2022 Gameday 7: RSL vs TFC - April 9th; 6:00pm MT.

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Apr 6, 2022.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL comes home from the two-game road trip this weekend to take on TFC. Results over the two games didn't go RSL's way, but a point was still a decent enough result with the abundance of injuries with this club right now. Three points at home, though, are a must for any team that wants to make the playoffs, especially across conference. RSL wants to do make the playoffs, last time I checked.

Some tidbits on TFC:
    • They currently sit 7th in the East with 7 points on a 2-1-2 (W/D/L) record.
    • They are coming to RSL off the back of a pair of home wins over DCU & NYCFC - both games ending 2-1 in favor of TFC.
    • Unsurprisingly, Pozuelo is rated as their top player on WhoScored with a 7.34 rating on the season. He has one goal and one assist on the season, neither leads the team, but he does lead with an average of 1.8 key passes per game.
    • The other players to watch are Jonathan Osorio (2 goals and an assist), Luca Petrasso (2 assists) and Jesus Jiminez (3 goals).
    • In their last two games they've played a 3-4-2-1 setup, similar to the one RSL looks to use when Kreilach is healthy. However, in their road games they have pivoted to a 4-5-1 shape.
    Overall, this is an intriguing matchup based purely on recent form. TFC was really slow out of the gates while RSL came sprinting out. Over the last two weeks, though, TFC has found two good results while RSL has struggled on the score sheet. We know the caveats to that, so maybe this isn't such a story of two clubs in opposite directions as it may appear on paper.

Who will play? Does anybody really know? My stab at it would be this 4-2-3-1 if Kreilach can go:

Cordova
    Meram Kreilach Chang
    Caldwell Ruiz
    Schmitt Orozco Silva Brody
    MacMath

If Kreilach isn't able to start, I think you see the 4-3-3 from the cRapids game with Luiz in for Kreilach

I'm sadly out of town so won't be in attendance for this one. I'll try to find somewhere to watch it in Vegas

rslfanboy, goobx1 and Med_Phys repped this.
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I try not to have expectations with this team. It’s a bit more fun that way. I’m always surprised what happens every game.

So 3-1 RSL!

what the heck. I didn’t start this thread.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m catching the early flight to Vegas the next morning. Thus, skipping attendance at the match so that I can get to bed earlier than normal. There was a station in Vegas that carried all of the RSL games, much like KMYU here. The two stations have the same ownership I believe. I don’t know what public places might show it though. Possibly one of the larger sports books like the one at Westgate.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I think this will be an interesting one. Mainly, if RSL can’t neuter TFC, then we’ve got serious problems.

It will also be interesting how we do as Kreilach comes back into the lineup.

I also hope Pablo goes to the bench a little sooner. All the subs against the Crapids would have been better 5 minutes sooner, or more.

15 to 32, Med_Phys and goobx1 repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Anybody know what it means when they are advertising the game as Utah Jazz Night?

6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being home will be our key ingredient. 2-1

7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried to look up what the Utah Jazz night is supposed to be, and of course the info doesn't seem to be anywhere. Is it because they clinched playoffs? Because some players will be in attendance? Apparently we don't need any of that info.

8. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Does it mean RSL will blow a 3-0 lead?

acima, UofRSL, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  9. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts exactly. If it really going to be in Jazz fashion, it will be more like a 6-0 lead.

15 to 32 repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey
    They’ll get a competitive advantage from not disclosing that information. I’m sure

goobx1, acima and DrownedElf repped this.
  11. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Getting the first goal vs TFC is pretty key. Away game for them in altitude with a young team.

TFC started the season with pretty weak wingbacks but have improved those positions considerably since. TFC's real issue is they have no defensive CM. Old ass Michael Bradley plays the 6 and is completely inept at breaking up opposition attacks. Poz and Osorio don't play much defence, either.

rslfanboy, acima and RSLer repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re Bradley, we just don't have much of an attack right now for him to need to break it up, which might work out nicely for TFC. It's smoke and mirrors in RSL-land right now.

acima repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MERAM!!!

boris9678 repped this.
  14. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    I forgot to include simple tackles against an opponent standing still. MB is terrible.

acima repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's one way to lose your steam

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that cutback was pretty simple, especially when a TFC defender already had the angle Bradley took covered.

17. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    That didn’t last long.

18. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    Luckily for TFC, the young kids are pretty good so far. Probably good enough to stay in playoff contention until the big guns arrive in summer.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in the same boat re reinforcements.

It is really fun to see Orozco take such advantage of this opportunity. I imagine we're less interested in adding a CB than we might have been, assuming Glad and Kappelhoff come back soon.

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why no Dunny on the broadcast tonight?

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guessing Dunny was doing a national broadcast or something higher profile

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately we're just not getting any help forward for all these 1v3+ situations

23. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAMIR!!!!

RoyalNonesuch repped this.
  24. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a sweet set up for the goal.

rslfanboy repped this.
  25. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patient, testing, switching, when they allowed the opening, take it. Goal!