2022 WC Qatar: Worldwide Opponents Watch [all R's]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jun 5, 2019.

1. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #176 USOutlaw16, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Not just effectively. It DID eliminate them. Most points Cuba can get is 6.

Both Guatemala and Curacao have 6 points already. Since Guatemala and Curacao still have to play each other, Cuba can't leapfrog either team into first place, therefore eliminating them.

Dominica is also eliminated for a similar reason.

Every Four Years and EvanJ repped this.
  2. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking through results from CONCACAF last night, some eyebrow raisers.

Montserrat and El Salvador drew

Puerto Rico snatching a point off of Trinidad, which means that (at least for now), St. Kitts and Nevis are in the driving seat of that group for the time being.

3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Yeah, lots of weird results in these qualifiers. Given the shortened format, I would not be surprised to see one or two of the top seeds drop out before the Hex playoffs.

You've got to wonder if the compacted COVID schedule is impacting things. Lots of weird results in UEFA too, more than usual it feels like.

4. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would also think that lack of attendance attributes to more focus and communication in between peers, making it easier to stay compact.

5. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Canada is 5-0 up against the Cayman Islands "away" (they're playing in Florida). Could be a long night for the Caribbean team.

6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Kind of cruel to make the Caymans suffer through another half of this.

7. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada is now up by three field goals and a safety

Every Four Years repped this.
  9. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Feels like bad karma. All comes down to the Suriname match, which they should win, but man ... running up the score...

10. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can get even worse. Canada's next qualifier is on June 5th against Aruba, a team ranked below the Cayman Islands in the FIFA Rankings, and who lost to Suriname by a worse margin than the Cayman Islands did.

11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada no longer has the biggest margin of victory as Japan beat Mongolia 14-0 this morning. Mongolia was eliminated last week. Shots on goal were 25 to 0. Japan had 5 in the first 54 minutes (60 percent) before scoring 9 more capped off with goals in the 90+1st, 90+2nd, and 90+3rd. If Saudi Arabia beats Palestine today, Saudi Arabia will pass Uzbekistan for first. The AFC groups will end at one site each from June 3 through 15.

12. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Madagascar is minutes away from being dumped out of the AFCON because they can't beat Niger at home. Talk about anticlimactic endings.

13. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The thing is, Suriname on Saturday could have scored 20 on Aruba. That's barely an exaggeration, if it is one at all. Which forced Canada to forego any gentlemanliness.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else like Haiti to make it into the ocho? Over the past few years I've seen a real improvement in their play when they are televised. I think they are a bit underrated, and if I'm in their group or if they top the group, drawn against them in the home and home series, I'm not looking forward to it. I just hope they don't get drawn against Canada, although that would be materially better for the US if one of those two were eliminated at that stage.

15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The draw is already done. Winner of Canada's group plays the winner of Haiti's group.

Canada has a likely must win/tie game versus Suriname in the group, and a must win game against Haiti (or possibly Nicaragua) in the playoff.

The Ocho will be:
    • El Salvador/T&T/St. Kitts Who Knows at this point?
    • Canada/Suriname/Haiti
    • Curacao/Panama/DR/Guatemala
    • US
    • Mexico
    • Costa Rica
    • Honduras
    • Jamaica
    The strength of the Ocho largely depends, I think, on how good you think the Canadians actually are and if Jamaica can recruit and integrate quickly enough to be a force.

If so, even though Costa Rica and Honduras might not be at their best, this might be the toughest qualifying round ever in terms of comp / last ever with 3.5 slots.

Winoman repped this.
  16. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Well, Turkey is being typical Turkey today and currently drawing Latvia 3-3 at home after having been 2-0 and 3-1 up. This is Turkey's sixth ever meeting with Latvia, and their fifth in the modern era. Turkey's only ever win against Latvia came in 1924 in a friendly. Talk about a bogey team.

17. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and it was also they place where Latvia surprisingly qualified for Euro 2004 by eliminating Turkey in the Euro qualifying playoffs...

18. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently 72nd minute between Costa Rica and Mexico their friendly, still 0-0. Mexico have been controlling possession, but only just now got a shot on goal

I'm only seeing things on FotMob, but if that's any indication Mexico seem toothless in attack without Jimenez.

19. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re getting chances, but nothing on goal.

As I say that, they score off a set piece.

20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks for Haiti or Canada. I think Haiti might give Canada a run for its money in that series if they play each other.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t believe that was the same Turkey that dismantled Norway and the Netherlands. They smoked Norway this weekend. It wasn’t even close.

22. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yep.

23. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #198 Every Four Years, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Thanks for the highlight reel. Yeah, I was too lazy to write all of that in my post but it’s a pretty famous result. Probably the biggest bottlejob ever in European qualifying playoffs.

For those who don’t know, Latvia ended up having a pretty respectable tournament with a goalless draw against Germany and a narrow 1-2 loss against a vintage Czech side after going 1-0 up.

They’ve never come close to that level since but somehow they always seem to turn up for a Turkey game. :D

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Raul Jiminez is going to be a major loss for Mexico if he can't go. This team was already a question mark for me because they are pretty old in midfield and defense. That's going to be an issue late in the cycle. I still think Mexico will qualify, but they have question marks on the other side of the spectrum of the USMNT. They have experience, but how long will their legs hold out?

25. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Armenia temporarily sits atop its group with two late goals against Romania, with Germany to play North Macedonia at home later today. Having also beaten a declining Iceland in their last game, they could well be in the mix for a playoff spot, though I doubt they'd be able to win a playoff game anyway.