2023(24) Asian Cup

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by almango, May 11, 2023.

1. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    Yeah he definitely should be. I had never even heard of him before this tournament. Might get some attention from some teams in Europe this guy.

2. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    My only 2 issues with what has otherwise been a great tournament is the somewhat unfair scheduling and the terrible officiating in some matches, which are to be expected in any tournament.

The penalty was a bit harsh, but I really don’t see why you give a yellow on top of it.

3. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    Qatar with a late goal! 3:2 now. Did VAR take a look if it was offsides? I thought it was close.

4. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    What a game

Hefty CB, Boysinblue and Live_Football23 repped this.
  5. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    They just showed the VAR graphic. He was indeed onside. Lazy defending by the Iranian RB. You have to be more aware in that situation.

6. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    That’s gotta be a red.

7. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Damn.

I cannot imagine being an Iran fan right now. Still no title when it looked to be theirs.

You beat perhaps the best Japanese team ever, only to lose to a very mediocre Qatar in the next match.

That must be a very bitter pill to swallow.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  8. rougou

rougou Member+

Dec 7, 2003
    Hyogo
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Very unlucky. Deflected goal for Qatar, then Iran hitting the inside of the post in injury time. And many other moments where it looked like Iran would score for sure.

persianfootball repped this.
  9. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    Game of the tournament imo. Congrats Qatar! They looked unimpressive against Uzbekistan. But they were very impressive here. Very even game. This game kept you on your feet the entire time!

So many surprises this tournament. Afif Best player of the tournament imo.

10. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    One of the best Asian Cups ever - no matter whom you support. Teams going at it. Absolutely thrilling stuff. Asian football is definitely on the rise.

Afif or Musa Tamari for player of the tournament.

BByliner and BUDOKAN repped this.
  11. Live_Football23

Real Madrid
    Iraq
    Dec 7, 2020
    Iran had their chances, but so did Qatar. Afif missed a clear one-on-one, and the ensuing chaos on the goal line after Irans equalizer, along with the numerous chances that Qatar missed after the Red. Also, a harsh penalty decision that favored Iran.

Iran played extremely well, but Qatar got a deserved win imo.

afar repped this.
  12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Congratulations to Qatar. They were the more deserving side tonight. I think Iran played very poorly in the first half but even playing better in the 2nd half, this wasn't going to be our night.

afar, Kamtedrejt and Live_Football23 repped this.
  13. Suren01

Suren01 Member+

Apr 9, 2012
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Iraq
    This Asian Cup is one of the strangest and tbh one of the worst as well. So many controversial moments... Today's game was 50/50. First half Qatar, after the equalizer Iran started to dominate more, especially in the injury time. Congrats Qatar, they played well today. Hard luck Iran.

Live_Football23 repped this.
  14. Mindozas

Mindozas New Member

Brazil
    May 5, 2014
    Lithuania
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Strange you didn't hear of him. He is one of the best Asian players playing in Asia for some 5 years, when he moved back from Europe to Al Sadd. I guess his wage should be impressive there and it would be hard to sign him from home country where he is a top star

afar, Boysinblue, Kamtedrejt and 2 others repped this.
  15. Shinović

Shinović Member

Jul 5, 2016
    AFTV Studio
    Since I jinxed Iranians earlier, I'll do it to the Qataris.

Congratulations to Qatar on their 2nd and consecutive Asian Cup.

:whistling:

16. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    So unlucky. But its hard to win a tournament without a defence. And our tactics was to play long balls.

I hope our next coach focus on our defence. But some people in here tries to shut our mouths for having opinions. This was Iran football as back in the 2000s

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The only time this game looked like it would be a walkover for Iran was between our early goal and their equalizer. Beiranvand, ordinarily good in distribution, literally killed the momentum kicking the ball out or back to Qatar on his restarts in those critical minutes when Qatar was really on the ropes. Fatigue and age were also beginning to show in the play of our over 34+ year olds, Haj Safi, Ebrahimi, and Khalilzadeh.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  18. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    Ha! No I did not know. But I do now. Thanks for the info

afar repped this.
  19. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Member

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Congratulations to Qatar. Well played and deserved win. Iran has no business winning the Asian Cup when they choke against minnows.

20. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Palestine scored against Iran
    UAE scored
    Syria scored
    Qatar scored 3…

we were used to never conceeding against these teams. I saw some good things this tournament and I saw some bad. Overall I Think we were very unlucky in this match, as he had many good changed and 2 of their goals were flukes.

So what do we need going forward? We dont need a coach like CQ who ONLY defence and we certantly dont need a coach like Ghalenoi who dont even know what defending means and only play long balls. We need something in between. That inbetween cant be found in Iran at the moment. I know some people Will get angry now because patriotism is everything to Them, but thats the reality.

We also need a coach who doesnt get too emotionel when playing arab teams. Again, no Iranian coach Can manage that. We need proffesionalism.

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    While tonight was terribly disappointing, it was not a shock for me. I knew we would either beat Qatar comfortably or end up losing. It is difficult to keep the mental sharpness to play well against a host team when the game is close, especially when your team literally brings them back into the game with all the mistakes made in the 1st half.

22. Shinović

Shinović Member

Jul 5, 2016
    AFTV Studio
    @teammellieIRANfan you alright, bro? You can come join rest of the AFC big boys corner and cry with us.

:D;)

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    That handball penalty either should not have been given or, if adjudged intentional, a YC would need to be given too. At first I didn't think it was intentional, but on replays I noticed the Qatar defender move in the direction of the shot using his hands to either gain an advantage or to perhaps protect his face.

24. Iran fan

Iran fan Member

Barcelona
    Iran
    Mar 30, 2022
    Im so sad. I have followed this team for so many years. I have travelled to so many World cups to support Them. I have never seen any form for success. Never advancing from the group. Never a final in the Asian Cup. Only misery and disappointment. I cant take this anymore. Its not worth it. And we have a very toxic iranian fanbase so it is even harder to speak to fellow rational iranian fans

25. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    So....Jordan v Qatar in the Final.

Is this reflective of a comparative decline from the traditional AFC powers, or a levelling up from nations that were not previously all that good?