2022 WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Primitive Ways, Jul 17, 2018.

1. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Just bought my flight to Ecuador. How is Parque La Carolina as a district to stay in?

2. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I think I read a comment somewhere that stated that he doesn’t want to go there because they’re not in the champions league. I don’t think Villarreal qualified to the CL anyways.

Do you remember that game against Uruguay that he was getting outmuscled? That one that we lost in the last seconds. He really improved after that. He’s probably gonna get wrecked but If Hormiga Paredes can play 3 seasons in England I think Pervis can too.

I have a feeling that Sarmiento is going to ride the bench.

3. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It's a fine area.

There's a few good hotels - use the Sheraton as a close option to the estadio olimpico atahalpa. It's also got the Quicentro shopping center basically across the street, which has tons of food options and the best shopping experience in the city. In that general area (slightly south), there's also the Dann Carlton and the Luxury Suites. Those 3 hotels have lots of restaurants (+ the mall) close by. On the southwest corner/end of the parque Carolina there's a Wyndham Garden - it used to be a Hampton Inn, and although it's close to the Mall el Jardin and a few other restaurants. I've been told the rooms are adequate and prices are very reasonable for an international brand. Any of those hotels would be good options, but if it was up to me, I'd opt for the Dann Carlton (by multiple recommendation from work colleagues) OR the Sheraton (personal experience).

There's many Airbnb options in the general vicinity, too. Check for reviews, but you should be ok. Many of the buildings in that area are higher-end condos and they have good security.

Quito at night, much like many other LATAM cities, gets a bit dodgy, so if you stay in a hotel, just air on the side of caution and have the concierge or front desk call a licensed cab to take you wherever you want to go. Uber service is pretty reliable, too, but I typically opt to go for the more expensive ones because there's less competition when booking and it's a bit safer. I'd opt for the hotel to get firsthand advice from the staff on where you should go and the best routes to get there....to avoid petty crime and other unsavory incidents that can spoil your stay. Regrettably, as with all things in a post-covid world, joblessness and underemployment are high and crime is becoming more of a worry for many in Quito. Although maybe it's overblown, I prefer to air on the side of caution.

If you want more advice, feel free to PM me. Glad to assist in any way I can.

SiempreCrema repped this.
  4. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Pervis doesn't realize how well this move would suit him.

Not only is he going to a place where he would start but getting used to physical players will help prep for the world cup.

5. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Sarmiento is injured....again.

6. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    It’s WC season. It’s probably a minor knock and doesn’t want to risk it.

7. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Will do. I wanted the centro as there was a nice AirBnB there but it's way too far from LDU's ground. Going closer to Parque La Carolina I think.

8. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I would personally avoid El Centro for almost anything except daytime tourism. Since my last visit in December, my cousins have been telling me it's getting pretty dangerous at night due a lack of evening businesses activity. From firsthand experience, it gets pretty desolate at night. Make a wrong turn and you can wind up in a pretty problematic neighborhood where things can go downhill quick.

Stick to La Carolina. If you're looking at Airbnbs, you can also check out areas near the Hotel Quito, Gonzalez Suarez, and Quito Tenis for neighborhoods where it's relatively safe. If you don't mind quieter neighborhoods, Quito Tenis is perfect. Although all 3 areas are still not that "close" to the Estadio Rodrigo Paz (LDU's stadium), a 4-6 dollar cab ride gets you there with relative ease.

Taxis and ubers are VERY cheap.

9. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thanks, ended up reserving a place in Ponceano Alto which I hear is near LDU's ground. Going with a few Ecuadorian mates who will be my bodyguards so I can celebrate Melgar's goals peacefully hahaha

10. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think the only decently safe place left in Ecuador is Cuenca lol

Because my hometown (Guayaquil) is so bad that I don't think I'll visit soon

11. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I hate this league sometimes. There’s 6 1/2 teams fighting for that top spot right now.

12. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Seeing that Moisex is being linked to Arsenal.

Would be a GREAT move for him after the world cup.

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I hope he doesn’t end up at United. Awful run club.

14. Allan_Somewhere

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm so glad they passed on him

They would have stalled his development and endangered our qualification to the world cup

15. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nah Cuenca is dangerous too. All major cities and the majority of the coast is. I have alot of family in the small towns in Manabi and it sad seeing those supper small town go from not having any major crimes to sicariatos. The only cities I would say are still relatively "safe" are the small isolated towns in the mountains that are majority farmers and indigenous people.

Last time my family went to Ecuador they got robbed leaving the air port in Guayaquil. they were followed and stopped on the highway heading to Cuenca. Def dont want to Ecuador anytime soon.

16. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Enner scored 2 goals today and missed 4 clear chances to score.

LDU4ever repped this.
  17. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That's such a bummer...these stories are becoming way too common, and despite the fact that much of this is still considered "petty crime", the trauma on residents is definitely palpable. Everyone is always looking over their shoulder, nervous to leave their buildings, and just wary of trying to live "normal" lives. The coastline is definitely the most concerning region where the cartels have used our gangs to fight proxy wars for territory and shipping routes. I'm surprised about Cuenca because of so many expats retiring there and it always being lauded for its cleanliness and safety. This new phenomenon of the gas cylinder bombs is going to start sowing discontent, confusion, and panic in the cities making it a perfect place for the criminal underbelly to really just dive deeper into the communities. Law enforcement and later prosecution are basically nonexistent (at worst) and inefficient (at best).

I'll still take my once a year trip to Ecuador over the holidays to visit family, but that's about as far as it will go.

18. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    As long as you use common sense you’ll be fine. Don’t try to scare the guy now.

19. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    I was born and Raised in Cuenca for the most part and my family is mostly from Canar and Manabi. Although cities like Cuenca and Azogues arent as bad as Guayaquil there still alot of petty crimes. Robbery in the streets, breaking and entering luckily I havent heard any gang related crimes or sicariatos there yet but the number of these petty crimes has risen alot.

I mean that LATAM in general. I was talking to people from Brazil say similar stories where these small town are now like war zones with gang activities. It just really the fact that these things were really rare and not very heard of in Ecuador. LATAM esta llendo de mal en peor.

20. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You're spot on. A true failure of US foreign policy. The US basically forgot its own backyard, and it's coming back to bite them in the a**. Look at the rising left tide, high rates of unemployment and underemployment, and countries hedging their bets on China or other non-US players. The mess is probably too big to clean up.

21. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Haha why would I be scared? I seriously doubt Quito is more dangerous than Lima, a place I have managed to escape being a victim of crime from for many years.

22. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Estrada has to step it up. I don't think his roster spot for the WC is in danger but the NT needs him to be in rhythm and scoring goals.

23. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    That's the spirit!!! :D

24. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    We REALLY need Estrada and Jordy to start really getting to rhythm. Estrada, in particular, is VERY streaky.

25. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Take the power away from cartels legalize drugs in the way Cannabis was legalized. Depreciate its value, create jobs, end the war on drugs. The person who manages to do that and lives will turn LATAM around.

Yea my only advice to you is that if you wear a Melgar jersey go straight home and dont hang out on the streets if the score happens to favor you guys. Here in NY the last time Peru beat Mexico. My friend was walking around Roosevelt (Area with alot of bars and Mexicans) late at night after the game with his Peru Jersey and some dude hit him in the back with a bottle.