2022 World Cup bid decision critical for U.S. soccer growth

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by CACuzcatlan, Nov 29, 2010.

1. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2022 World Cup bid decision critical for U.S. soccer growth

This could really help MLS in a few ways I hadn't thought about.

1 person likes this.
  2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will it help? Yes. Is it "critical"? No.

3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any recent odds out there on our chances? I would think that logically we have a very strong argument relative to our competitors for 2022.

Of course, with FIFA logic doesn't apply.

4. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    what bothers me is that countries like Australia are actually promising FIFA that they will advance the game in their country. Australia is promising to set up a stable second division to combine with the A-League for promotion/relegation with the money that they would generate from the World Cup.

Sunil and Garber are promising nothing but potential growth in interest in the sport.

Lame.

5. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The A-League is hanging on for dear life. Anything the Australian federation promises is about as likely to happen as a fall-spring MLS schedule. There's no way Australia can support a second division, let alone pro-rel, given that their current top division has so may problems right now.

What USSF is promising is to leverage the incredible power of World Cup rights to ensure more expose and better coverage of MLS. Any notion of pro-rel in the US or Australia is pure fantasy.

6. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    and FIFA really likes money.

so, Gulati and Garber promising potential growth in interest in the sport is exactly what FIFA would want to hear (from this huge market that apparently has significant soccer business and money-making potential).

7. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Australia takes themselves way too seriously since they decided to call soccer "football" back in 2005.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont believe it is critical nor does the growth of the sport have any dependence on it. Without it, the sport will continue to grow at the same pace it has been which is slow and steady. Slow and steady is good growth because it generally means stable growth.

Getting the WC will give the growth of the sport a big boost and there is no denying that. But, I dont think it is in anyway critical or reliant on it. I think the USMNT having success at a WC can provide the same kind of boost no matter where it is held.

9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fifa runs like a DMV office in New York or any city for that matter.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Undoubtedly.

And to be fair, it seems the favorite according to the bookies for the 2012 Cup is Qatar. What is Qatar promising? Money, cash, lavish hotels for FIFA representatives, etc.

Australia and Qatar are harmed by the fact they're from the same confederation, and China has already decided they want to host in 2026. (And you know FIFA would love to milk that China cash cow)

Soccer in the US would benefit greatly from another world cup....but it's not critical. After all, this is 12 years from now. Who knows what the US soccer landscape will look like at that time.

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    One would think that the US has a great shot. 1994 was the most successful World Cup (in terms of money and attendance, etc.) and also "launched" MLS.
    -And, as other people have posted, FIFA likes money.

It will also have been almost 30 years ago by the time 2022 rolls around.

The most concerning thing is that, although the votes for 2018 and 2022 are both scheduled for December 2, 2010, I just saw on Sky Sports over the weekend (and reported on the BBC and other outlets) that they will vote on 2018 first. Once the results are in, they will vote on 2022.

If FIFA grants 2018 to England (which is the frontrunner, from what I have read), I seriously doubt they would award 2022 to the US. I just don't think they will award it to the US if England gets 2018. United States, Australia, Qatar, Japan and South Korea are vying to stage the 2022 finals.

As for Australia, I think FIFA would really like to award to them. I don't know why, though.

There are several problems, though. First is the stadium issue. Their primary sports (played in the biggest stadia) Aussie Rules Football and Rugby play during the "Winter" months of June and July. Some teams are already balking at shutting down the leagues for a month or two for the World Cup, as was mentioned on Fox Soccer Channel last week.

The second problem is the time delay. The games would have to be shown at really odd times due to the time difference. Either they would play the games at odd hours (not likely) or they would be shown at odd hours (like 2002).

Third, since Australia is now part of the AFC, it would awarding the World Cup to an AFC nation, when 2002 was hosted by two AFC nations (South Korea and Japan). It has only be held in CONCACAF three times (and one of those was an "emergency" hosting in Mexico, due to problems in Columbia) and not since 1994. That would be 2 out 5 World Cups held in "Asia."

Foruth, is awarding it to two English speaking countries in a row (and 3 out of 4, if one includes South Africa this year. Yes, I know they speak multiple languages in South Africa).

I don't think they will give it to Qatar. The weather and the instability in the region would be major concerns.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9199020.stm

If the 2018 games are awarded to any country but England, I think the US has a terrific shot. England is competing with Russia, Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium to host the 2018 tournament. Not sure why Spain included Portugal in a joint bid, but South America is backing their bid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9225637.stm

Sorry about the long post.

I would love to see it in the United States, but I really think it depends on what happens with the 2018 vote.

Getting on topic, I think the 2022 decision is huge for US Soccer and MLS, but not critical. If US Soccer does not get the 2022 games, they should keep bidding until they do.

12. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Qatar has been deemed a "high risk" as of last week's report.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9199020.stm

13. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need to fear, Morgan Freeman is going with the bid committee to stump for us. If God cannot convince FIFA, i don't know who can.

14. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    If FIFA (creates and then) awards the 2012 Word Cup to Qatar, I would think that greatly helps the US bid to get the 2022 World Cup.

but if bookies are actually taking bets that Qatar will host the 2012 World Cup, I'm going to bet heavily on that not happening.

15. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agreed. Though I would say it would be a 'very big help.'

Something to build towards, and then something to build off will be nice. But the 12 years passage of time will probably be more important.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to point out that if we get the Cup in 2022, there won't be any qualifiers in that cycle.

17. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there will be for 2018 and SUM will get ESPN/ABC to do whatever they want in return for the 2022 rights.

18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As it stands, Russia is the prohibitive favorite on the Paddy Power lines for 2018:

Russia - 8/11
    Spain & Portugal - 9/4
    England - 3/1
    Belgium and Netherlands - 40/1

From what I can tell, Qatar is such a sure thing that just about every site has stopped receiving bets for the 2022 host. The last odds had Qatar at roughly 1/2, with Australia at 3/1, and the United States at 7/2.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on what the goal is.

MLS and the USSF aren't going away. More SSS being built, more jersey sponsors, more growth in fanbase, etc. - it is happening.

But I think we'd all be kidding ourselves if we tried to make light of how much impact hosting would have.

If the US team continues its growth and development, by the time '22 comes around, it would be a very serious contender to do well. (Semis wouldn't be unrealistic and beyond that anything is possible.) And THAT would take MLS into a whole new level.

This is a HUGE opportunity to take soccer in the US from being a marginally successful sports story to one of the Big Five (if not bigger than one, maybe two of them). Obviously, it depends on who you ask, but right now, the average NHL franchise is worth $150-$200 mil. This is the kind of thing that can take what has been slow, steady growth over the last 15 years to significantly faster growth.

Without the World Cup, MLS and soccer in the US in general will continue to grow. But the impact will be +/-50% less than it would if we hosted.

20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since when is FFA promising to implement a national second division and pro/rel? The latest out of FFA is that they are starting a competition committee to look into a national second division similar to how MLS has started a competition committee to look into switching to a fall/spring schedule.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/ffa-ponders-second-tier-competition-20101123-185j4.html

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow! Thanks for the information. That runs quite the opposite of what the news organizations are saying. It did not occur to me to look at betting lines.

Fascinating stuff.

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    In the case of '22, what I've read is that there's not enough betting action on it to put out a line. Most of the betting action on WC hosting is English people betting either on, or against, their home country.

23. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the lines on '22 are way to close to actually show a sure fire winner.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think Steve Davis put it well:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_davis/11/29/us.2022bid/index.html#ixzz16ivavwdJ

25. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean if the US hosts the 2022 WC, then all the USMNT fans would start supporting MLS teams? Cool.