Pre-match: 2022 CONCACAF U-20 Championships, Final: USA vs the Dominican Republic, 7/3 @ 8 PM EDT

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Master O, Jul 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly the goal was getting back to the Olympics world cup, but I think the final is important. Let's get this group in the habit of winning trophies.

RunthePoint, dan96man, Magikfute and 3 others repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is the lineup I'd play.

GK: Carrera
    RB: Cuevas
    CB: Ferkranus
    CB: Neal
    LB: Allen
    DM: Pukstas/Edelman (if Pukstas is fit, he plays)
    LCM: Alvarado
    RCM: McGlynn
    LW: Luna
    CF: Aaronson
    RW: Sullivan

I'd utilize some rotation because you can't run the same guys out there two days after the fat, but otherwise a lot of the best players.

4. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think we know who Varas considers his best xi from the Honduras game which was the crucial piece to the puzzle. The final just isn't as important and will be likely used to figure out who can play with whom.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He’s been rotating. I don’t think that was his first XI. Close to it probably, but I think we’d see a few different players in there for the first XI.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Whom? Pukstas had a subpar game before getting injured, I doubt about Luna, the rest were way less effective.

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different fullbacks?

Peretz48 repped this.
  9. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a weird game. It’s the final but also the least consequential game we’ll play all tourney. And also the least heralded opponent or among them. Obviously DR is playing great and needs to be taken seriously just pointing out the strangeness of this match. Usually a final is for all the marbles and against a significant foe (Mexico more often than not). Wonder if this all could spell trap game.

russ, Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  10. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is the lineup I would go with. Really want to see Cuevas back at his natural position.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, I agree with you on Cuevas on the right. Cuevas has gotten mixed reviews on the left. He should show better on the right, and I would bet that a run of games on the right would have put him in a different light, but of course we never got to see that.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    They have just 3 fullbacks, and, apparently, Halliday is prefered to Allen, as Cuevas has been moved to the left just to have Halliday on the field. No matter who is playing today, Honduras starters were A team.

13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halliday was quite poor in the 1st couple of games but grew into the tourney. It would have been nice to have a better natural LB on the roster. 3 fullbacks is just not enough IMO. What happens if one goes down injured? Hopefully Atlanta will release Wiley for the U20 WC Finals. He and Cuevas could start and then Allen and Halliday could back them up. It also shows how important it is to bring in players that have positional flexibility due to the limited roster slots. Case in point... I have said it too many times already... but they should have brought Owen Wolff in over his brother. Not only is he more talented but he is starting in the MLS at Winger even though his best position is CM.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    He’s played in right this tourney. I don’t think anyone this Cuevas is bad. He’s just not a left back.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the first choice CB’s are Neal and Craig. I also think Allen is first choice over Halliday. Luna/McGlynn is probably a close call for the coach, and then Cowell might be first choice somewhere also.

I think this was rotation, not the first choice lineup. There might not be a first choice lineup yet.

don Lamb repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Varas decided that Cuevas - Halliday is better than Allen - Cuevas, though none was good on the left, and neither Clark nor Cowell were actually big help, unlike Sullivan on the right.

17. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Halliday - Cuevas started CR as well. Luna was poor against decent opponents.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don’t think using the same group two games in a row means that’s the starters. What if Allen starts today and the minutes for them all look very similar at the end? I’m not convinced about that.

As for Luna, I don’t disagree, but we don’t coach the team. He likes Luna in that position, and it’s not like McGlynn has been one of our best players either this tournament. They are both not quite full starters and therefore rotating for a spot.

gogorath repped this.
  19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you need to rotate for this 1, w/ one day rest in between. You may get better results, the main job is done, and on paper DR is very manageable.

Plus, you may want to throw a bone to certain players who you want to ingratiate because they may contribute in the future, and already have when they're on the field. I'm mainly thinking of Carrera when I say that.

I'd start Luna. He got rest and the US should be able to control the ball. They'll be hanging out in the final 3rd, where Luna thrives in the tight spaces. I'd be open to playing him in the middle in this one.

You have to sit Clark and Alvarado. Clark never came off & Alvarado did late. They played hard and have logged a lot of minutes. Got to consider using Sullivan and Aaronson as subs too. They're starting every game.

I don't know if all of them can be kept out of the lineup. This was mandated to be a small roster. Then it shrunk even further when they lost Cowell & Pukstas. You sit who you can. If you're in trouble by the 2nd half, call in the cavalry.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yeah, I don't know if we know or have even seen Varas' exact #1 lineup. This was just a lot of rotation and now we're missing Cowell and Pukstas and there can be cascades from there.

By the way, I think Ferkranus has actually played pretty well. Not as flashy with the ball, but this is the first time I've seen him and I think he has a decent amount of potential.

ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ferkranus is good. I worry about his pathway though. He's second string for a pathway that we don't know if the first string is going to get a chance anytime soon.

What he's struggled with the last two seasons is consistency. He's a good player, but between injuries and lack of minutes, he tends to hesitate with his decisions at the wrong times and can be prone to errors. I think it's about reps, and he struggles for them.

I have no problem with him playing for us at the U-20 WC, but he is someone who could really have used a loan somewhere else.

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He didn't start Allen for two straight the most important games. McGlynn over Luna is a matter of preference, none of them have endurance, so here it's definitely rotation. I think McGlynn had a pretty good Honduras game: besides free kicks, that was him who kicked that header out of the empty net.

Winoman repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched someone's highlights on YouTube (can't remember who :mad:) and it showed a lot of possession, set plays and quick one touch movement. It also highlighted how good Craig's free kicks were and McGlynn's disguised passes were. Craig we all saw but he was right if you watched McGuinn he would set his body and hips to appear to be about to pass to the left only to cut it back a bit across his body for a 20-30 yard pass on the ground to someone central or on the right flank. Both of those players were big in getting an early lead. I have agreed about rotation but I'd play the best who can go, get another early lead and then put on subs if anyone tires. Perhaps the goals off the free kicks are the most important factor as it punishes fouls and the senior teams lack of goals off of these means they have to struggle against pack defenses instead of teams having to push to score to catch up.

Winoman repped this.
  25. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you're talking about this video.

Pegasus and Jack0503 repped this.