2022 MLS Playoffs Round 1 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Oct 13, 2022.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowding, from both teams, at 66’ is just so unseemly. There’s really nothing that can be done on-field, though. You can’t yellow card everybody. If MLS was serious, this is the sort of thing that would get massive team fines.

SouthRef repped this.
  2. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    I’m assuming PRO has implemented the IFAB’s new guidance on this topic; for those in the know, is that correct? Seemed like exactly the sort of play the guidance sought to change.

3. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    An observation, it feels as though Vasquez’s disciplinary line is a bit higher than we’ve seen in the other four matches so far, which were surprisingly (and refreshingly) stricter than I expected for these playoff matches. Particularly after the 2-0 goal I feel like there’s been 2 or 3 fouls that, for example, Elfath would definitely have booked yesterday.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooh that was a really quick “check complete” at 89’. Easily could have been SFP.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he’s done well, though. I think there’s a bit of virtue in giving Miami a little more rope given the personalities, field conditions, and score line. Four cautions in the half feels right. It wasn’t like it was a violent or real testy affair.

seattlebeach and SouthRef repped this.
  6. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    It’s like what happens when I have to ref a men’s league game on a damn 100x55 yards field [emoji38]

7. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Lots of really full-blooded tackles in this one, but they’ve been mostly clean and honest so far. Getting more tense though as we approach the final minutes of regular time after a crunching (but clean) tackle on Fragapane.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a different world/era/competition (e.g., World Cup 1998) the two yellow cards in this match are red cards. But they are always yellow now and definitely yellows in this match. I'm sure Unkel is very happy that he had one each way within a minute of each other. Getting two easy cautions that everyone accepts in a match like this at that point in the game is a really good feeling.

9. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    I'll never understand. Unkel gets in the box twice, on a corner, to warn players to watch hands.

Corner kick.... aaaand whistle for a clear shove in the box.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That free kick at 117' was messy.

I actually think it was more than a defensible call. A lot of reasons why it wouldn't be handling, but Unkel was right that the hand was basically an open-palm... kind of hard to ignore that.

Not sure how a foul that was about 19-20 yards out ended up with a free kick that was 23 yards out, other than mass dissent pushing everyone back and Dallas wanting a little buffer.

And then the football lines showed the wall was 8-8.5 yards away at best, so Dallas' complaint about encroachment was, well, accurate.

Probably good that it all came to nothing.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will be 3/4 here. I think the other name is being saved because it will be a disappointment if he’s not used at all. One name that none of us have suggested will get a whistle, but it’s not a huge shock, really.

12. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    o_O Saghafi was already mentioned, so unless it's another playoff first-timer, I'm out of ideas.

15. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Hmmm Jair? Feels like he has hardly worked all year, though. I wish Freemon got a game but I doubt they’d put him directly into the second round for his debut.

seattlebeach repped this.
  16. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Off topic, but is there usually any World Cup talk on this refereeing forum? This will be the first World Cup since joining here and it would be really interesting to talk about the refereeing with you lot, especially comparing FIFA’s approach to what we see weekly with PRO.

17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is already a 2022 World Cup forum set up, and it will have a game thread for each match. If you think the discussion is good now, it goes to a new level during a major tournament.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forums/world-cup-2022-refereeing.1694/

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have doubts you'll ever see Marrufo officiating an MLS game again. So much so that I would bet on it. So, no, not him! It is a first-timer unless I'm missing something.

frankieboylampard and RedStar91 repped this.
  19. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    #44 StarTime, Oct 19, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    Thank you for the share, I will definitely follow!

And so much discussion there already I want to read through that’s gonna make me procrastinate the work I have to get done today, nice.