News: 2022 MLS In Season Transfer News and Rumours

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Mar 1, 2022.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might just be a short term gig, as the rumors about the clubs all over the world which were supposedly interested was quite long. It seemed more like the agent being hard at work, but who knows.

sitruc repped this.
  2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    His bridges are thoroughly burned at RSL, so I'd guess that the arrangement is simply one to get him to a less-toxic environment within the league while very little $$$ exchanges unless he actually ends up playing good minutes for DCU.

3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Crew have transferred Alexandru Matan back to a team in Romania.

So long Tiny Vampire and Mrs Matan.

6. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently it's only $75k GAM guaranteed (to be paid in 2023!), with another $150k in 2023 and $150k in 2024 should Ochoa sign in DC, along with a 25% sell-on should Ochoa sign and then be sold.

SetPeace, sitruc and rslfanboy repped this.
  7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robin Lod signs a three year extension with Minnesota United.

Was reported he was being targeted by at least one team in France.

SetPeace repped this.
  8. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Dominguez replacement.

And this from LAFC:

SetPeace repped this.
  9. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

SetPeace and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  10. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's pretty much apples to oranges, but $15 mil for Slonina and bupkis for Taty?

Onionrings and jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The punishment game is about to begin.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I saw the number for Slonina reported as 10 mil with some possible add ons. So maybe they amount to 5 mil under the best possible case for the Fire.

13. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Slonina is bet on the future. If it pays off 15 mill is nothing, if it doesn’t it’s not a huge loss, and he may be good enough to recoup it elsewhere.

Taty is what he is. I watch quite a bit of LaLiga. He looks pretty common. Don’t get me wrong. I like and respect Taty, but do I think he will make a huge impression in LaLiga? Can I find a guy like him there already? Not so sure.
    Not sure Espana is as certain of MLS quality as a few others are becoming either.

14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Quite a bit of smoke starting to come out of Spain that Rique Puig is close to joining the Galaxy from Barca. I'm going to say that I'm not quite sure how they can pull of that signing at this point. He is too old for a U-22 Initiative slot (turns 23 on the 13th) and those 3 slots are filled. He could be a Young DP but all of their DP slots are filled. So, he'd have to be a TAM signing, which I can't see happening unless Barca basically lets him go on the cheap (like almost for a free), or they'd need to somehow convert a DP to a non-DP or to not on the roster. They can't buy any of them down as they all make more than the TAM max (someone get Cabral's agent a raise). So, if true, not sure how they are getting him in considering their roster constraints.

15. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    European media still get confused between LAFC and LAG....

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Well, Fabrizio is on it and he is one of the few in European media that doesn't confuse MLS teams.

Sort of assumed the only way this got done would be with Barca just letting him go for cheap. The hefty sell-on percentage would make sense because LA effectively gets a discount up front and Barca gets their cut if he does well in LA and someone in Europe drops coin on him. Could be good business for all involved.

17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Mid-day stuff from 2 days before the window closes.

Official:
    • Richard Odada to the Union is complete.
    • Orlando sign Wilder Cartagena on loan through the end of this year with an option for next year.

Rumors:
    • Haris Medunjanin is leaving FCC to go to PEC Zwolle after this weekend's game.
    • Marcos Lopez has been sold to Feyenoord for somewhere over 1 million (he was out of contract in December)
    • Vancouver is finalizing a deal for Alessandro Schopf (28 year old Austrian international last with Bielefeld in Germany).

Oh. And this:

18. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the galaxy buy out Cabral and bring in Puig, or did they already do that this season?

19. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think you can buy out a player during the season, only in the off-season. This is either a TAM deal or the Galaxy have found a way to move one of their DPs somewhere else.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I believe you can, you just don't get any cap benefit from it. So they could buy out either Costa or Cabral but they would be on the hook for the cap charge. The question is would that free up the DP slot or would it still be tied up?

Either way I don't think it will matter as I think this will end up being a TAM deal that could escalate to DP in one of the option years. May also end up being something like a 2.5 to 3.5 year deal so he can head back to Europe earlier if he wants or can earn a DP deal if he wants to stay. No inside info on any of that (obviously) but just a gut feeling.

TrickHog and JasonMa repped this.
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor is that Ola Kamara might be coming to RSL for the rest of the season. I get the idea the team wants to see how Bobby Wood and Damir Kreilach come back from injury before getting a more permanent solution at forward.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — The Colorado Rapids have acquired midfielder Felipe Gutiérrez from Chilean side C.D. Universidad Católica on loan for the remainder of the 2022 MLS season, the club announced today. Sporting Kansas City will receive $50,000 in 2022 General Allocation Money (GAM) from the Rapids in exchange for Gutiérrez’s MLS priority.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. What do the rumors say RSL would give up?

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A couple of transactions by the Caps today...

and