2022 CONCACAF W Championship (WCQ)

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Apr 19, 2022.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draw has been held, so we know the group:

Group A:
    United States
    Mexico
    Jamaica
    Haiti

Group B:
    Canada
    Costa Rica
    Panama
    Trinidad and Tobago

The tournament will be in Monterrey, Mexico. The schedule isn't completely set, but we know the group stage matches will be held on July 4, 5, 7, 8, and 11. The semifinals will be on July 14, and the final and 3rd place match will be on July 18.

Teams who make it out of their group and to the semifinals will qualify for the 2023 WWC (CONCACAF now has 4 slots at the WWC). The two 3rd place teams from each group will advance to an inter-confederation playoff tournament (3 out of 10 teams in the inter-confederation playoff tournament will qualify for the WWC).

The winner of this tournament will automatically qualify for the 2024 Olympics as well, while the 2nd and 3rd place teams of the tournament will play in a CONCACAF Olympic play-in series (CONCACAF has 2 slots at the Olympics).

jnielsen, dams and NCChiFan repped this.
  2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    they should make the last group A and group B matches at the same time

jnielsen repped this.
  4. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Mexico vs USA in the universitario will be a close game where they will be tested in front of a truly hostile crowd

5. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Five games in fifteen days. Is that reasonable?

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    Well at least there is no travel. It will be harder in Aus/Nz where you will need to fly somewhere after every game.

jnielsen repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so. While it is maybe not as spread out as we see in a WWC, it's still similar to what you'd see in other tournaments (including WCQ, Olympic qualifying, and the Olympics). It's certainly better than it used to be. The 2014 WCQ tournament was 5 games in 12 days, and that one included travel because it was hosted in the US.

Also if Andonovski does the same as the 2020 Olympic qualifying tournament (and the same as other previous coaches in WWC qualifying), we'll likely see continued testing of different line-ups, which will also help manage minutes.

8. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Such short turnarounds. They looked tired in the Olympics so having more of the younger players will surely be an advantage with their greater energy and faster recovery.

9. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    uswnt got the stronger team (& canada got the weaker) of each pair picked out of the bowls.

mexico/costa rica
    jamaica/panama
    haiti/t&t

will that mean anything when the games begin?

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Why think of this as "testing lineups?" Why not figure testing is all done, and these lineups are changing simply to manage minutes?

Just because we may not have seen the combination before doesn't mean the coaches haven't worked with it in practice 20 times. Against world class players.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It shouldn't. Jamaica and Haiti should be an easy six points and Mexico is improving but not close to our level.

12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Saw the roster and am not happy that he has included a few too many dinosaurs. I really thought he had moved past Rapinoe, Morgan and maybe Press? I know he has to go from 37 to 23 but there are sooo many unknowns that won't be hard. Seriously... might as well bring Abby or Mia out of retirement.

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he has, but Morgan currently is the league leader in goals so maybe he shouldn't. Anyway, it's a prelim list of 59 (not 37) players from which the 23 will be chosen. It just indicates the player pool, and I don't think a veteran is going to be struck from that pool unless they've indicated to the coaching staff that they're retiring or haven't been called in since Vlatko took over. On that note, Leroux on the list was the bigger surprise to me than Rapinoe.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    He likes speed, and she's got hers back; and she's a much much better player now than she was back then, with a more sophisticated take on the game.

If Williams does not recover in time, LeRoux would be a plausible fill in. She's playing very well ATM.

But it is quite a deep list, and yet no Harris, no Krieger, no Zerboni,,,

That's an observation, BTW, not a complaint. It is a good list.

PacmanJr_00 repped this.
  16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #16 FawcettFan14, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    The preliminary roster is out, and it's HUGE-- 59 players by my count.

Goalkeepers (7): Bixby, Kinsgbury, Campbell, Franch, Murphy, Naeher, Tullis-Joyce

Defenders (19): Cook, Dorsey, Dydasco, Fox, Girma, Hiatt, Huerta, Loera, Mace, Madril, Mason, Matthias, McNabb, Menges, O'Hara, C. Pickett, Sauerbrunn, Sonnett, Stabb

Midfielders (14): Bethune, Coffey, Cluff, DeMelo, DiBernardo, Horan, Howell, Kornieck, Lavelle, McCaskill, K. Mewis, Nighswonger, Sullivan, Weatherholt

Forwards (19): Balcer, Morgan, Cooper, Leroux, Hamilton, Hatch, Heath, Kizer, McDonald, Press, Pugh, Purce, Rapinoe, Rodman, Sanchez, Smith, Thompson, Watt, Weaver

I like the new inclusions of Tullis-Joyce, Loera, Coffey, DeMelo, Kornieck, Watt. Shows Vlatko is paying some attention to NWSL form.

College players included: Madril, Mason, Bethune, Nighswonger, Cooper, Thompson. Not too familiar with them except that Madril is a strong CB and Cooper is the U20 top goalscorer.

A nod to NWSL stalwarts Menges, Weatherholt, DiBernardo. Very long shots, but nice to see their hard work recognized.

We have a very strong pool. Can't really argue with this list. This is even without Macario, Davidson, Dunn, Ertz, S. Mewis and Williams. All of whom except Williams are possible starters if healthy.

PacmanJr_00 and jnielsen repped this.
  17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The list has to be broad because it is a pool they can choose from if there are injuries. So any player who has USWNT experience and is able to play health-wise during that time period will be on this list. Sam Mewis, C Dunn, Dahlkemper, Lynne Williams, Macario, JJ, etc are clearly not going to be healthy and fit to play that event so they are left off. Tobin was only a hamstring and would be healthy at that point. She probably already is.

18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Calling in 59 players at this point sounds weird to me. Since the Olympics, in 11 matches about 30 different players have appeared. It appeared to me that the final 23 were going to chosen from that group -- with a possible one or two players added who had come up late and strong in the NWSL.

So, what does a pool of 59 players called up imply? Dissatisfaction with the existing pool and a hope that a jewel or two will emerge among the new players? How is he going to evaluate all 20 or so new players in a camp? That sounds like a monumental job to me if, in fact, the new players are given a chance to make the roster and are not just cannon-fodder. And why does Vlatko need so much cannon fodder?

I would think at this point in World Cup preparation you would have 30-35 players (including injured veterans) under consideration as members of the National Team. Not 59.

19. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    59 players are not called up. It is just a preliminary list they will choose from.

lil_one and taosjohn repped this.
  20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I've said we need to cast a wide net. Didn't realize it was so wide.

21. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2017, world-renowned theoretical physicists published a Scientific Paper placing a limit (38) on USWNT players participating in a specific Training Camp. Something about devastating consequences caused by the concentration of energy and awesomeness disrupting gravitational forces and the space-time continuum.

jnielsen repped this.
  22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three weeks out and it's never to soon to get your viewing options planned:

wwcq1.jpg

Paramount+ has a free trial offer....I've seen both 7-days and one month listed. I couldn't find definitive information on the Semi's and Finals.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Chipotle has been named the official Mexican food to eat by the UWSNT, thus I fear an extra motive for the Mexicans to want to beat us?

that match is going to be played in an suburb of Monterey, home to the popular Tigre’s club(that averages 15K for their games). Surprised it’s not played at Azteca/Mexico City. Not just cause of the mile high, altitude advantage, but their unruly fans tend to pee into their beer cups & dumped it on the American Outlaws in the bleachers below. Let’s hope their woso fans have a better etiquette!
    Kornieck is an excellent choice, very physical/strong(standa 6 ft 1) midfielder in the Sam Mewis mold. surprised her SD Wave team mate, Turnbow, didn’t make it, as she’s helped make that club current
    leaders in the standings with her ability/agility to play at various positions.
    Among vets like O’Hara & Pinoe don’t even start on their respective clubs anymore((it still could make them an good super sub though). In her last game, Press suffered an twisted knee cap(dunno the recovery time)

24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Roster:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Aubrey Kingsbury (Washington Spirit; 1), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage; 4), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars; 80)

DEFENDERS (7): Alana Cook (OL Reign; 9/0), Emily Fox (Racing Louisville FC; 13/0), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC; 1/0), Sofia Huerta (OL Reign; 12/0), Kelley O’Hara (Washington Spirit; 152/2), Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland Thorns FC; 202/0), Emily Sonnett (Washington Spirit; 65/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon, FRA; 109/25), Taylor Kornieck (San Diego Wave FC; 0/0), Rose Lavelle (OL Reign; 71/20), Kristie Mewis (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 38/5), Ashley Sanchez (Washington Spirit; 7/2), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit; 27/3)

FORWARDS (7): Ashley Hatch (Washington Spirit; 8/4), Alex Morgan (San Diego Wave FC; 190/115), Mallory Pugh (Chicago Red Stars; 72/23), Midge Purce (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 14/3), Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign; 187/62), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit; 3/1), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC; 15/4)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...iendlies-and-world-cup-and-olympic-qualifying

jnielsen repped this.
  25. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sonnett is the most mediocre national teamer of all time. Tell me I am wrong.

Klingo3034 and Namdynamo repped this.