2022 World Cup Qatar: Group C - Argentina vs. Poland

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 6, 2022.

1. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Argentina [​IMG] Match 39 [​IMG]Poland
    30 November 2022
    22:00 local time (11:00 AM PST / 2:00 PM EST)​

Venue: Stadium 974 (Doha, Qatar) - 40,000 capacity -- famously known for incorporating shipping containers into its structure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------

Historical head-to-head record:

[​IMG]

11 games played: 6 Argentina wins, 2 draws, 3 Poland wins

The two sides have previously faced each other twice at the World Cup stage, each raking in one win (3-2 Poland victory in Round 1 Group Stage in the 1974 WC; decisive 2-0 Argentina victory in Round 2 Group Stage in 1978 WC)

All other matches were international friendlies.

[​IMG]

The most recent encounter between the two sides was a 2011 friendly, which finished 2-1 in favor of Poland (Marco Ruben scored Argentina's only goal). Argentina presented an extremely alternative side that day (I'm talking names like Gabbarini, Bottinelli, Bertolo, Cabral, Cristaldo, etc. :confused::confused::confused:), and thus no players from the current squad were present.

------------------------------------------

Poland's form leading up to the WC:

- Finished second in Group E of the UEFA WCQs (behind England), getting past Russia (withdrew) and Sweden (2-0 win) in the playoff process. In total, their qualifying campaign consisted of 7 wins, 2 draws, and 2 losses (1-2 to England and 1-2 to Hungary)

- Most recent UEFA Euro participation: 2020 (held in 2021), fourth place in Group E (0 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses)

- Most recent UEFA Nations League participation: 2020-21, third place Group A1 (2 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses)

- 5 most recent results:
    - June 2022: 2-2 vs. Netherlands
    - June 2022: 0-1 L vs. Belgium
    - September 2022: 0-2 L vs. Netherlands
    - September 2022: 1-0 W vs. Wales
    - November 2022: 1-0 W vs. Chile​

johnbarley2 and soul24rage repped this.
  2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Teams like Poland can be tricky just like Denmark, Switzerland, Sweden or even Iceland. They could be hard to break if they decided to defend with 7-8.

I remember Greece in 2010, even though we beat them 2-0, we didnt break their defence until very late in the game. Hell, they went all the way in Euro 2004 with that.

Sweden in 2002 spent the whole game defending, we have close to 70% possession and countless shots but it ended 1-1.

Unlike African or Asian sides, when European team decided to park the bus, they often really good at doing it. In fact African and Asian teams usually just play openly without afraid of being thrashed but European team would be more than willing to park the bus if needed.

3. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Poland got spanked 6-1 v Belgium.

Christina99 repped this.
  4. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Im not afraid of this Poland at all. Not much better than Estonia...

5. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't watch Poland that often, but seems like the team that started was a mix of A and B players. Would need to watch more of them to see if this is a one off or if it's actually their level.

6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In terms of football, this is perhaps nothing… But…

7. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I predict this will be the starting XI vs Poland

--------------------Alvarez
    ------------------------Messi
    Acuna, MacA, Enzo, De Paul, Molina
    ------Lisandro, Otamendi, Romero
    -------------------Dibu

If my gut feeling is correct, my hope is that:

-Palacios to be subbed in for De Paul
    -A. Correa to be subbed in for Alvarez
    -Maybe Paredes if we need another midfielder.
    -Maybe Di Maria for Acuna to rest his pulbagia injury

ganapordiego repped this.
  8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be happier if De Paul is benched as well. Enzo & Julian must start.

locoxriver repped this.
  9. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    -Agree with you on De Paul, I would play both MacA, Paredes, Enzo but don't think Scaloni will bench him

-Enzo should be locked in as a starter going forward

-Agree that Alvarez should start, from the past 2 matches Lautaro was moving not well.

ganapordiego and charlie15 repped this.
  10. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wish, but I don't think Scaloni will drop Lautaro...

Anyway I can see Lautaro bagging his first vs Poland (hopefully)

11. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Enzo needs to start every game.

I predict we will play much better this game. I wont risk saying any score *anulomufa*, but we will do well, some kind of weight have been lifted today (in the 2nd half).

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lautaro is either injured or has nothing in the tank. He is rather ponderous and totally transparent. Julian would give fits to the Poland defense, not the fastest one by any means.

johnbarley2 and ganapordiego repped this.
  13. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Lautaro isn't injured or out form he had 2 flawless finishes last game. He barely got any service aside from a cross.

14. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    Lineup against Poland has to be this:

Dibu
    Montiel - Ota- Martinez- Acuna
    ADM RDP(Weak WC performances so far, but wont be benched), Paredes ( think he will get another shot) and Enzo
    Messi and L.Martinez.

Martinez didnt have any service today, because Mexico were camping with one point. Wouldnt fault him today, couldnt do anything with their campy football.

ganapordiego and Milwaukee Joe repped this.
  15. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lautaro & Julian both needs to open their account or they'd continue to struggle. Lautaro was even worst in Copa before he scored a tap in againts Bolivia, and then he'd scored again in QF & semi.

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. Only Batigol with his canon could possibly found the way to beat that 8 players wall.

Also, Lautaro has been replaced before Messi goal I think? He'd probably have done something in last 20 minutes when the game has been opening up.

17. Riquelme100

Riquelme100 Member

Villarreal
    Argentina
    Jun 30, 2018
    5 minutes of pure roller coaster of emotions. Poor Aimar, he looks like he`s about to have mental breakdown.

SupaMario and ganapordiego repped this.
  18. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    We need to sort out our midfield from this match. Our midfield was non existent for 3 of the four halves we have played in this WC. It is more to do with the tactics than the players themselves. We must play defenders as defenders, midfielders as midfielders and strikers as strikers. No more deeplying playmaker bullshit….. we do not have any player who is good to play this role anyway and it only leaves a huge gap in our midfield and disjoint attack from defence which results in passing between the CBs and FBs who occupy the flanks. We are a team with short forwards, so please let’s attack most of the time through the middel.

19. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Don't care what the team is as long as Enzo plays and Guido doesn't.

I'd like so see RDP benched too but that will never happen.

Loco repped this.
  20. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Three thoughts:
    • I'd like to see Lautaro and Alvarez play together; might need to limit DiMaria's minutes.
    • Enzo should be a starter now. Messi has been waiting to play with a player like Enzo at the NT the whole time. RDP, Enzo and Paredes in the midfield is perfect for Leo
    • Cuti might be the best defender for Lewa. Otamendi can't play 90mins and Licha has "short comings"
    We need to get 3pts from this game. That puts us in first place in the group

locoxriver repped this.
  21. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    If Di Maria starts, we know what will happen. Our attack will mostly go down the right flank and it will be Di Maria dribbling in isolation and then crossing it. Very hard to score like that against a closed Poland defense. We need more trickery with quick combo passing to create an opening in the box or set up a long range shot. Thinking Messi, Correa/Almada, Lautaro/Julian with midfield support from Enzo and Mac/RDP/Palacios.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Absolutely. Do you all remember the moment in Copa America against Colombia when Dibu took over the starting job without a shadow of a doubt?

I think we just had a similar moment against Mexico with Enzo. He took it. Just like with Dibu on goal, the starting job in midfield is now his for the foreseeable future.

He is starting, no doubt about it.

johnbarley2, Patoeber, SupaMario and 2 others repped this.
  23. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #23 johnbarley2, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    Rewatching the 2nd half to see the effect of the subs. First half the problem is clearly that our midfield can't bring the ball up at all. Mac is too advanced so nobody gives it to him. Best that can be done is to give it to the 2 fullbacks + Di Maria on the flanks but that doesn't do any good. Messi finally drops back and that finally works except He mass it to RDP who loses it with a bad touch. Took 15 minutes to bring one ball to the final 3rd!

In the first 25 min RDP lost 4 balls in dangerous positions! Did have a couple of good interceptions.
    Guido is just super conservative.
    Mac I think should have dropped back more but I assume he was following instructions.
    Overall that mid 3 is so undynamic.

Only times we were able to get ball into attacking positions was
    1) Wwhen Messi dropped way back in which case he plays some passes with the LEFT flank including Lautaro, Mac, Acuna. This is why we need a left flank player. Messi interacts more on that side.
    2) Di Maria solo dribbles on the flank.

24. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    We didn't start playing until finally Enzo came in. He was involved in first goal as I mentioned. Palacios entry too helped, with him I can't really pinpoint tangibles but he gives me confidence over Mac. That and maybe, just maybe 3 in the back is the right formation for us

locoxriver repped this.
  25. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    This might not be a bad mid. Paredes x Guido if too static.
    ---Guido---
    Palacios-Enzo

I know RDP is the lungs of the squad but you play the most in-form players. If a player is very important but out of form, give them a trial. Well, RDP came into the cup in poor form, he got 2 chances, and played very poorly in both.

charlie15 repped this.