2022 MLS Conference Semifinals Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by A66C, Oct 19, 2022.

1. A66C

A66C Member

N/A
    United States
    Jan 3, 2022
    10/20/22

Philadelphia Union vs FC Cincinnati
    Subaru Park (8PM ET)
    REF: Timothy Ford **1st Playoff Assignment
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    VAR: Kevin Stott
    AVAR: Mike Kampmeinert

Los Angeles FC vs LA Galaxy
    Banc of California Stadium (10PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Jeremy Hanson
    4TH: Alex Chilowicz
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

10/23/22

CF Montréal vs New York City
    Stade Saputo (1PM ET)
    REF: Drew Fischer
    AR1: Cory Richardson
    AR2: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    4TH: Jon Freemon
    VAR: Chris Penso
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Austin FC vs FC Dallas
    Q2 Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Kathryn Nesbitt
    AR2: Chris Elliott
    4TH: Guido Gonzales Jr
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

2. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Wow, good for Ford. It seems unusual for PRO to give someone their debut whistle in the second round. I want to say that’s the first time that’s happened since the previous format went away 4 years ago? Back then I think it was more common because matchups were two-legged.

3. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    No victor rivas?

4. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While no one is making their overall playoff debuts this round, there are several first-timers in various officiating roles:

Tim Ford (Referee)
    Jose Carlos Rivero (VAR)
    Jon Freemon (4th)

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like the Penso-Villarreal SFs, Elfath Final has written itself now. But I suppose there's a chance that Penso is earmarked for VAR-only duty these playoffs; that would feel really weird, but the idea can't be discounted. If it's not Penso, my bet is that Chapman gets repeated in the East (presuming he comes out of LA clean). But I'd lean heavily toward Penso.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? No one was repeated from the first round and his first round game was his first playoff match ever.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FS1 production crew might want to turn down that mic near Noonan. We are getting quite an education for what a MLS coach says to a fourth official. :)

StarTime repped this.
  8. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Announcers have noticed it too…

9. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard a very clear “dammit” from Noonan on that turnover.

also, whoever is “singing” Carnivale de Paris off key near that mic is not enhancing the viewing experience

RefIADad repped this.
  10. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure how that's a caution - seems like that's red or nothing

GlennAA11 repped this.
  11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting game from Ford. All told, he kept a decent lid on what felt like could be a powder keg. We’ve mentioned the one strange caution, but things could have exploded and didn’t. Maybe he could have clamped down harder on things around 65 minutes when it got pretty feisty, but I’m imagining PRO will generally be good with this one.

Now the next one tonight could be fun……

SouthRef repped this.
  12. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought overall he had a good game - it was a heated rivalry in an intense atmosphere and he kept things under wraps. Overall I like his management style although I'm not sure how effective it was from mid-second half onwards.

13. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see this but wish I had

JasonMa repped this.
  14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we would have a better angle for that fracas. Never really got a good view on the FS1 broadcast replays of whether there was any contact caused by Puig with his head. Have to admit that was a pretty strong comment by Donovan saying it’s a red in a regular season game.

15. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Wow, I’m quite surprised Puig is still on the field after that. By ref or by VAR, that’s gotta be a red one way or the other for the headbutt.

16. StarTime

StarTime Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2020
    Donovan saying he respects Chapman not “ruining the game,” I have to say I’d respect a lot more a referee who has the guts to make such a big call so early in the match. Where “managing the event” goes wrong…

JasonMa repped this.
  17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I THINK Puig had a headbutt, live action and the (really bad) replays weren’t conclusive for me. How Fox didn’t have a camera angle that wasn’t at ground level with a beyond me. That would probably influence my opinion on Chapman’s final decision.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oliver have red for less and via VAR about 7 hours ago. When the EPL has a lower VAR standard than MLS…

JasonMa and RedStar91 repped this.
  19. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    It’s a bullshit play by the defender though, standing over Puig taunting him. League needs to crack down on that shit, happens way too often.

20. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    This was always my fear with VAR. When the chips are really down and you have to make a big call 12 minutes into a game and you don't because it's 12 minutes into a playoff game.

So disappointing and so unsurprising.

IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  21. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Chapman did the best he could, isolating the player and (trying to) wave off the players coming in to bitch.

Unfortunate that he has to resort to tactics like that. When is soccer going to solve their ‘surrounding the referee’ problem? It’s saddening really.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    League doesn’t need to do a thing. We have the tools. Yellow for the aggressive behavior. Red for the violent reaction. It’s pretty easy.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, no one covers themselves in glory here and I could probably write ike 10 paragraphs on this, but in the interest of keeping it simple…

They are bitching because they are worried he will let Puig off without a red card. And he isolated him to give… a yellow card. Sure, the surrounding is a problem. But not making the correct and expected decision is also a major problem. I guarantee you Chapman at least thought harder about red because of the reaction. Until everyone is confident referees will do the right thing, the mass crowding will always be a secondary or tertiary problem.

This one is so bizarre to me. I got an ESPN push alert from the app saying “only a yellow for this?!” That never happens. Everyone knows the answer here and some in the referee community and in league offices or broadcast booths will bend over backwards to pretend the wrong answer is the best answer.

AlextheRef, JasonMa and RedStar91 repped this.
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The free kick/penalty decision just before halftime is almost as fascinating. Penalty called in real time. Changed to free kick after consultation with AR. Replays showed… simulation? Ruiz is dragging both feet before any contact. I think the actual contact is with the defenders non stretched leg, so to the extent it is a foul, free kick is correct. But if penalty had been maintained as the onfield decision, Rivero and Chapman would have had a big decision to make with any of three outcomes plausible (which is oh so ironic with the clear and obvious standard!).

socal lurker, gaolin and StarTime repped this.
  25. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Kind of love how unphased Chapman can seem sometimes.

MassachusettsRef repped this.