2022 US House and Senate Elections

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Yoshou, Jan 8, 2021.

?

Will Democrats retain both chambers of Congress after the 2022 election

1. Yes, Democrats will retain both chambers

30.0%
  2. No, Democrats will only retain the House

10.0%
  3. No, Democrats will only retain the Senate

22.5%
  4. No, Republicans will take control of both chambers

37.5%
  1. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also going to say, the decision of millions of Americans to move south, towards coastal areas, and into the American Southwest are going to all appear rather foolish in less than a decade.

song219, Q*bert Jones III and dapip repped this.
  2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, we moved back to NOLA but we'll be dead before it's completely submerged. My wife and I were discussing where we would relocate if we had to. I said moving west was out because they are looking at permanent drought, and my lifestyle involves lots of showering and toilet flushing, among other things water is good for. We don't want to go to another place that's threatened by hurricanes and such, and we don't want to freeze in the winter. Really not much left.

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Not too picky, Eh?

Deadtigers repped this.
  4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All them ********ers abandoning Ohio in droves gonna come right back

5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Ohio and Ontario better keep an eye on Lake Erie because there are those who would steal it from you.

6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good little overview of where people moved during the pandemic. Massive outflow from expensive coastal cities to the suburbs and smaller inland cities, as well as to the SunBelt behemoths (Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, etc).

California's most valuable export continues to be blue voters.

I suspect this is going to have a massive impact on what happens in 2022. On that note:

https://floridapolitics.com/archive...bio-holds-just-a-2-point-edge-on-val-demings/

It's Florida so my expectations are low. But Demmings sure seems like a good candidate for the Dems.

Fingers crossed.

7. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with this is that with companies pulling employees back into the office (for at least a day a week), many of the people that fled the cities during the pandemic will have to come back. The Census results showed the opposite effect of what the video describes, from 2010-2020, people left the rural and suburbs to move into cities…

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was listening to PSA podcast yesterday and they have a guy who checks on the census and redistricting, and he said that the good news was that the country grew a lot more diverse and urban during the last decade, which would make gerrymandering more complex. The bad news is that the GQP controls about 25 states where they can pretty much draw districts as they want, and that the DOJ will have no teeth to make them do anything. A lot of it will be decided in state Supreme Courts.

9. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am morally opposed to gerrymandering, but I am also morally opposed to unilaterally disarming.

10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    MD which is the champion of gerrymandering is 7D-1R and could be 8D-0R if districts were not drawn to absolutely guarantee Democratic victories in 7 districts.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Republicans are quite pleased that California has an independent commission determining the lines for their CDs... That being said, it is likely the districts will have a very strong Democratic lean as the 4 "independent" members of the commission are likely to have a liberal lean and they can get the redistricting approved without a single Republican vote.

12. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I went back to Ohio
    But my city was gone

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Upstate is hemorrhaging people outside of a few pockets and NYC added the population of Denver, CO (about 75% of a house district worth of people) over the last 10 years and the bluer suburban areas grew as well. It's some gerrymandering but also just unpacking a few small hyper-partisan districts to cover empty space.

Deadtigers and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hershel Walker seemed so nice.....

Ex-Girlfriend Says Hershel Walker Threatened Her

Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “The woman, Myka Dean, detailed the alleged threats made by Hershel Walker to authorities in the Texas city of Irving in a January 2012 police report.”

“Dean is the second woman who was involved romantically with Walker to accuse him of making violent threats… In the report, Dean told authorities that Walker ‘lost it’ and flew into a fury when she told him she wanted to start dating other people.”

From the report: “He told her that he was going to come and sit outside her apartment and “blow her head off when she came outside.’ He then told her that he was going to ‘blow his head off’ after he killed her.”

Attached Files:

Boandlkramer repped this.
  15. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the House is expanded beyond 435 seats, I'll be willing to take the high road.

Right now, it's war. ********ing do it, NY Dems.

Deadtigers, Chesco United and Matrim55 repped this.
  16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Let's remember Herschel for his 2411 yard season in 1985 and not for his current iteration.
    I'm pessimistic about the Dems holding both chambers of Congress. Hopefully, a bunch of "nasty women" will turn out in 2022.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things are going from guatemala to guatepeor (from bad to worse) for the Dems.

Just one poll, after the media hitting Biden on Afghanistan for a few days, so there is still a lot of time to recover.

But if a president is below 50% approval come November 2021, Dems can say goodbye to the House of Reps and probably the Senate.

This poll number will send Democrats into a panic (msn.com)

With such a thin majority in the house and a tie in the Senate, Biden probably needs to be at around 55% approval next year for the Dems to hold congress.

Chesco United repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boandlkramer repped this.
  19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes they are.

Deadtigers, onefineesq, chaski and 2 others repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another story on just how bad 2022 can get for Democrats if Biden approval does not improve.

As Biden Popularity Falls, Democrats Fear Losing Senate, 30 to 50 House Seats (msn.com)

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cook political on competitive districts for 2022

https://cookpolitical.com/redistricting-incumbent-risk

I am surprised at Illinois 14th being at low risk, I guess they feel like the Chicago suburbs will stay democrat, that is good news.

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another election reform bill that is due to fail because Republicans will never agree to it..

https://www.democracydocket.com/news/my-thoughts-on-manchins-compromise-bill/

The bill is reportedly a pretty good one that addresses a number of issues like gerrymandering, vote by mail, giving voters the right to "cure" their votes, etc, etc. One of the bigger things is that states will be required to limit in person wait times to 30 minutes. So no more hours upon hours of wait times in urban areas, while suburbs/rural areas have little to no wait.

The bill does allow for states to impose voter ID laws, but expands the kinds of ID allowed.

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless the D's decide to bypass the filibuster on it as they seem to be willing to do. Apparently Biden is on board as well as he apparently indicated to Chuck and Nancy.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Problem is Manchin with his babe in the woods mindset and Sinema who would rather be doing peyote in Sedona acting like she's an early 20s Bohemian.

25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this bill is something that Manchin had an active roll in, I really don't see him standing in the way of killing the filibuster to pass it... Sinema, on the other hand, might not be on board, but I don't see Manchin putting all of that work into getting the changes he wanted, just to kill it himself.