2022 MLS Week 33 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by MassachusettsRef, Sep 29, 2022.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s character, for sure. But it’s also trust in Jorge and most importantly, his read of the moment and situation. If his VAR is telling him it’s a clear foul error at that point in this match with those circumstances… then he knows he should accept that recommendation. Back to basics, right? No different than an AR in 1996 telling him he had to change a call.

All that said… did he have a foul coming out initially?! Stott has unique mannerisms so it could have been his way of saying “keep going, no penalty.” But I think he blew the whistle. And it obviously wasn’t a second simulation card.

2. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Yes, I believe he called a careless trip committed by Chicharito originally. I think it was probably more of an “I don’t see a penalty here but it would be weird to wave play on after the earlier simulation and calling a foul coming it sells it better” kind of thing.

jarbitro and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    So that was a weird moment. RSL player reentered play from the goal line, and Stott stopped play to caution him when he was quite far from the ball. I think he awarded a direct free kick at the location of the player, so I guess the ruling was that the player was interfering with play. I guess it’s smarter to do that while the ball is in an non-dangerous area than let play continue and have an awkward stoppage for true interference.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-entering the field of play without permission is a caution on its own. Interference is irrelevant.

I kind of wonder if that is his first such caution in 27 years. I doubt it, but it’s possible. And that would be a funny way to end.

5. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Yes, I was just remarking on the type and location of the free kick. Without interference, if play is stopped the free kick is indirect at the location of the ball.

The only really similar YC I remember was a few years ago when Rivero gave someone a second yellow for this exact thing, in a truly hilarious moment.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s totally possible Stott didn’t remember, in the moment, where the restart was technically supposed to be. I think I would have got that wrong too. Practically, what he did makes a lot of sense and makes the call more sellable. Technically, it is nonsensical (location of ball sort of make sense… point of entry could make sense… “where I caught you and booked you” doesn’t, but it’s believable).

7. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    But, if you interfere with play, it's a DFK, I thought? Not that it's likely to ever happen but... interfere in the box .... DFK --> penalty...

Unless you mean .. it's a YC whether he interferes or not ... otherwise.. ignore my comment :)

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean the latter, but I won’t ignore you!

gaolin repped this.
  9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I suspect it also says something about instruction from PRO. I would imagine after the last malfunction there was talk about protocols if the OF screen malfunctions.

10. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    This happened. When the on field monitor is malfunctioning the referees have been instructed to trust the VAR

11. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Elfath spent a lot of time reviewing a potential DOGSO and PK that was borderline in/out of the box.

He stuck with his Corner kick call.

12. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Frustrating as it is, it sounds like the delay was due more to struggles getting the image he wanted than truly disagreeing. We hear the “if it takes this long…” argument a lot but sometimes it isn’t the ref trying to be convinced as it is struggling to get right angles/speeds. He obviously stuck with his decision and that can be debated on its own.

13. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Inside video review reveals that Stott called Chicharito for a handball after he fell, not for a trip.