2022 MLS Week 29 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Sep 1, 2022.

1. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    09/03/22

Minnesota United vs FC Dallas
    Allianz Field (3:30PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Felisha Mariscal
    4TH: Matthew Corrigan
    VAR: Chris Penso
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

Columbus Crew vs Chicago Fire
    Lower.com Field (5:30PM ET)
    REF: Ismir Pekmic
    AR1: Chantal Boudreau
    AR2: Walt Heatherly
    4TH: Sergii Demianchuk
    VAR: Jair Marrufo
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

New York Red Bulls vs Philadelphia Union
    Red Bull Arena (7PM ET)
    REF: Timothy Ford
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Gianni Facchini
    4TH: Luis Arroyo
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

FC Cincinnati vs Charlotte FC
    TQL Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Michael Radchuk
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Calin Radosav
    VAR: Carol Anne Chenard
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Nashville vs Austin FC
    GEODIS Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Jason White
    AR2: Kevin Lock
    4TH: Elton Garcia
    VAR: Drew Fischer
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

09/04/22

Portland Timbers vs Atlanta United
    Providence Park (5:30PM ET) on FOX
    REF: Jon Freemon
    AR1: Adam Garner
    AR2: Jeffrey Greeson
    4TH: Victor Rivas
    VAR: Chris Penso
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

D.C. United vs Colorado Rapids
    Audi Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Tori Penso
    AR1: Matthew Nelson
    AR2: Tyler Wyrostek
    4TH: Luis Arroyo
    VAR: Fotis Bazakos
    AVAR: Tom Supple

Toronto FC vs CF Montréal
    BMO Field (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Micheal Barwegen
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Jair Marrufo
    AVAR: Fabio Tovar

LA Galaxy vs Sporting Kansas City
    Dignity Health Sports Park (8PM ET)
    REF: Ramy Touchan
    AR1: Kevin Klinger
    AR2: Ian McKay
    4TH: Greg Dopka
    VAR: Carol Anne Chenard
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

New England Revolution vs New York City FC
    Gillette Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Guido Gonzales Jr
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Brooke Mayo
    4TH: Matthew Conger
    VAR: Drew Fischer
    AVAR: Rene Parra

Seattle Sounders FC vs Houston Dynamo
    Lumen Field (9PM ET)
    REF: Silviu Petrescu
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Diego Blas
    4TH: Ricardo Fierro
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

San Jose Earthquakes vs Vancouver Whitecaps
    PayPal Park (9:30PM ET)
    REF: Rosendo Mendoza
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: TJ Zablocki

Los Angeles FC vs Real Salt Lake
    Banc of California Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Lukasz Szpala
    AR1: Jose Da Silva
    AR2: Kali Smith
    4TH: Adam Kilpatrick
    VAR: Ted Unkel
    AVAR: Claudiu Badea

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RBNY player kicks the ball in frustration and it goes into the crowd and hits a child. He then goes into the stands to apologize to the kid. Ref shows him two yellows when he comes back.

3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    that did seem rather odd. I saw him with the yellow in his hand but they didn't show him issuing two cautions on TV. That's gotta be direct red for VC, right? That's what the MLS website showed - but that's been known to be inaccurate

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was suspicious, but I've confirmed that it was two cautions.

5. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I was thinking red for VC too, but it’s a pretty novel situation that seems pretty open to interpretation at this point. The only comparable incident in recent times was Kaku, but I wouldn’t necessarily paint an equivalence between the two offenses, mostly because Kaku was a lot more deliberate in his actions.

Unusually situation, and I’m curious to know if anyone hears anything internally from PRO about this (assuming they don’t state anything publicly) :)

Also, it’s funny that both the red cards tonight were both double yellows in quick succession! This is something that I don’t think we see enough of; players shouldn’t get a free pass to commit additional cautionable misconduct just because they recently committed some within a very short time span.

6. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know if these assumptions are correct?
    1. Kick was judged not to be VC
    2. 2nd caution was for leaving w/o permission

I get you don't want pro players in the stands, but in a situation where a kid was hit with the ball, I'm not opposed to the ref waving a home player off (once he sees him leave). But on the other hand, if it was a situation like "I don't think I can run him for the kick, but he should probably go anyway" then the guy gives you a golden opportunity by leaving the field, then I get why Ford would just take the opportunity and send him. Plus it was in injury time of a 2-0 loss. So may as well be done with it.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    What an ass.

According to the match report on mlssoccer.com, it was two cautions - foul + dissent.
    I'm not sure how it is not a straight red for VC.
    Can they even add games when it is listed as two cautions?

I love the "asshole" chant from the crowd.

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ford is going to the pocket before he kicks the ball so it seems like foul + dissent is the answer to what actually happened. Ford basically allows/encourages him to leave the field to try to make amends so the second caution isn’t for that.

The question is whether or not there’s clear evidence for VC. That’s a complicated question. Both around intent and what available evidence Stott had. I’ll be interested to learn how that goes down.

Can the DisCo suspend more than 1 game? Yes. They need to believe and PRO must concur that it was a clear red card and worthy of more than a 1 match ban. Truly, I am not sure you get there based on LOTG and how MLS has treated VC to date. But you might get there based on public pressure and other factors.

jarbitro and GlennAA11 repped this.
  9. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I think as a general rule you need to discourage players from blasting the ball into the stands out of frustration

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But can it always be a red card or is it results-based? In theory we are only supposed to punish the act. So is the act always VC or does it depend who the ball hits? It will look really strange when a blasted ball that hits an empty seat gets a red, but that is how it should go if we are saying that act is violence against fans.

StarTime repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I think you can get there under the laws.

Excessive force against a spectator.
    Also, since they added "action(s)" to offensive behavior, I think you could go that route.

StarTime repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh of course you can get there. But there are knock-on ramifications if you aren’t doing this as a stand-alone results-based decision.

I’m being way too detailed on this, I know. The league will want him suspended for this and people will accept it. That’s how this will go, I imagine. But if he did the exact same thing and no one got hit? Or if it went 20 rows higher and hit a 40 year old man?

When punishment comes down I think we just all need to realize it is based off the specific result here rather than the act.

StarTime and socal lurker repped this.
  13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think from a PR standpoint, the league is going to be annoyed this wasn't VC, but that's speculation on my part.

Crying children amongst home fans because one of their players blasted the ball in frustration and it hit them/near them? Bad look for the league.

Note that last time there was a similar incident, the struck spectator required facial surgery.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    all kinds of decisions are made based on the result rather than the action

A66C and fischietto repped this.
  15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Admittedly, I haven’t watched the full incident. But couldn’t you have a fully accurate and truthful match report saying 2CT for dissent with an additional report basically saying “had he not already been sent off for the 2CT, I would have sent him off for VC”?

I had something like that in a game I did except the additional report was for OFFINABUS instead of VC. The 2CT was for dissent.

StarTime repped this.
  16. MLS ref fan

MLS ref fan Red Card

Liverpool
    United States
    Sep 4, 2022
    Count me in the camp of “this should just be VC”. How many times a game is a player allowed to hit a fan with the ball before being sent off? What you say is technically correct but since the dissent was kicking the ball away after the whistle (dissent by action ) which is the same action that caused the violent conduct, you have an inconsistency. Imagine a player yelling F - - - you and you arguing that it was only since F- - - was said first it was only dissent and when he added “you” then it was also offensive language. It’s one event…should be handled as such I think

StarTime repped this.
  17. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    NBA has a rule that I think would suit soccer as well. Automatic ejection if you cause the ball to go into the crowd with force.

18. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I see, this is his 4th and 5th caution of the season. The 5th caries a suspension. Does MLS enforce this as a 2 game suspension with one for the red and one for the accumulation?

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think so(?).

I believe you’re going to get the one game for the 2CT and then 2 games for “egregious” VC or however it’s termed by the DisCo when they go that route.

davidjd repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In MLS (and I think elsewhere?), getting your "yellow card accumulation suspension" card as a second yellow doesn't trigger the suspension for accumulation, since it already triggers a suspension for the red card. So his next yellow will suspend him for accumulation.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  21. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this interesting as there are a lot of possibilities. Is it 'games with a YC'? In that case if it were his first and second, then it would only count as 1 towards the accumulation. Or is it only a special case when you go over a suspension line?

How about if he was sitting on 4 meaning this is 5 & 6? I assume the same would apply as you stated where there wasn't an additional suspension but his next one, 7, would trigger it. There's also a suspension for 8 though so assuming that doesn't get pushed out then just one more would be another suspension.

Sorry, I don't think we actually know here, but I would hope this has been thought out b/c every situation which can occur we know will.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a second yellow card in a match is simply just not a yellow card for accumulation purposes. It is, in the eyes of the league (for disciplinary purposes) simply a red card.

So if you go into a match 1 yellow card away from accumulation suspension and you get a 2CT, you get a two game suspension (one for accumulation and one for the red card). If you go into a match 2 yellow cards away from accumulation suspension and get a 2CT, you get a 1 match suspension (for the 2CT) and are now 1 yellow away from accumulation suspension.

Does that sound right @JasonMa?

JasonMa repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, essentially the 2nd YC in a match is no counted towards accumulation, as it already comes with its own penalty.

24. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    No matter what happens with this suspension, it’s going to make me feel weird. In isolation, I think 3 games is probably about right for the offense, but giving this offense an equal or harsher punishment than what Kaku got for a much worse version of the same kind of offense just feels wrong.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed this. It's worth pointing out that Ford doesn't need to show the dissent caution and, consequently, the second yellow.

With hindsight, this is probably the right sequence of events....

1) Foul occurs, Ford recognizes/decides it's cautionable.
    2) Ball blasted into stands. Ford recognizes it as both dissent and VC, given the result or even just the direction and speed of the kick.
    3) Ford shows the first yellow, followed by a red. Writes it up as UB/PO + VC.

I still haven't seen video of the actual administration of the cards. Based on what I've heard and read, it was yellow+yellow+red. But--again with hindsight--it probably should have been simply yellow+red. If you then want to note that the VC was also dissent by action in your supplemental report, sure, knock yourself out, as a comprehensive report probably should include that detail. But I wouldn't go the other route of punishing the dissent and noting the VC.

And, for the third time, I write all this with hindsight.

jarbitro repped this.