2022 Summer Transfer Rumors

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by tsb11, Jun 4, 2022.

1. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    We already know that Turner is soon to be on his way to Arsenal, and Adam Buksa is 99% out the door on his way to Lens for €6M.

Now the next round of rumors have started abound. First there was a bogus rumour about Gustavo Bou going back to Mexico, and now the 1st rumblings of a Brandon Bye departure seem to be on the horizon

Who is in, who is out. Hopefully we start seeing some of these transfer fees being reinvested into the club

edcrocker repped this.
  2. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Here is the bogus Bou rumor for anyone interested

1531358520771194880 is not a valid tweet id

1531418580104798208 is not a valid tweet id

3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Bye:
    1. Does he have any eligibility for a foreign passport? He has no MNT history that I am aware of.
    2. He’s having a pretty good season, but if I were shopping for one of our defenders, I’d be looking at Jones,

4. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    He doesnt need it. UK work permits moved to a points based system post Brexit, and Bye qualifies.
    https://worldfootballindex.com/2020...e-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

Basically he needs to get 15 points from 6 categories. He gets
    6 points for being rostered and playing in a Band 4 league
    6 points for % of teams minutes played Band 4
    2 points for % of minutes played in band 3 continental competition
    3 points for team winning band 4 league

(MLS is a band 4 league. CCL is a band 3 competition).

Thats 17 points. If maybe hes played only 89% of minutes instead of 90, or the supporters shield only counts partially toward the title winner status he still has wiggle room to get to the 15 he needs.

As for Jones, hes had interest rumored from abroad as well, primarily the bundesliga. But in the last month Jones has had a small dip in form, whereas Bye has been on an absolute heater. Add in he is taller and can maybe flex to a back 3 CB with his aerial prowess and you can see why a team might be interested

beamish, LD42, teskicks and 3 others repped this.
  5. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $10 million is better. Bye Bye Buksa. The summer window better have some fireworks.

6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    In the last 6 months the revs have the following transfer balance:
    Turner: +$7M
    Tajon: +$7M
    Buksa: +$10M

Lletget: -$500k (plus incentives that the revs wont reach)
    Borrero: -$4.5M
    Petrovic: -$1M

Thats $18M the revs have to play with. Even if you want to reach back farther, (Buksa -$4.5M, Bou -$7M, Gil -$1.35M, Arnor -$500k, Polster -$385k) the revs are still in the black in the transfer market. Really need to see some portion of that get spent toward trying to replace what went out, ideally on a CB and probably an attacker.

7. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't get all of those transfer fees but your point is still valid.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes. Apparently they get much more of what MLS gets (if not all), but the teams that sold the players to the Revs probably still retain a buy-on percentage.

So, Tajon and Turner, we should get whatever MLS doesn't keep, but probably not so for Buksa.

9. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Bilello makes some very good points about how developing and selling these players makes this team much more attractive for incoming transfer candidates.

edcrocker and NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    This is concerning from the Globe article:

"Arena is expected to utilize the Buksa transfer money to add a Designated Player, but it might not be a forward. Jozy Altidore was acquired from Toronto FC as insurance should Buksa depart, and Arena said he expects him to be near full speed by next month."

If we're relying on Altidore to replace Buksa, we're screwed.

TOAzer repped this.
  11. brdmaverick1

brdmaverick1 Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    Hi guys, relative newbie here into the GM mechanics of an MLS team.

Being a soccer fan in America is different from being a fan of other sports in the Boston area (where those two are where you aspire to be). Being a fan of MLS certainly has a 'minor league' feel, so I have to get used to losing the likes of Buchanan, Buksa, and Turner. It's unfortunate but it 'is what it is'.

I guess the two questions I have on the process are......

1.) We see players leaving, is there a realistic possibility of us picking up a very talented player in this same transfer window?

2.) With Carles Gil being the league MVP, how come his name comes up in these discussions? Trust me, I'm thrilled they don't, I'm just curious why? I would think he would be an attractive option for any team.

edcrocker repped this.
  12. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    There was no sell on % when the revs bought Buksa, they bought 100% of his rights. As a DP they keep 100% of the sale.

For Turner and Tajon, clubs keep 95% of outgoing transfer fees. So instead of $7M theyre pocketing $6.65M. So instead of $18M leftover they have $17.3M after paying out to MLS

rkupp repped this.
  13. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Welcome!

1) the revs dont have a ton of history selling players for big money. Last winter we brought in Lletget after selling Tajon, but I'd argue his replacement didnt arrive until Borrero got bought. Petrovic got bought ahead of time to replace Turner, but part of that was having the Tajon money in pocket. Will be interesting to see what happens this summer, the only rumour ive seen is for another polish attacker who should be much cheaper than Buksa was

2) the players we've sold for big fees have been younger, and the buying team can expect to get years of the incoming player's prime so the fee is justified. Gil is close to 30, so his prime years are nearly finished. Mid tier teams cant afford to spend big on him because there will be no market to sell him on later, and the biggest teams have better versions of Gil already in tow. So until Gil stops signing his DP contract (his last 1 runs through 2025) he isnt likely to leave.

14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely screwed. Altidore like Omar has zero left in the tank

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't put a lot of faith in the Globe's speculation. That may be something Arena or his staff passed along, but I'm not convinced it's any kind of signal.
    Uh, didn't we hear that last month? Now we're talking July?
    Gil has also played in Europe - Spain and England at least. I think he was a good player over there (with some injury problems), but definitely not a star. I think he could find new opportunities, but I doubt anyone is going to splash big money for him like they are doing for our young and rising players.

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We Jozy first signed in Feb, Bruce said Jozy would need until the end of April to get up to speed. Then he got hurt again, and Bruce said he needed until June. Then he got hurt again, and Bruce said August. I'm sensing a pattern here...

TOAzer repped this.
  17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    No one could have possibly forsee this prior to signing him! He only has had major injuries every year since 2018 for Toronto.

TOAzer and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  18. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Which leads me to conclude (and it should be obvious to Bruce as well), that even if Jozy is the answer, there is a still a crying need for another forward who can score the ball, as they say in hoops.

Assuming even if Jozy can get healthy for an extended stretch as some point, every team needs to have a goal-scorer they can bring off the bench. Not to pick on Rennicks, but he's not that guy - at least not now.

And, FWIW, listening to the Bent Musket podcast, one of the commentators said that he doesn't expect to see Kizza back with the Revs again - ever.

edcrocker repped this.
  19. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And even if Rennicks develops, we should still have a variety of forward "types" to choose from. We still lack a quick Bunbury-ish replacement to play up front. It'd be nice to find someone who could fill that role, particularly someone who'd be an upgrade from Teal. The more variety we have in the tool kit, the better matchups we can make on gameday.

rkupp and edcrocker repped this.
  20. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Looking around the league, what's striking to me is the number of players in the age 20-22 category who are starting for teams. Most of them, it seems, are from South America. But they must be here figuring MLS is a stepping stone to Europe.

I think it's a good thing. Yes MLS teams lose their younger star players but if you can adequately replace them and make a couple of bucks it does, to me anyway, make the league more interesting. Plus the fact that Euro matches don't overlap MLS matches on TV means you can still follow these guys as their careers advance should you choose.

I'm psyched for watching Turner play (eventually anyway) in the EPL. And I'm equally excited to see the club move forward wtih Petrovic.

BERich repped this.
  21. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Relying on Altidore to replace Buksa is akin to relying on William Shatner to play the next Batman.

Tea Men Tom, pwykes and tsb11 repped this.
  22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Im worried by the lack of substance toward new signings. I think more players may leave before we start seeing anyone in

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/transfer-watch-5-most-interesting-teams-in-mls-this-summer

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just spit-balling here.

Haji Wright's loan to Antalyaspor ends in 9 days, so he returns to SønderjyskE. The Danish club was just relegated, and Wright's contract there runs 2 more years.

Reports are Hull City is interested. transfermarkt lists his market value at 2.5m Euro. He's 6' 4", 24 years old (almost 2 years younger than Buksa). Should Revs make a play for him?

edcrocker and patfan1 repped this.
  24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love that move.

25. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as we’re dreaming, John Brooks is out of contract.

edcrocker, TOAzer and frankieg73 repped this.