2022 Summer Friendlies

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, May 10, 2022.

1. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vix is near Unobtanium. Vix is Vexing.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

I wonder how over 90k are expected when the capacity is 88k?

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kepler packing......

onefineesq repped this.
  4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Capacities at huge stadiums tend to vary depending on events, if they do any temp seating, how many people they pack into suites, etc. The last pre-COVID Rose Bowl Game was over 90K. and I don't think they've done major modifications since then.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well damn, what do I know... 93k!

L.a. attendance for these real Madrid friendlies is so random. 40k at dodger stadium, 50k at the rose bowl, 50k at the coliseum, then 96k at the coliseum and now 93k at the rose bowl.

I guess the opponents are the x factors. The lowest attendances were against Everton and the Galaxy.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I was wrong about Real Madrid attendance at the Coliseum. It was just a bit fewer people than this Real Madrid vs Juventus match and thus this is now the highest attended club match ever in Los Angeles County. Wow. Unexpected. This is also the highest attended soccer match in the US since 2018.

This match beat out mega attendances for the following in L.A.:
    Manchester City vs Real Madrid
    Galaxy vs Barcelona
    Chivas vs Club America (double header with Galaxy vs Chivas USA)
    and all the other ~ dozen high profile friendlies held here.

Now my dream remains that one day El Traffico will be 3 games - Carson, Exposition Park and the 3rd at the Coliseum and Rose Bowl on alternating years. Or throw Sofi in there.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    As friendly season winds down, we had another mega one - and this one was the biggest of them all.

Real Madrid 2 - Juventus 0 in front of 93,702 at the Rose Bowl.

Meanwhile the L.A. Times have this take:
    Never mind the fact that L.A. hosted a super bowl, countless sold out Laker and Dodger games and an MLB all star game - THIS is the event we should whine about - and don't forget to add "meaningless" to the report to help grow the sport.

Kevin Baxter is a disgrace.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Barcelona 2 - Red Bulls 0 in a match that was only embarrassing for the Red Bulls in that they got a red card, and the idiotic pitch invaders at the end. A bit disappointing that the crowd was actually hostile toward the home club. I've also seen this happen in L.A.

25,219 in attendance I believe. Can't find exact number, Wiki just says 25k. Anyway, it was a sellout.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  10. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    #110 Ray Shoesmith, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Got you to react and respond.

That’s the only thing that matters to people who do what he does.

When enough people stop reacting he will move onto the next thing that gets folks to react.

People like him don’t care what the subject is, or if they believe even it. Just react, that’s all.

Oh yeah, the line about “tired of waiting for the virus to go away” is a troll line of epic proportions.
    The virus is never going away as anyone with half a brain cell knows.

Got you hook, line and sinker, and considering how hard you troll people here you surely must see the irony, or are you going to turn off your self awareness for that one? That’s what most people do in situations like that.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Wow SoFi is a loudddd stadium! So much for "roof doesn't change sound" story lol. World cup here will be AMAZING.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

These clowns never miss an opportunity to talk shit about MLS attendance lol

It's a doubleheader! Why would club America fans who bought tickets to see their team leave early to watch Chivas...

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roofs change sound, but they don't amplify it unless built in very specific ways.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Not amplfy per se, but the echoes might make it sound louder on the pitch. It's loud in there for Rams and chargers games too, and those teams don't have the best fanbases.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Galaxy's joveljic adds his name to a future trivia question, scoring the first ever goal at SoFi stadium.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Galaxy 2 Chivas 0, probably will be 70k announced attendance at SoFi for the double-header.

17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The fans showed up so WST will need a new negative spin. Probably about how all the Club America fans are being exploited by a fake MLS game or some garbage like that.

18. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who is that goal keeper for LAFC lol

19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Trying out for local clown show it seems...

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #120 crookeddy, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    LAFC lose to Club America in penalties after a scoreless game. 71,189 in attendance, and I believe this is a stadium record. Will probably be beaten next year by Wresetlemania since that tends to set stadium records wherever it comes around. For the Super Bowl, attendance was 70,048.

Here's how SoFi went from Chili Peppers concert to grass pitch in under 72 hours:

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The main event of friendly season concludes, with MLS beating Liga MX 2-1 though Liga MX had a clear penalty at the death on that handball by Yedlin.

19,727 in attendance which is... not quite a sellout?

EDIT: It was a sellout.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is there an attendance number anywhere for the friendly in LA against Tigres that happened last night?

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    L.a. times described it as "half empty"...

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Friendly season returns!

First ever international friendlies for both Cincinnati and Nashville.

Cincinnati 3 - Chivas 1 14,727 in attendance.
    Nashville 2 - Club America 2, Nashville wins on penalties. 24,553 in attendance.

SiberianThunderT and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004