2022 MLS Week 27 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Aug 25, 2022.

1. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #126 SouthRef, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    I'm glad they did this - they usually don't address non-interventions but I think this was handled well. I doubt that will make Cincinnati feel any better but this is a fair way to look at it.

"we can't be sure it was the right decision but we are sure it wasn't the wrong decision"

EDIT: Yes, I know there are some semantics involved here. Short of the SA offside system being used in the UCL/World Cup, these calls are just not possible to determine with certainty and so the attacker (appropriately) gets the advantage. When that system is rolled out widely I look forward to being enraged that a beautiful goal is ruled out by "toenail offside" but thems the breaks.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on Twitter, it hasn't

SouthRef repped this.
  3. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    [feigns shock]

Mi3ke and JasonMa repped this.
  4. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    It makes me sad. PRO does the right thing by explaining the logic and thought process and everyone on Twitter just says “you’re trash”. It’s unfortunate because as has been said here multiple times, this is the way PRO wants this to work. ARs that give the benefit of the doubt to attackers. VARs who don’t guess. You just can’t make everyone happy I guess

JasonMa repped this.
  5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When MLS eventually has SAOS and players are called off by a cm, all the same people will be complaining about those too.

StarTime, jarbitro, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, this partial transparency creates other issues. Where’s the Portland-Seattle PK? I don’t think I’m revealing any state secrets at this point when I say PRO wanted that reviewed and overturned. But it’s not addressed here. So for the one public communication on this, you get the controversial offside defended but not admission of error on the penalty call.

And it’s not like PRO is afraid to admit error. It’s just the selective aspect of it all. It’s erratic. Either admit all self-declared clear errors or don’t admit any. But if they admit all, that would eventually lead to an untenable situation. So you get the current hodgepodge approach.

JasonMa repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day, the uninformed masses will never be happy and will always complain. It’s a fools errand to ever think they will wise up.

Simply put, fans are conditioned to hate referees. Always have, always will. They just have places now where they can anonymously post defamatory commentary and get away with it.

8. incognitoind

incognitoind Member

Apr 8, 2015
    You wonder if the non acknowledgment may have something to do with the official involved

9. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wonder if it has to do with who complains as well. players, coaches, fans, etc will always complain

I wonder if someone associated with ownership complains they get more attention

10. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Honestly, I think the simpler explanation is that there was simply a lot more hoopla made about the Cincinnati call. Seattle fans complained, but it was a normal amount of complaining; this Cincinnati thing, for stupid reasons, somehow became one of the biggest controversies of the year. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

JasonMa, jarbitro and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    or PRO thought it was a useful vehicle for explaining the intervention standard

12. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States