PBP: 2022 Match Day #4: New York City FC v. Union, March 19, 2022 p/d/p

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by cwelch999, Mar 13, 2022.

?

Predict The Outcome: New York City FC v. Union

Poll closed Mar 19, 2022.
  1. Win

30.0%
  2. Loss

30.0%
  3. Tie

40.0%
  1. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] VS. [​IMG]

DATE / TIME:
    Saturday, March 19, 2022
    1:00 PM EDT

MATCH PREVIEW:
    MLS Match Preview

VENUE:
    [​IMG]
    Yankee Stadium
    New York City, New York
    Ticket Information

GAMETIME FORECAST:

[​IMG]
    Cloudy with a chance for showers and thunderstorms
    Temp: 57°
    Feels Like: 54°

TELEVISION BROADCAST:

6ABC – WPVI 6 (Local)
    COMCAST: Channel 806 HD, 6 SD
    Verizon FiOS: Channel 506 HD, 6 SD

Streaming at https://www.philadelphiaunion.com/stream and on
    ESPN+

CURRENT MLS STANDINGS
    MLS INJURY REPORT
    MLS DISCIPLINE REPORT

LAST MEETING:

Sunday, December 5, 2021
    Subaru Park / Chester, Pennsylvania
    Philadelphia Union 1 - 2 New York City FC
    MLS Matchcenter

VixPix and sentrido repped this.
  2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm definitely not feeling this one. This is a classic buildup to a loss. The away fans will be full of piss and vinegar after NYC "beat" Philly thanks to COVID-19 last year on their way to one of the most unbelievable runs of sheer luck to fall ass backwards into winning MLS Cup somehow.

Uhre will still be injured. Santos will get the start next to Carranza. The super sweaty Union midfield will be useless on their kiddie field sized pitch. If they started McGlynn and Aaronson, I'd have a bit of optimism. But they won't. They'll trot out Bedoya, Flach, and Brujo. Again. And try to hustle in a phone booth. They'll round peg Santos' speed into the square hole of the tiny field.

The Union defense will do a great job containing them. But Castellanos will dive in the box for a penalty in the 87th minute and NYC win 1-0. It will be clearly and obviously a dive, but VAR won't overturn it.

Phillyspur repped this.
  3. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    A very plausible and detailed prediction!

4. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I hate that f'ing matchbox of a pitch. Almost as bad as astroturf.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  5. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hope the U finally get a win at Postage Stamp stadium. At least their ownership had the foresight to make their MLS cup championship banner proportional to the pitch size. If I haven't already said it, I hate that f'ing field. It is such a galling example of favoritism that they are still allowed to be playing there as their home field. If they cant host CCL games there because the field is too small why are the STILL playing MLS games there. Maybe a year or two I could stomach but still no plan in sight for a move after being announced as a new team almost 9 years ago and playing there since 2015. WHAT...THE...F?

Ok, maybe I'm still a little salty from the way things came about last time we played them but the points are valid.

6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. It actually went pretty much exactly how I thought it would tactics wise, but the Union showed me and won 2-0 off of a set piece and a wonderful attacking goal. The Union didn't even pretend to try to attack in the second half, but it worked for them.. Maybe that's why Jim is the coach and I'm just a dude on the internet.

Glesnes MOTM for me. Elliott and Harriel also played very well. Just a brick wall of a defensive performance today.

7. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Harriel's cross for the goal was slick. Mbaizo likely would have sent it across waist high so nobody could touch it and it would go out for a goal kick. Think Mbaizo got moved to the shrimp deck for the remainder of his time here. Not a bad player but Harriel has proved he is legit over the last several games

8. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Ascalz, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Harriel's seeming emergence is kind of funny to me because as my wife and I were discussing a day or so ago, the Philadelphia Union is now a team that many in the league would kill to emulate. Their homegrown academy is starting to routinely churn out at least MLS level talent, they don't break the bank to be competitive and on the field, they are definitely a team that I think many across the league go, "Oh hell, we play the Union on this day," when they see us coming up on the schedule.

It's funny considering how many years of utter garbage the fan base sat through and now we're here.

9. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SOBtilIdie

SOBtilIdie Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree. Its wonderful to see the results of a proper organization. Just ashame the first 5 years were mostly wasted time.

I also think back to the players on the roster the first 3-5 years and how much MLS has improved. Most of those guys are USL material in todays league.