Pre-match: 2022 World Cup Oranje qualifying matches

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Mar 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    READ THIS POST!!! I warned two forum members for using insulting language and edited posts. You can insult FdB, Luukinho, or any other player/manager. You CANNOT insult one another or you will get points against you which may lead to temporary or permanent suspension from this forum. It's fine to argue things over but if you get carried away you will be dealt with.

This is the first and last word on this topic so YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anyone can find this out by going to their profile page.

ADDED: The infraction system is on. 1 point for bad language. 2 for content. 5 for behavior. 10 for spam. All points last a month. Yellow card automatically happens when you have ten points and ages off. Red card at 20 and ages off. Permanant red card at 30.

3. https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...ig-was-en-klaassen-in-gebreke-bleef~a6cc589a/
    Rapportcijfers Oranje | Waarom Dumfries niet nodig was en Klaassen in gebreke bleef

Het Nederlands elftal heeft de uitwedstrijd tegen Gibraltar in de WK-kwalificatie met 7-0 gewonnen. Oranje nam na rust ver afstand van de thuisploeg, nadat bondscoach Frank de Boer tweemaal aanvallend gewisseld had. Verslaggever Mikos Gouka legde Oranje, zoals na elke interland, weer langs de meetlat.

Mikos Gouka 30-03-21, 23:35 Laatste update: 30-03-21, 23:37
    Tim Krul 6
    De doelman van Oranje kreeg (uiteraard) niets te doen.

Denzel Dumfries 5,5
    De rechtsback kreeg een enorme kans om de score te openen. Werd in de rust naar de kant gehaald, want was eigenlijk niet nodig tegen deze tegenstander.

Matthijs de Ligt 6
    De verdediger van Juve had eenmaal een probleem met spits De Barr, waar Blind hulp bood. Verder slechts doorgeefluik in de aanvalsopbouw.

Daley Blind 6
    Blind greep op tijd in bij de enige kans voor Gibraltar, maar kwam zo ongelukkig terecht dat moet worden gevreesd voor zwaar blessureleed. Niet zijn knie, maar zijn enkel volgens de bondscoach.

Owen Wijndal 6
    De linksback kwam pas diep in de tweede helft los met een voorzet met de kop op Wijnaldum en met de assist bij de goal van Memphis.

Georginio Wijnaldum 6
    Maakte zijn 22ste doelpunt in Oranje. Maar de vrije kopkans die hij niet maakte, had zeker nummer 23 moeten zijn.

Davy Klaassen 5
    Klaassen scoorde tegen de Turken maar bleef tegen Letland en Gibraltar op nul steken. Waar hij bij Ajax zo scherp is in de afronding, bleef hij nu in gebreke.

Frenkie de Jong 6

De Jong voerde na rust het tempo zonder tot geniale ingevingen te komen tegen de voetbaldwerg.

Steven Berghuis 6,5

Berghuis opende net als tegen Letland met een geplaatste bal de score. Verzorgde ook de assist bij de 0-2. Verzuimde nog wel een één op één met de keeper te verzilveren.

Luuk de Jong 6,5

De spits kreeg voor rust nauwelijks een bespeelbare bal. Maar net als tegen de Turken en de Letten maakte hij wederom een doelpunt. Drie op een rij.

Memphis 6,5

De aanvaller liet zich in de tweede helft zien. Met twee doelpunten hield hij een goed gevoel over aan de avond in Gibraltar.

Wissels
    Donyell Malen 6:
    Een doelpunt tien minuten na zijn invalbeurt.

Ryan Gravenberch 6,5: Een helft voor de Ajacied, die rechts in de zone degelijk speelde. De gele kaart was een tegenvaller, nog eentje in de kwalificatiereeks en hij is geschorst

Donny van de Beek - : Kort na zijn invalbeurt meteen trefzeker.

Calvin Stengs - : Een korte invalbeurt waarbij vooral zijn veel te harde corner opviel.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Okay, so next time someone baits me with veiled insults I will report the post to a moderator instead of retaliating.

Fair enough??

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    C’mon guys, be civil and don’t insult each other. We have one thing in common - that is, we hate FdB... so let’s insult him instead :p:D

Kidding... just doing my part to cool things down. And can’t resist not to take a dig on Frank :laugh: Alas, he is saved for now. Let’s see if he survives the summer (post Euro).

richsavare and Jpows repped this.
  6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Correct, I will take action.

7. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    So you can get away with actually insulting someone by using "baiting" and "veiled insults" as an excuse? Just making sure. Cause that excuse can be used by anyone at any point as it becomes an arbitrary point.

I hope when something is reported that it will be investigated properly if it was actually baiting or if it is just being used as an excuse so that action will be taken against the right person.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If anyone feels they are being mistreated send me a PM and I will look into it. I don't want to be Orwellian and I cannot read every single post. I have a high tolerance but insulting others is not good.

Jpows repped this.
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #385 Brilliant Dutch, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Here's what I think, Koeman recognizes that Luuk has a knack for scoring important goals at important times. He proved that against N. Ireland and he proved that in the EL final for Sevilla with 2 beautiful headers. He was also MOTM. Thats why Koeman picked him ahead of Malen.

So while I do agree with everyone else that Weghorst should at the very least be on the bench (and perhaps even start), the pecking order right now ought to be Weghorst or Luuk, and then Malen.

I watched Malen in EL against Olympicaos and he sucked big time. All he's done so far is score in goals in Holland, and thats not good enough to become an automatic starter for Oranje.

Having said all that, neither Luuk or Malen wouldve cracked our starting lineup in 2010 or 2014, they both kinda suck

10. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    For Euro tourney in June, I really (hope) wish that FdB had the balls to spice things up and slightly re-tweak his tactic. We saw it yesterday with V.d. Looi and J.O came out with a dynamic all-out attack 4-2-4, that quickly turn to a 4-4-2 when losing possession. That might work as well for Oranje Sr. given the current player selection.

The thing with J.O yesterday, V.d. Looi deployed Kluivert as the striker to partner Boadu. That was clearly a mistake as Kluivert was too small, too weak to challenge the opposing the center half -- and he had a huge tendency drifting to the side (he is a winger after all), that left gaping hole in the center and defeated the entire purpose of having 2 target men. Once that mistake was fixed (Brobbey sub'd in for Kluivert) - the engine clicked and the goal festivities began.

What that might look like for Oranje Sr is that Memphis and Luuk will be the striking partners. Supported by Berghuis in the right flank, and another wide player in the left. Could be Malen, Stengs, Bergwijn - heck, I would even try out Gakpo (whom BTW, FdB is leaving the door open to). Anybody but Babel :speechless:

Memphis is the best and most productive Oranje striker at the moment, he really needs to be deployed in the center position, which brings the best out of him. Unlike Kluivert with J.O, he has a much better discipline to stay in the center (and he really likes playing there anyway!)

Four attackers would overwhelm the defense, and it'd be hard to contain. And Oranje can take a small risk defensively. They have one the best defensive pairs at the back... De Vrij and De Ligt (both are absolute stars in the defensive-minded Italian league). And who knows, Virgil would even bolster the selection.

Two workhorses in the center midfield: Frenkie and Gini.

The casualty in this setup is the "usual" third midfielder Klaassen/De Roon/V.d. Beek --- which, in reality, they haven't been exactly convincing and are always subject to ridicule.

Memphis - Luuk

Malen/Stengs Berghuis

Wijnaldum - Frenkie

Back Four

Make it work De Boer!

EDIT - Ah, the formation didn't come out well in typing, Malen & Berghuis are slightly behind the front two... and they are slated wide.

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think its a nice idea, but the midfield would get overrun without a true holding midfielder (unless you wanna count Frenkie or Gigi as DMF'ers).

Oranje hasnt had a true DMF since Edgard Davids or vBommel IMO

12. Kelvin Cheung

Kelvin Cheung Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    May 13, 2019
    I trust Gravenbach will be a very potential candidate to fill this DMF

13. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Gini often drops pretty deep in Liverpool, he is a tireless worker, covers a lot ground and tracks back well. I think he will do well in CM — the slight concern is that this setup may take away the goalscoring opportunity from him (which theoretically and hopefully somebody else will step in).

Frenkie is predominantly starting his move from his own half already. So he’s operating as a deep-lying playmaker (Pirlo-esque) should be fine!

And the likelihood is that the three opposing teams in the group stage will do a lot sitting back and defending... so might as well double down on the offense!! The best defense is to attack!

DutchHuskie and richsavare repped this.
  14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Potentially, yes.
    Currently, not yet

15. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Any decent side will be happy watching Berghuis cut inside constantly and not have the ability to get outside his defender.
    No pace and no right peg.
    He does not combine well with any right back either.
    Predictable and not dynamic.
    Luuk De Jong cannot combine and does not have the ability to do much of anything other then head the ball.
    Zero pace does not help.
    Having these 2 players leads to a very disjointed team that De Boer puts out, and when you add other slow guys like Davy Klaassen.
    I have no idea what Frank is watching.

DutchHuskie repped this.
  16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I totally agree with you.
    Frenkie needs to develop some long range shooting.
    No better trainer in this skill then his current Barca Boss

17. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Really like the idea of Gravenberch playing with Frenkie as both are superior passers.
    Critical element for Oranje is their distribution and creativity.
    Both need to work on their long range shooting.

18. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Gravenberch and Frenkie is the dream. We just need a creative attacking player to join them. I would hope Stengs can fill in that role as he has shown to be really creative in that position.

Ideally Ihattaren would be the perfect number 10 for us. He’s hopelessly out of form and on top of it having disciplinary issues. Smh. Not looking good.

On the plus side Gakpo seems to have finally recovered and back into form. Surely he’ll get called up if he keeps this up. Better than most of our wide players atm.

I’d also love to see Karsdorp given a chance at least at RB. He deserves it.

richsavare repped this.
  19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #395 Brilliant Dutch, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    How about Cocu as Oranje's next manager?

(that was a joke, people)

20. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Where’s Cocu these days?!? He was unable to guide Derby & Wayne Rooney to promotion last I remembered...

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Currently unemployed I think.

BTW scroll your cursor over my previous post you'll see it was my April Fool's Day joke about Cocu :D

He would actually be worse than De Boer, if that's even possible

22. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    LOL... got it. I am gullible. :oops::laugh:

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BaritoPutra repped this.
  24. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    My prediction for the Oranje Euro 20/21 squad.... I simply assume 3 GK's and 2 for each position + 2 or 3 extra players if UEFA moves forward with the proposal.

GK: Cillessen, Krul, Bizot

LB: Wijndal, Blind (if fit - otherwise Van Aanholt)
    CB: De Ligt, De Vrij, Ake, Virgil (if fit - otherwise Botman)
    RB: Dumfries, Veltman

CM1: F. De Jong, Koopmeiners
    CM2: De Roon, Gravenberch
    AM: Wijnaldum, Klaassen

RW: Berghuis, Stengs
    ST: L. De Jong, Malen
    LW: Memphis, Babel

Extra: Weghorst, V.d. Beek, Gakpo(!!)

Narrowly missed out: Virgil/Botman, Bergwijn, St. Juste, Boadu, Tete, Stekelenburg