2022 U.S. Open Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by newtex, Jul 16, 2021.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo.....The USSF decided to award the $25K to another lower division team for advancing furthest in the tournament....because Sac Republic had fewer "wins" since they advanced via PK's.......

That's disgusting. The USSF should be ashamed. Between this and the paltry finger flick of a punishment administered to Orlando ($1K-$5K) for spying on Sac Republic's training sessions the Federation is such a joke most of the time. It's no wonder not many outside of the diehard fans gives two flips about this tournament.

2. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the USSF is giving the 25k to another team in addition to Sacramento, that's fine, but if they aren't giving it to them at all, well, that sucks...big time! Fans in Sacramento have been good for American soccer. Too bad soccer hasn't been as good to the fans there.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Mike Watts and his co-host of the USL show on SiriusXM FC Sac Republic is getting $0.

JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  4. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boooooooooooooo USSF! Sacramento should get something out of its memorable Cup run other than being treated badly.

5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The runner-up from the tournament is supposed to get $100,000. Do you mean nothing specifically for the being the 2nd division team to advance the farthest?

https://thecup.us/2022/01/25/2022-us-open-cup-will-feature-modern-era-record-103-teams/

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that bullhockey. Seems to me like 'furthest advancing' is a pretty clear measure. If they can show something in the rules that says 'most wins' or something else, then they have a leg to stand on. Otherwise, this is some bizarre politics to try and boost enticement for other teams that don't quite get there. While that might make some sort of sense, it's wrong, IMHO.

If that's what they're thinking, it seems likely to me that it'll just cause teams to say 'nevermind'. I mean, if the USSF decides to just give the winnings to someone else based on some bizarre, not previously disclosed metric then I'd walk away.

SiberianThunderT and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's specifically in the rules that the Champion/runner-up prize money is awarded in lieu of the divisional bonuses.

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yep, that's the last line of page 17 of the handbook.
    You can find the Handbook here:
    https://www.ussoccer.com/us-open-cup

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think of this like how MLS handles CCL spots.. If a single team wins the SS and MLS Cup, the team that places second gets the SS spot.. Since Sacramento is already getting $100k for reaching the finals, the lower division team that advanced the 2nd furthest is getting the $25k. IMHO, this seems to be a better way of handling things than giving Sacramento $125k. Now Sacramento still gets $100k, but a second team gets $25k as well.

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for clearly laying out the logic that I expect they're using.

The problem is, as far as I know there was nothing explicitly stated that they would do that. Granted, I'm not paying that close attention, but I would think that someone would've heard about that plan ahead of time. Like, before the game, because this would have already come into play as soon as Sacramento won the semifinal.

Did they do this the last time a non-MLS team made the final?

I suppose it's possible that it was there in the rules all along and Mike Watts and co-host didn't do any research before getting upset about it. I mean, that never happens with podcasters, right?

With that in mind, I guess I should take a pause on my righteous fury for a bit and see where this goes.

12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look two posts above your post.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scanning too fast. Thanks!

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us know if they apologize after having the rules pointed out to them...

15. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, VC...is there room in the timeout corner for me? :oops:

VioletCrown and RafaLarios repped this.
  16. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Actually not all that bothered by this. I think Union Omaha deserves the $25K (assuming they would be the recipient).

And SRFC's chief bookkeeper may disagree with me on this, but I think having had five additional home fixtures (two of which were against MLS teams and were sellouts) will probably make more for SRFC in the aggregate than the USSF's $25K "highest placed lower division team" bounty.

No need to double-dip.

POdinCowtown, SetPeace, Elninho and 3 others repped this.
  17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #1317 newtex, Sep 22, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    Union Omaha won the DIII prize. The DII recipient is probably Louisville City if they actually get the money. The way I read the rule doesn't necessarily say that it is a hand-me-down situation.

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    They should pay the $25K to somebody. Otherwise the prize pool isn't really $475K.

19. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    guarantee you neither of those two circumstances have eff-all to do with why non-die-hards are not into this tournament.

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Care to any reasons as to why the non-diehards don't give two flips about the USOC?

Aside from the USSF apparently not giving enough craps about it.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The point was nobody is going to not watch the tournament based on payouts to lower level teams.

harrylee773 repped this.