2022 Salary Data . . . We're (temporarily) Last

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, May 17, 2022.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Med_Phys repped this.
  2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Med_Phys repped this.
  3. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Wood making a cool million while Pablo Ruiz and Rubin making half a million each. For all the sweet deals Fall has been making, some you just have to scratch your head at.

Allez RSL repped this.
  4. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL being last shouldn't be a surprise. We were middle of the pack last year (IIRC) and we got rid of Rusnak's salary without really adding any large contracts to the roster. I'm interested to see the impact of Julio and Savarino's contracts.

RSLer, acima and 15 to 32 repped this.
  5. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Also interesting is Putna taking up nearly $200K in cap space.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full Breakdown
    • Kreilach: $1,550,000
    • Wood: $1,018,161
    • Glad: $735,031
    • Silva: $646,667
    • Cordova: $696,000
    • Rubin: $582,937
    • Menedez: $602,813
    • Luiz: $570,833
    • Ruiz: $523,500
    • Meram: $468,750
    • Herrera: $368,794
    • Kappelhof: $287,000
    • Besler: $210,000
    • Caldwell: $205,000
    • MacMath: $200,000
    • Putna: $168,458
    • Kablan: $126,000
    • Holt: $125,000
    • Ochoa: $103,500
    • Farnsworth: $98,750
    • Chang: $98,261
    • Garcia: $94,300
    • Dewsnup: $93,825
    • Schmitt: $92,500
    • Halsey: $91,500
    • Brody: $89,277
    • Davis: $88,294
    • Loeffelsend: $84,000
    • Gomez: $84,000
    • Wellings: $81,500
    • Kei: $81,500
    • Beavers: $71,083
    • Orozco: $65,500

RSLer, rslfanboy, Med_Phys and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Addition by subtraction I imagine.

8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fully expect and am fine with Savarino topping this list. He should probably be in the $1.75 - $2.25MM range.

Julio is a perplexing one. Was it confirmed he was going to be a DP? I can't remember. I expect his number to be between Wood and Cordova. That feels too much for what he has been historically with the club, but his perceived talent level probably gets that higher. His 2021 number (which was what he negotiated with San Luis given he was on loan) was $485,875. I don't know how much of that, if any, San Luis was paying and/or if his full salary was actually more (say something like 600K) and this was just RSL's portion

We have so many gk's on this roster. it's truly bizarre

Brody's number (this is before his new deal) was a complete and utter steal. I expect he'll be up to a Herrera level in the Fall release.

Orozco as the cheapest player on the roster shocked me. The dude has to be pissed that he's over here getting MLS minutes while guys that make twice his salary aren't even making Monarchs.

Fall cut Luiz salary in half, which was warranted... and yet he still makes too much, IMO. That's how crazy his previous contract was.

Meram's new deal better be front heavy because his number dropped just $50K. That's dumb.

Oh, and yes, there are 33 players listed on this thing. With a roster max of 30 even the players union was like "you have 3 extra players". Solid solid work by MLS here

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The number for the Swiss guy shows what we expect of him. Just above the teenagers.

10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on loan, correct? So wouldn't that be his salary with his other club that we're taking on?

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    • Kreilach: $1,550,000
    • Wood: $1,018,161
    • Glad: $735,031
    • Silva: $646,667
    • Cordova: $696,000
    • Rubin: $582,937
    • Menedez: $602,813
    • Luiz: $570,833
    • Ruiz: $523,500
    • Meram: $468,750
    • Herrera: $368,794
    • Kappelhof: $287,000
    • Besler: $210,000
    • Caldwell: $205,000
    • MacMath: $200,000
    • Putna: $168,458
    • Kablan: $126,000
    • Holt: $125,000
    • Ochoa: $103,500
    • Farnsworth: $98,750
    • Chang: $98,261
    • Garcia: $94,300
    • Dewsnup: $93,825
    • Schmitt: $92,500
    • Halsey: $91,500
    • Brody: $89,277
    • Davis: $88,294
    • Loeffelsend: $84,000
    • Gomez: $84,000
    • Wellings: $81,500
    • Kei: $81,500
    • Beavers: $71,083
    • Orozco: $65,500
    The RED guys I think are pretty much overpaid, the YELLOW are kind of iffy but what can you do? They're veterans, they earned it. I think they rushed on Rubin but it could have been worse.

Players in black are just what they are. Maybe just right and certainly not getting over paid.

I think that the
    green players are definitely worth the money and might even deserve more for their work this season. Even Chang.

Pink and Blue are crimes. Just for opposite reasons.

Last in payroll and getting decent results regardless of whether or not Wood and Rubin are on the high side having players like Loeffelsend, Orozco, Caldwell, MacMath, and others like Holt making contributions it's a pretty good ROI for this roster.

12. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, what? Did RSL release him but are still on the hook for his salary because nobody picked him up? He doesn't show up on mlssoccer.com under the player stats page so is he currently in the goalkeeper pool?

13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needs to be addressed by the media and club. There's no excuse.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Why would Jaziel be pissed off?

Glad
    Silva
    Holt
    Kappelhoff
    “ Besler”
    Jaziel Orozco.

How many 5/6th string CBs expect to see any 1st team minutes at all?

Ismitje repped this.
  15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s lowest paid player on the team and has first team minutes. Wellings Kei and the like make a decent amount more than him and won’t smell a gameday 18 this year

goobx1 repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of note:
    Rusnak in 2021: $2,351,667
    Rusnak in 2022: $1,871,667

Lagerway magic again

17. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I honestly forgot Menendez was on the team again. When was the last time he played?

18. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Aren't there league limits to how much a free agent can get paid? I thought I read that somewhere but maybe that's just complete bs.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when he wasn't hurt.... March 26 at SKC when he got hurt and Kappelhoff got hurt and Holt got hurt and

rslfanboy and Allez RSL repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the very useful (and redundant) MLS soccer .com says:
    Free Agency
    Free Agency will be conducted in accordance with the MLS Collective Bargaining Agreement.

21. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Haha right. I tried investigating a little but can't find anything solid. There is this line in an article on espn about the new CBA that says

"Keep in mind, though, that there are limits to what players can make via free agency based on their previous salary."

and the infographic on the cba website says
    "removes salary restrictions up to max salary budget charge."

22. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a former RSL player, but I was surprised how much ($2.3m, highest paid defender in the league) Salcedo is making up in Toronto. I still don't know how he wasn't subject to the allocation order. I thought he was transferred for more than $500k.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't surprise me if the transfer was less than that. The whole thing was chaotic and RSL just wanted to be rid of the situation.

24. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for the late reply, haven't had a chance to process this info.

As was suspected, there are no true DPs on the roster (we'll see if Sava makes more than max TAM money, his acquisition costs probably make it a certainty).

I'm glad to see that Silva is finally playing to match his salary. I think he's been overpaid in that regard in prior seasons. Other contracts of note that aren't new or new players:
    Wood isn't playing up to his contract, but this is happening at several clubs. Attacking players cost more and they don't always pan. Nashville has a DP forward that produces less than Bobby. I want to see if his play improves with better players around him. I'm not writing him or Rubio off yet.
    It's hard to judge Menendez, he hasn't been given much of an opportunity or has been hurt. If Pablo doesn't play him, then he's taking up too much of the salary budget.
    Glad, Ruiz, Herrera, MacMath, Holt and Chang are all worth what they are being paid, some more than others though.
    I'm curious to see the numbers on Brody's new contract. I kind of think it should be under $200k, but league salaries are always going up and maybe they take care of him a bit as the poster boy for their development path. He fills a good role with this club, unlike the next guy.
    Besler is an expensive luxury. I'd rather see a U22 player with that budget cost.

New players/contracts:
    Why is Cordova being mentioned as a DP when Wood is making substantially more. Would love to hear Elliot explain it, I was expecting a much higher salary for him based on him being called a DP. Not sure I want him on this team going forward if that's how much he'll cost.
    Rubin, it's TBD on that new contract. He looked worth it under Freddy, but not so much under Pablo.
    I'm glad to see Everton on a lower number, I was expecting something closer to Bobby, but it's still too much.
    Meram's number is fair, the issue is he's not an every game MLS starter if you really want to be one of the better teams in this league.
    I have no idea if Kappelhof is on a good deal. I want to say it's fair if he plays more, but maybe too much if he doesn't. For reference, Doneil Henry is making just over $400k with LAFC.
    Caldwell has been a steal. He really should get more recognition from the league and media.
    Does Kablan's salary reflect what is expected from him or just what he was getting paid in Europe? Salary is fine if he's not a liability on the field. Anything more is gravy at that cost.
    Jasper and Gomez: still kind of peeved they are taking a roster spot and getting minutes over the HGs and other kids on the roster/Monarchs. Salary isn't an issue, the fact they are taking up a valuable roster spot is.

HG's and the GA:
    I really want to see Farnsworth to fine out why he's the second highest paid HG even though he's in his 2nd(?) year with the club. Similar situation w/Dewsnup.
    Ochoa is a starting level GK is worth it, but who knows what he wants on his new contract and if he even wants to be in MLS. RSL has to stop losing players on free transfers.
    I don't know enough about the budget available to teams for HGs. I don't know if anyone can be deemed overpaid, but Orozco probably deserves more. Did he take a longer contract for less money per year?
    Garcia needs minutes, somewhere competitive so does Davis. Schmitt, I'm not sure he can be in this league if he can't be a LWB. He looks out of sorts in any other position.
    Fans not almost nothing about Halsey. He must have been well regarded to get a GA deal. Hope he gets healthy and gets competitive minutes soon.
    For all the HGs, they just need to play somewhere. It's hard to judge them as MLS players when they are 18-22 yo and not getting consistent minutes. Maybe more are like Brody (take several years to find out if they can contribute at the MLS level), but RSL has signed so many that don't become even backups in MLS. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Putna: WTF is going on? He's getting paid a similar amount to what the budget charge is for a young DP signing or U22 slot. What a waste and it deserves a lot more discussion from the club to the fans.

goobx1 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think for Rubin it was less about Freddy and Pablo and more about the league figuring him out. He came in and made a splash because no one was worried about the guy from the USL. And then he scores some goals so teams start making an effort and BAM, he's marked out of games and the next Bofo for RSL. Decent players that are too easily defended out of a game but can still occasionally be dangerous.

I like Jasper. I don't see practice but I'm guessing he's outplayed some of the guys that can't seem to get playing time. I do really want to see those guys get minutes but if they can't beat out a draft pick from Pitt then that's on them?

Don't know much about Gomez but it is odd that RSL has so many supposedly good young GK's so why not get them some time in the 18. Or 20. Or whatever it is.

evilradar and 15 to 32 repped this.