2022 Season . . . If we dare

Discussion in 'Indy Eleven' started by DAFCrew, Mar 20, 2022.

1. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    In case you haven't noticed, and judging by the anemic poster activity here in the Indy 11 BS forum since the team ceased to be competitive in a meaningful way, you haven't, a new season is underway. In an act of utterly reckless and unmerited optimism, let's have a new thread for the boys in blue as the 2022 season gets even further underway.

Opening losses to Louden and Tampa Bay. No goals scored yet. Will this team score a goal within the first five games of the season? My prediction is that it is certainly possible.

stphnsn repped this.
  2. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They scored!!! The boys in blue scored a goal!!! And they got a road point against Lou City. They'll be heading into the home opener with something strangely akin to momentum. There's simply no stopping them now, says I!

stphnsn repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    I had the last half hour or so on as background noise. There wasn't any action that took my attention off of the book I was reading. I suppose that says something, but a draw away to Louisville is usually an acceptable result...

DAFCrew repped this.
  4. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Two goals in two games. Two points in two games. Oh, sure, perhaps I'm optimistic to a fault. But this is beginning to feel like momentum. And honestly, the team is beginning to look better.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  5. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Three points, and the first win of the season for the Boys in Blue. And we now have a multi-goal scorer!

Two goals from the run of play, two goals from Pinho,and two stars returning from the injury list to help seal the win (Ayoze and Arteaga). Is it a coincidence that the first (and shortly thereafter, the second) goal didn't happen until moments after the incomparable Nicky Law stepped onto the field? I think not.

All they had to do was get that pesky Open Cup out of the way and truly focus on the task at hand. My oh my, the momentum!!

stphnsn and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  6. GenWRX

GenWRX Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Two goals from two shots on goal is not ideal, but at this point, we'll have to take what we can get when it means the team gets a win.

DAFCrew repped this.
  7. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Heckuva conversion rate. Does anyone do ExG for USL-Championship?

DAFCrew repped this.
  8. GenWRX

GenWRX Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    stphnsn and DAFCrew repped this.
  9. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Be still my heart, it's an actual win streak. And once again the magisterial Nicky Law has his fingerprints all over this win, with a free kick goal and a beautiful play to assist the game winner.

They truly deserved this one, being cheated out of a pretty obvious PK and then tickling one off of each post before finally securing the W.

With Hackshaw headed back into the lineup next week, well, perhaps things really are coming together for this team.

10. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And the momentum just keeps on building. A decisive 3-1 win over the defending USL Champions, Orange County, Hackshaw back on the field, Ayoze getting back into form, and some scoring from different players.

Could it be that this new coach is actually shaping a valid contender?

stphnsn repped this.
  11. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Tonight's result is big. Not because of the lack of finishing that should have made this a 4-2 win for the Eleven, but rather because this was the type of game that, last season, would have ended up as a loss or tie.

The momentum is more than official. Same with the optimism. Well done, Indy!

GenWRX and stphnsn repped this.
  12. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Okay, so the momentum was quelled this week, in spite of the softest goal this team has scored in quite a while. The difference with this team, at least so far this season, is that I was honestly expecting them to tie the game and steal a point. And they easily could have.

13. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It is nice to see Indy get a win against a lesser opponent like RB2, especially given that those points have been so difficult to secure in the last two seasons. The Boys in Blue probably should have scored a few more goals than they did. However, they easily could have given up a few. So I'll take it.

14. GenWRX

GenWRX Member

Nov 16, 2016
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Watching Memphis climb to the top of the table this week makes me feel a little better about that loss last week, but Indy's loss to Loudoun is frustrating given their run of form (8 game losing streak). Good to get the win last night versus NYRBII. Indy needs as many wins as they can get right now, because an entire month away during June is going to be rough.

DAFCrew repped this.
  15. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winning does cure all ills but those losses remain baffling.

16. JDogindy

JDogindy Member

Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to my first game in years on the 28th. God I missed that.

The result against New Mexico... Not so much.

So far, we have gotten four points on this month long road trip, keeping us in contention.

17. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It has been very difficult to discuss this team for the last several months. So much so that I haven't bothered. I'm not sure where the optimism comes from that causes me to continue to watch each week. I suppose I'll have to admit to loving this team, win or lose. It was nice to see them finally get a result last night. I kept waiting for the usual meltdown and it never came. Here's hoping they can duplicate this success.

stphnsn repped this.
  18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's the first win since the stadium announcement, correct?

19. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes. At a time in franchise history when wins and attendance seem to matter a great deal, they have been utterly $hitting the bed. We can only hope that the product on the field will be worthy of the new stadium when that glorious day finally arrives. They have been willing to spend the money, and this coach has a track record of success. So I can only assume that he needs to keep overhauling the roster. And as much as I like some of the aging veterans, perhaps they are not the answer.

20. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, Indy Eleven is 4th in average attendance and did pull 10,081 last night. Despite that swoon there still seems to be quite a bit of support.

DAFCrew repped this.
  21. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I agree with this, for the most part. But I can also say from personal experience that we always make it to one game a year regardless of the quality of the product on the field. However, when they are good we tend to go more often. For example, their last home playoff win against RB2 was a game that we were not willing to miss.

22. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Following up an epic losing streak with a win streak, even if only two games, is a real baller move. If they go three in a row I may actually allow myself to buy back into this season. Here's hoping.