2022 FIFA U-20 WWC Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Mar 31, 2021.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan gets an early goal off a well worked free kick. 3-1 But it looked offside VAR is reviewing and reviewing and reviewing. Goal good.

2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Again Japan's goalkeeper screws up and fails to call off her defender for an easily catchable ball. It only cost a corner that came to nothing but it was a very stupid failure. If it was the defender that failed to yield to the 'keeper the the mistake just moves to another Japanese player and the 'keeper still should have caught the ball.

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Japan's coach must want to lose. They get one goal off quite central play and then they go back into the "attack down the wings" strategy that got them behind by 3 in the first place.

I know the Japanese people are very smart in general. I wonder where they found such a stupid coach.

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, he's so "stupid" that he won this same tournament in 2018. Maybe they found him there. ;)

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He must have had the best squad by far last time. This Japanese team is clearly a LOT better than they are playing and the only reason the whole team plays stupid is if the coach instructs them to play that way.

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To have any chance Japan must attack but they just wasted several minutes with aimless passing around the back.

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When Japan got their goal I thought they might have a chance but they quit playing dangerous football and went back to playing exactly how Spain wants them to.

They have effectively folded their tents and are going home early. They are now just waiting for the final whistle,

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This match is horrible. It is much worse than the third place match. I am abandoning this for tonight and I wonder if I really should have wasted my time watching. Bad commentary and a bad match and the only redeeming feature is the the third place match at least had good play by play.

Goodby for tonight.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess we can safely say that Japan didn't go out with a whimper: this second half was way better and Spain was at least a little worried in the middle of it.

Congratulatios to Spain. :notworthy: At this age-level, Spain and Japan are dominating forces. The last two finals were specular: in 2018 Japan-Spain 3-1, in 2022 Japan-Spain 1-3. :)

I hope Maika Hamano will get one of the individual awards of this tournament: I guess she deserves it.

kennytt and Hexa repped this.
  10. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    That isn't in the LOTG. Professional/Tactical fouls isn't even a yellow card foul. Unless it is persistent. o_O

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Congrats to Japan and Spain for reaching the final. Overall they were the better teams. Also it is great that both teams play a possession style game with very skillful players.

I thought it was a good tournament and showcased talent from all over the world. I am happy Brazil was able to reach the Semis and was tested outside C'BOL.

There are still a lot of development for these young Brazilians but there are a few players that could eventually make the transition for our senior squad.

blissett repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I did not say it was. I just detest the so called "professional" foul. To me that brings the game into disrepute more than even serious foul play. The "professional" foul and the obvious slowing down by taking longer that necessary for any action should be eliminated from the sport. Also either they need to fix VAR or eliminate it from the game. The way it has been used in this tournament is about as close to criminal as anything on the soccer field can be.

I want some professional fouls to be a red to get them out of the game. Clearly what is currently being done is not effective. If that needs a change to the Laws then it should be change. On the other hand if they just define the "professional" foul as serious foul play then changes to the law would not be needed.

blissett and Hexa repped this.
  13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Tactical fouls are yellow cards, but most referees don't understand the tactical value of those fouls and therefore don't book the players.

Cautions for unsporting behaviour
    There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
    • commits any other offence which interferes with or stops a promising attack, except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball
    And the tackle from behind CAN be a red card, but again most referees don't use that rule to protect the attacking players, because excessive force, well who can define it properly...

Serious foul play
    A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

JanBalk and Lechus7 repped this.
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Congratulations to Spain by the way. Their youth training system brings a bucketload of quality players every year as seen at euros u-17 and u-19 level.

blissett repped this.
  15. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #840 desinho, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Because you're a moderator? Beats reading the solo ramblings :laugh::ninja::whistling: .... (also barely notice any delays, maybe some connections/ devices need upgrading to the 21st century? You're not entirely wrong on this point but the odd post here and there is not going to bring the forum to a halt).
    Lastly, I don't see any 'media threads all over' least of all in this women's football section ....

16. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    On that note

Lechus7 repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Congrats Spain.

I am interested to see how many of these players make the WWC next year. Off the top of my head -

Tarciene - One of the best central defenders I’ve seen at a WWC. Surely she will be in the Brazil WC squad? Has the size, pace and presence but is also very good on the ball.

Hamano - Very talented. I guess the question is how long will it take to adapt to senior levels pace and physicality.

Caicedo - Already in there team and one of their best players.

Esther Onyenezide - Creative midfield option who can finish from outside the box.

blissett repped this.
  19. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hexa repped this.
  20. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Not every attack or counter attack is a promising attack. Also, no one really can enforce this unless every attack counts as a promising attack, and if you do; you will ruing the game beyond any recognition.
    Neymar would open a clinic on how to roll and dive at the slightest contact and everyone would dive to get the other team a YC. DOGSO is enforced and fair.

I don't consider tackles as excessive force or brutality either, IMHO is more about the speed and power of the challenge. A shoulder charge against a player back could be excessive force if done at full sprint and full weight.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Nigeria have promoted 5 players from this tournament to their senior squad for the game against USA. Quick turnaround for them.

I remember when Phil Neville wanted to do this with England’s U20 players after the U20 WC and England youth coach Mo Marley demanded he did not do it because they needed the rest.

The five players include centre back and captain Blessing Oluwatosin Demehin, right back Jumoke Alani, left back Rofiat Imuran, and midfielder Deborah Abiodun and Esther Onyenezide.

blissett and Lechus7 repped this.
  22. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Spain did that with Pedri and he ended up injured for a large part of the club season.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.