News: 2022 - DCU Club Discussion and Analysis

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Seriously?

I admit to not being deeply knowledgable about the "system" in many Euro countries, but I doubt that many of them rely on unrealistic/unhealthy expectations with moving targets, draconian monitoring of social media for possible offenses, and poor to nonexistent communication from the head coach.

2. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard anecdotes about Bayern's academy and my nephew was in the 1860s for almost 8 years. The public part seems odd but the physical training and diet and nutrition was strict.

John L repped this.
  3. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not the over the line stuff. Seems like a simple ask from the FO of Hernan's coaching in Belgium or asking players that played for him. Not doing the diligence (if there were issues) is a problem. I think if this was an issue at Beerschot we would have heard something at this point.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nutrition based on science is different than what Seitz describes.

5. The Ghost of Hamdi Salihi

DC United, Brighton
    Scotland
    Jan 17, 2020
    Pleasant Plains, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    His fitness system was modeled after Bielsa's, and it was par for the course only at Leeds, which had a trajectory remarkably like ours. Toast of the Premier League for the first half of last year, fell apart at the end and wound up in a defensive shell as players dropped and losses mounted. This year, the 2nd year, Leeds looked flat from the very start and like a different team. More and more injuries. Coach Bielsa gets fired. Jessee Marsch takes over and says the team was seriously "overtrained." Leeds will probably be relegated next week.

2021 pre-season PR: According to Losada, one of his favorite coaches is Marcelo Bielsa, current Head Coach of Premier League side Leeds United.

January 2021:

yabo and John L repped this.
  6. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    "In anticipation of moves in summer transfer window, D.C. United trading 160K of 2023 GAM to Portland Timbers for 2022 intl roster slot, source says. #dcu #mls #rctid "

from Goff - Soccer Insider

Winoman repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You may have invented something special but I'm not sure he'd want to be associated with losing.
    [​IMG]

Daniel le Rouge2 and Winoman repped this.
  8. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nightmare stat:
    Flores has 12 shots on the season. ONE on goal.

9. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    I don’t remember anyone saying that being a professional athlete was “healthy.”

Unpopular opinion: these guys and many America athletes are a bunch of babies.

You want to be paid handsomely to play a game for a living? It has a price. Take a desk job if you can’t handle the pressure. Plenty of others will take your place.

I have observed many Olympic champions. I would describe none of them as mentally healthy. Mental health is for retirement. Elite athletics requires extreme sacrifice. Sorry, that’s just how it is.

Ps I hope none of my kids want to be truly elite athletes. The price is high.

Yowza and bigredfutbol repped this.
  10. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS is a league of professional athletes with a myriad of professional standards that vary team by team (and coach by coach). Player movement is not free and open but controlled by the league so it makes the process for a player a bit more convoluted than equivalent foreign leagues. We also don't have many players that view soccer as their only way out (of whatever situation they were in).

What MLS doesn't have is elite athletes. We haven't had one since Zlatan who is both a workaholic, genetic lottery winner, and has the intuition and intellect to excel on the field. In the top leagues you will have one or two elite athletes per team and the rest of the players that aspire to elite status. In MLS you have maybe one top player with game changing skills and then other players that are either looking for a stepping stone to a better league or those that are journeymen (deck chairs). MLS is a league that you can put off your masters degree for.

So there is a mid ground and a coach should either know this or be told this by his bosses. With Losada it is obvious he crossed the line with the shaming. That is unprofessional anywhere. I think he would've been able to keep doing it if he didn't criticize the ownership. The letter to fans after his firing made no mention of this and could easily have ameliorated the whole situation if that was the given reason. Instead we got some word salad about having a competitive team and not getting results.

Winoman repped this.
  11. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Wow. So success must be gained at the cost of mental health? If Seitz’s tweets are true, Losada deserved to get the bum’s rush. Shaming in an employment setting is never OK. If Losada didn’t want Seitz around then cut him/send him to Loudoun or otherwise loan him out. What you don’t do is use another human being as your personal punching bag.

Winoman and SoccerEsq repped this.
  12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except we as a culture seem to tolerate, accept, and even expect that kind of behavior from “innovators”, and CEOs, media personalities, and celebrities. It is odd that we have a line at all. As a culture we willingly bend the knee to the ones we anoint.

13. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Who hired this man? I assume the parties involved have been fired?

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP

15. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Last year the NWSL made strides to purge their league of this bullshit. Many heads rolled. Again, if Seitz’s tweets are true, both Kasper and Rushton should see the door, They either knew about this and it was OK (until Arriola wanted out) or they did’t keep tabs on the coach or talk with the players. Neither course is excusable. I sincerely hope The Athletic digs into this story.

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the micromanaging of family time and punishing a player for an old social media post he wasn't even in was over the top, to put it mildly. That incident speaks of insecurity and immaturity--both of which can be overcome, but man I was cringing a bit when I first read that.

This is where I fault the GM and staff--they committed to bringing in a young coach near the beginning of his career, but seemed to provide little in the way or support or mentoring.

fatbastard, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  17. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the fact that some people on Reddit think Seitz is fabricating some/all of this.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son was playing semipro in Europe when COVID hit, and he's back over there (different country/league this time) at the moment.

He would co-sign everything you wrote above. It's very different over there, and for most American players it's probably more than they're willing to tolerate.

Winoman repped this.
  19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I read on The Athletic today that apparently Levien & Kaplan were in discussions to buy the Nationals outright, and are still looking to get a piece of minority ownership there. All I can say is... WTF but I guess I'm not surprised?? If you have enough money to throw around and buy an entire other sports team, you really should instead focus on bettering the team you already have... *heavy sigh*

tallguy, TowsonDad, Adler and 5 others repped this.
  20. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would he gain from that?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A defamation lawsuit? Otherwise, nothing.

I mean, Seitz risked his career a decade ago to be a bone marrow donor. He's one of the good guys, and not someone who's going to fabricate or exaggerate a story to throw someone else under the bus.

22. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    The story also rings true based on events.

A year ago this board was screaming for Seitz to play over Kempin while Hamid was hurt. Kempin is terrible, everyone said. How can Seitz not be getting another chance?

Now we know why...

23. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    This whole Seitz thing also perhaps lends a little bit of context to why Zach Thorton is no longer here.

I mean, I can see Thorton (not, umm, a small man) taking issue with Losada running one of his keepers into the ground and saying you have to lose 20 pounds or whatever to be a good goalie.

sitruc, Alejandro 10 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    As I recall from his days with the MetroScars, Thornton was a bit of a "plus-sized" goalie.

25. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That Seitz article was shocking. If all true then Losada absolutely had to go. I also want to note that Julian Gressel looked particularly gaunt at one point last year as well. There is an optimal body fat for athletes. Lighter is not always better.

26. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His MLS page lists him as 6'3" and 229.

Seitz is listed as 6'4" and 236.

For comparison, Hamid is listed as 6'3" and 225.

Winoman repped this.