2022 World Cup Qatar: Group C - Argentina vs. Mexico

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 6, 2022.

1. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Ya everyone does it but I think we're worse than most in starting young players.

Experience is an excuse. Picking top players on current form will always give you enough vets. In our case we would still have Messi, Di Maria, Otamendi, Dibu... actually almost everyone in our team is a vet except Enzo and a couple others. Real reason is people don't want to drop fan favorites.

You're right about Scaloni. Only mistake I see was Paredes rathe than Guido when the former is way out of form and Guido has been great. But even this is understandable given our winning run. Second is Garnacho who is a tactically perfect fit

2. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Let me ask you this. Who is not at the World Cup that should be here? I see Garnacho’s name mentioned but I said this a few times already, if Garnacho came to the season prepared, he would’ve had more game time and would likely be at the World Cup, like Enzo. But he caught on fire a month ago or so and it was a bit too late for him to come along. At least in the eyes of Scaloni. Personally, I would have taken him but I cannot really fault Scaloni for leaving him out.

But who else is missing that should be there?

3. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Almada since we don't need another attacking mid. We have Correa for that. On the other hand we have no pure left winger which is the gap that Nico left.

Don't care if he only has played a month. He's was named Manchester United player of the month. But you can just watch him play. It's obvious he is in top form, plays on the left, has pace, can dribble his man.

WC is a snapshot of most in form players at the moment. Not a career accomplishment reward. That's how I see it. No reason to think a player who has been poor for 6 months will suddenly regain form for the few world cup matches. Especially this one with no gap between club and tournament.

4. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So, going back and watching highlights v our last match v Mexico… Lautaro scored a goal that probably would have been called offside by this VAR. This made it 2-0 and pretty much put the game away. Look at the time…
    0020C5F2-333A-41B4-B157-25BDDFF4E283.jpeg

Messi’s goal… that was called back(Perhaps rightfully) the time was almost the same, which would have made it 2-0… Look at the time…

1BA734D9-5FBC-4D95-8D57-D1CF752B8451.jpeg

[​IMG]

5. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    mexico won’t have anything to play for in their final game though as they’ll be eliminated once they lost to us of Saudi wins their second match

6. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Reminds me of the clearly offside goal Tevez scored against Mexico in our 3-1 win. I normally like Mexico. We've normally beaten them... hopefully their gods don't take revenge tomorrow.

7. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's exactly the thing though. Of course you can't fault Scaloni for not taking a kid with a handful of games. That's the easy thing to do.

Taking a young kid is obviously a risk. A wild card that'll give you nothing or a big reward. A risk we never have the balls to take.

8. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Again, no. Mexico will still have a chance in qualifying even if they lose tomorrow.

9. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not really. Let's say after 2nd match, both Argentina and Saudi Arabia win

Saudi Arabia 6
    Argentina 3
    Mexico 1
    Poland 1

All final group stage matches occur at the same time, so Mexico still has something to play for depending on the GD.

Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Our success should not be predicated on an 18 year old who had a hot month.

Christina99 repped this.
  11. Patoeber

Patoeber Member

Argentina
    Apr 3, 2014
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Come on, you know I never said such thing. You are better than that.

12. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We have disallowed goal in 2006 when Roman played the ball fo Aimar and Airnar assisted Messi. Replay showed it was ONside.

Its forgotten incident because the magnitute of Maxi's goal. It just wiped the rest of the game from memory lol

johnbarley2, Burr, DTCrackheads and 2 others repped this.
  13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at that match vs Mexico in 2006. Sensational goal.
    Back to that game tomorrow, Romero has no business starting, either Paredes or De Paul should be benched as well, if not both ,and ADM should be a supersub. Lisandro and Julian should start!

14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decent line up although De Paul is an issue. He was terrible vs SA and has been a shadow of his former self at Atletico Madrid this season.

15. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can’t explain why, but I just have a sensation Di Maria will score tomorrow vs Mexico

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My prediction, Lautaro, Messi & ADM will score. Its 3-0 or 3-1. I feels that our defence has yet to reach their usual level. Cuti isnt fit, Acuna fitness is question mark aswell, Tagli is always limited , Dibu tend to sleep if he's not busy.

ganapordiego repped this.
  17. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He has relationship problem , I think his former GF took him to the court or something like that. It might have more impact on his personal life than I thought.

charlie15 repped this.
  18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, that would depend on the Poland - Saudi Arabia result, of course. They play first.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like Montiel over Molina, he's the better marker and will have to guard Mexico's best player, Chuckie Lozano. Acuña if he's 100 percent should start over Tagliafico. And, Cuti is our best defender but he's not fully fit, Lisandro has to start. So that's three quarters of the defense.

In midfield, Guido, who's played in Mexico, over Paredes, who's also not 100 percent. I'd play MacAllister with De Paul. He's the closest to Lo Celso. Enzo could be a second half substitution, as well as Julian.

So,

Dibu
    Montiel, Lisandro, Ottamendi, Acuña,
    Guido
    De Paul, Mac Allister
    Messi, Di Maria
    Lautaro

Vamos!!!

Siempre_Albiceleste repped this.
  20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Regardless of the Poland - Saudi Arabia result they'd have a chance

Poland win --

Poland - 4
    Saudi - 3
    Argentina - 3
    Mexico - 1​

Mexico with a win in the last game could qualify as second (directly if Argentina loses to Poland, or based on GD if Argentina wins or ties)

Saudi win --

Saudi - 6
    Argentina - 3
    Mexico - 1
    Poland - 1
    Mexico with a win in the last game could qualify on GD if Argentina loses or draws to Poland

Draw --

Saudi - 4
    Argentina - 3
    Poland - 2
    Mexico - 1
    Mexico with a win in the last game could qualify based on GD with any of the three outcomes of Argentina - Poland, technically even having the chance to finish first in the group (if Argentina and Poland draw, Mexico would have the same points as Saudi Arabia and Argentina and could top the group on GD).

In short, Mario is right that Mexico will still be alive in the group even if they lose to Argentina. They will have something to play for in the last game.

SupaMario repped this.
  21. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Saudi draw Poland will be the best result.

22. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would have brought Garnacho and Medina. Garnacho is incredibly raw but all it takes is one bursting run to create a cutback and goal. A pinpoint cross or a moment of trickery or sheer pace to earn a penalty or free kick and a card for the opposition.

He's completely unafraid. It's like England bringing Owen in 1998.

As for the result between Poland and Saudi Arabia a draw would be ideal. We just have to make sure we do our job and focus on our ninety minutes irrespective of that result. However it would mean going to the last game Poland would have to come out which always favours us.

Rattlehead and charlie15 repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Owen dived in both 98 & 02, even admitted to Poch who tackled him in 02, albeit in joking manner.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I would prefer a Poland win vs SA. If we beat Mexico, it could be a better situation since a win vs Poland may give Argentina the top spot in the group, assuming that Mexico can win or tie vs SA.

Christina99 and Amuseddaysleeper repped this.
  25. Amuseddaysleeper

Jul 8, 2014
    This is what I was thinking

charlie15 repped this.