News: 2022 MLS In Season Transfer News and Rumours

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Mar 1, 2022.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the season started, and MLS' transfer window still open.....time for a current thread.

To start things off:

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Sergi Roberto to LA Galaxy?

https://en.as.com/en/2022/03/02/soccer/1646181379_776824.html

I could see them doing what they did with Zlatan but selling Cabral? I don't see that happening unless he has a standout season.

I was really hoping to see Isco in MLS too since his contract is up this summer but I just saw he is going to sign with Sevilla.

5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I'd assume he is going to Rapids 2.

If they sell Cabral they'd still need to have a Young DP or a DP that makes under the TAM threshold. If you have 3 senior DPs all over the max TAM threshold, then you can only have one U-22 player. They have 3 right now so replacing Cabral with Roberto won't work unless they remove two of their U-22 signings.

Also, this has been making the rounds today:

Edit: And I just saw this piece of news as well:

Took 27 minutes to play his way out of the team's plans apparently.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if he's a Rapids 2 signing, or a Rapids first-team signing that will be loaned to Rapids 2, but either way I expect essentially 0 first team minutes rom him in 2022.

7. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    132 Russian league players would be eligible to leave on a free. I'm sure many will end up in MLS.

8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Diego Lainez would be a great signing for Houston.

I'd have to think those Russian clubs would be wanting money in hard currency back from the departing players. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up in CAS.

9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think they'll go for free. Those teams would want to recoup some money back. Players like Yuri Alberto (wasn't he linked with an MLS team just this past transfer window?) just got there last month and Zenit paid $27M for him.

Some very good players in the Russian league but the teams that are willing to spend in MLS already have DP spots filled and the ones that have DP spots available don't spend or won't spend that much on quality players.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welp if ever there was a situation for MLS to pull one of its patented "rules are made up and the points don't count" moments ... This would be it

VioletCrown repped this.
  11. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Of course those teams would want to recoup money, but they won't have a choice. This would crush the Russian league. Russian teams are banned from FIFA and UEFA tournaments. The next hammer to drop will be players ability to nullify existing contracts in Russia with FIFA approval.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russia would probably just join the AFC then.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Can FIFA nullify contracts in Russia for foreign players but not domestic players? Seems like the contracts should stand or fall as one. Most Russian banks still have access to SWIFT so rebates could be paid.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Paired with the rumor that the Crew are shopping Gyasi Zardes is another that they are interested in Liverpool's Divock Origi.

Chesco United repped this.
  15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, I'd probably die laughing if he ended up in Ohio. Just because I think the greater soccer internet would implode if that happened.

Couple interesting things for next year in St. Louis. First off they signed Joao Klauss as a DP (which I think is a waste on a DP slot, but I'm only going by what I can see in stats). Now they seem to be signing a keeper from Dortmund to be their starter. Roman Burki has apparently agreed to a TAM deal with them.

And MLS adjacent, there have been several interesting (to me) signings by MLS Next teams. KC has gone and signed 3 different 19 year old Ghanian players on loan. Dallas grabbed an 18 year old keeper from Sao Paulo's B team and then a Colombian U-19 player that was part of Bayern's world team. And the Union signed a couple 21 year old Venezuelans and are close to announcing Jose Riasco, an 18 year old Venezuelan striker that seems to have some serious upside. Supposedly, Tanner sold the ownership on the 1.5 million dollar fee by saying he thinks he could be similar to Karim Adeyemi (a player he helped bring to Salzburg before he left there to come to Philly).

17. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Another "confirmed" signing is Roman Burki from Dortmund to St. Louis for the 2023 season. And as what I've seen in comments now is that change of "MLS is a retirement league" to "MLS is a league where players who can't make it in Europe go there to retire early". LMAOL! Those people are in denial and will always be in denial.

18. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I never understood that line of attack. You’d think Euro enthusiasts would appreciate their stars being able to extend their careers at a lower but still decent level, but instead people often turn on the players completely.

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's great that Italy is a p[latform for Zlatam to extend his career!

SetPeace, sitruc, HailtotheKing and 2 others repped this.
  20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll say this is a good place for this... So, when Albert Rusnak came to the Sounders, he was asked how to pronounce his name correct.. Youtube Closed Captioning decided he said "Albatross Snack".

1504817701146951680 is not a valid tweet id

Chesco United and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given his RMC success I've always pronounced it as "not that f***ing guy again"

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Deeper into those tweets is that FCC still holds the top spot as they passed on Durkin. Apparently, they think they can get someone else on the list or trade that spot for more money. Rumor right now is Carlos Gruezo, who it sounds like RSL might be after.

23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fans (or so-called fans) have been pointing to the flaws of MLS and its acquisitions for more than 2 decades, and going on 3. Even if MLS teams qualified for the Club World Cup consistently, people would still grouse about it, saying the competition isn't all that important. I guess having nay-sayers is better than being ignored completely? With the inception of this professional soccer league, sportswriters from the outset were talking about how MLS would never catch on, because people who live north of Mexico wouldn't embrace the sport. I think we know how that bit of thinking turned out.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids will lose Trusty in mid-July and are down Keita due to an ACL tear, so this was a needed move.

HailtotheKing repped this.