Pre-match: 2022 World Cup Oranje qualifying matches

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would like to see Koop get a start i.p.o. Wijnaldum against Latvia or Gibraltar

2. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    That's why I would drop Rensch. Timber and Ake and Blind can play for more than 1 positions but IMO they "do not own the position" (the way FDJ, VVD, Memphis or Dumfries do, if they are available they start; Blind is still debatable but he is 1st choice as LB atm). I can understand that as the backup LVG wants player that can play more than 1 position but Rensch is not, and hence he should be dropped. Let's see if LVG change his mind in November. Statistically speaking, LVG had 2 new faces: Flekken and Lang. We may expect 2 new faces in November if some players can play well at the clubs and get notice like Lang. This is a good sign.

3. We actually almost never had more than one very good goalie at any given time.

4. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    De Goer and a young VDS I believe? I thought Cillesen and Steak made each other better but neither were world class.

5. Ed de Goeij and Edwin van der Sar were both top class goalies, but that was a fluke.
    Since both retired it's been hovering just above average to more or less good.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Thanks for correcting my spelling. And you are right, you guys have produces outstanding players all over the field but your goalie development has left a lot to be desired. Might require a thorough root to branch report.

Addition: it was not just me marvel that De Goeij look like a 20-year beat reporter though he was in his early 30s.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Flekken with another blank sheet against Mainz today

8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So I had a lot of haters, but I always thought Berghuis and Klaassen should be in the starting XI.

However, I dont think this will win us WC2022, it will only get us to the QF (at least under vGaal).

wilson00 repped this.
  10. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I can see that point at the moment, but it is still more than a year away. We will likely to improve at wingers, midfields and goalkeepers. If we can improve LB and all the core players are healthy and on top of their forms we will have a decent chance to go further than QF and win it all. Our defense when healthy is one of the best in the world.

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You have world class players at CB and RB. LB is a concern. You have Frenkie at 8 and a mercurial Memphis up top. The remaining positions don't require world class just complimentary players to your start contingent.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm pretty drunk you guys, sorry for the Pet Shop Boys:

bunbohue repped this.
  13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    West end girls or gtfo

Oranje Agony and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Fair points all-around

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Maastricht.................Maastricht!!!!!!!!!!!!

bunbohue repped this.
  17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    MAASTRICHT!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Indeed. I’d say Frenkie is WC in his best position as well; so good, so consistent. Depay is leaning against it after making strides since moving to Barcelona. Only one subpar game from him since arriving but that wasn’t only on him (vs Bayern).

It’s still premature but I’m liking Berghuis more as a midfielder than as a wide player up to this point and after his most recent interview it seems he’s liking it too. His creativity and ability to give that final pass as well as get into good scoring positions is just what we were missing all this time. A number 10. Masterstroke by Ten Hag.

With that being said, seeing as we have little to no alternative for a pure RW in a 433 I don’t think van Gaal will deploy him as a midfielder unfortunately. Klaassen has done well but I’m still not 100% sold on him. I think Berghuis has more potential on that spot.

richsavare repped this.
  19. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Right on cue... Danjuma started today. Looked just okay, rating-wise. Subbed off before the hour mark.

Deadtigers and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  20. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Like you said, rating-wise, which can give a deceptive look at how a player has done as it doesn’t look at lack of service a player has received.

Villarreal were simply terrible as their overall rating would also likely suggest. Very similar to Depay or Frenkie’s ratings vs Bayern. They both did well with what they were given.

Only looking at ratings is mostly a very poor way to judge a player. I watched the game and Danjuma did all he could with the little he got, which was close to nothing.

BaritoPutra repped this.
  21. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was switching in between feyenoord and PSV game and did what he could from the very little of ball he saw.

22. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Totally agreed. Absurd decision. Let it be said once again Luuk De Jong is a shite player.

23. https://www.transfermarkt.nl/mark-flekken/profil/spieler/125714
    Was until 16 with Roda:
    upload_2021-9-21_22-58-52.png

24. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Groeneveld just scored for Villarreal. come on Van Gaal.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't see him in the team sheet nor do I think he plays for the Spanish team.