2022 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #26 Clint Eastwood, Jan 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Pepi just won it. He's the 2nd MLS-based player to do so.

[I actually think that Pepi's huge January move to Europe really skewed the 2021 vote at the last minute. One can argue that all of Richards, Busio, and Scally were playing at a higher level and more consistently than Ricardo Pepi in 2021. Heck, there are a lot of FCD fans who'll tell you that Jesus Ferreira was consistently better than Pepi in 2021 for them. But whatever.......................]

There are a couple of Euro based guys that can win it with ease if they break thru. Jonathan Gomez at Real Sociedad is at the forefront of that.

There will be surprises in Europe. Like Scally and Hoppe were in 2021.

I'm totally with you, though. There's a lot of young talent in MLS that may take the next step in 2022.

2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think after Sargent/Uly/Richie/Mendez etc skipped MLS and went right to Europe, MLS sweetened their HG deals and also offered them to younger players. So, most of the players are starting in MLS now.

RossD repped this.
  3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think it was less the wages and more MLS accelerating the timeline and taking advantage that they have access to the kids before they turn 18. Sign the guys at 15 or 16, get them PT at 17 or 18, get them sold to Europe at 18 or 19. That's Pepi, Scally, Busio, Reynolds and Tessman in a nutshell. Lately, it's seemed to be a much better choice than skipping MLS.

RossD, TxEx and Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I also think that a fleshed out reserve league system has added a lot of value. A young player 10 years ago didn't know what the pathway looked like from the academy to the first team. Pepi, Adams, Busio, etc. were on USL deals first before they were on MLS deals.

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the MLS Superdraft just occurred, it still amazes me that we don’t have a more formal u23 league to surpass college soccer. Perhaps, run the season in the college offseason but we don’t need our 18-22 aged players to be idle for over half the year. I would suggest that each MLS club teams up with a nearby state university with a soccer program and allow players to have the benefit of tuition assistance and play club ball. That, or just count on college soccer being the wide net that catches the types of players who did not have an opportunity to play at a professional academy in their youth.

el floppo repped this.
  6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #31 Clint Eastwood, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    MLS is starting that next year with MLS Next Pro.
    Over time that's going to serve as the direct link between the academy and the first team for that age group.

Interestingly 6 first round draft picks yesterday were actually academy players at other MLS clubs. Even as high as the #6 pick in the draft. FCD's pick Lucas Bartlett played in the SKC academy system.

So kids aren't actually wanted by the clubs they played academy soccer for, went to the NCAAs, and were subsequently developed to the point that they're valued by somebody else. That's good.

As far as this award goes............................we've never had an NCAA player win it. None of our top 5 in the voting this year went to the NCAAs. [Pepi, Richards, Scally, Busio, and Musah. Hoppe was probably 6th and he didn't either.] That's not the direction our soccer culture for these types of elite "breakout" talents is moving to.

It could have happened in recent years. Daryl Dike stated a case in his 2020 MLS season, but was nowhere close to Reyna in the end.

By the way, one NCAA season really is nothing. A player like Reggie Cannon finished his DA academy season, then attended the fall semester at UCLA, then signed a HG contract in the winter to play in the MLS season. So really, one NCAA season leads to virtually no downtime in terms of training or development. When Reggie signed with FCD after that UCLA season, he was still only 18. He's talked about how valuable that time at UCLA was for him. A player like Mark McKenzie of Philly did the same thing.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Cannon was before North Texas got started?

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes.

The USL League One in its first years was probably worse than the elite level of NCAA soccer anyway.

9. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the PDL still around or was it a casualty of Covid? Lots of college players played in the PDL in the Spring/Summer. RBNY and Portland even had U23 teams in the competition.

The NPSL also allows college players, and was what DCFC was in prior to going fully professional.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes, its now what's they call USL League 2.

The league cancelled its 2020 season, but played a 2021 season.

Chesco United repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my opinion, at least, I believe this u23 needs to be better organized. Mainly, I don’t have a problem with the fact that there are so many of these clubs but I would like to see a sort of a premier league for the best youths to play in.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That's what MLS Next Pro is designed to be.

In fact many think MLS clubs are going on this homegrown signing splurge of 16 year olds in order to stock their MLS Next Pro teams in 2022.

What's cool about MLS Next Pro is apparently they're setting up international competitions as well. They'll have a league and playoffs just like MLS. But they're rumored to be setting up a tournament with the Liga MX U20 league as well. That measuring stick for the kids will be really good.

I think we'll give it a few months for more signings to come thru in MLS, and then will make a list of all the potential breakouts. Some will be more likely than others, but there are a lot of names to keep an eye out for.

As I said, I'll take FCD and Philly academy alumni in 2022. You guys can have the rest of the world. Bwahahaha!! :)

13. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it holds as a magnifying glass and a lighting rod for clubs to start improving their youth academies.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Bumping this thread to keep it up to date on the latest youngster news

Cole Bassett loaned to Feyenoord
    Che loaned to Hoffenheim
    Paredes sold to Wolfsburg
    Bello sold to Arminia Bielefeld

Typically a good season at clubs of this level has been enough to vie for the title.

Patrick167 and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  15. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be in the minority here but it feels like the 10 cap limit isn't enough to differentiate who's arrived and who hasn't. I feel like if you've started a non-friendly, then you should no longer be eligible for this award.

That eliminates players like Busio, Dike, and Richards who've really already arrived but still allows for players like Tessman and Scally who are getting decent Big 5 minutes but nothing with the National Team.

deejay and Boomf181818 repped this.
  16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Paxten Aaronson. Clap Clap...................Clap, Clap, Clap.

Also, a huge start for young Inter Miami and USYNTer Noal Allen.

Lots of interesting happenings in NYRB-land as well. Edelman and Ngoma made their debuts. Caden Clark with an assist on a late goal. I thought John Tolkin played well.

el floppo and gogorath repped this.
  17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Really bad reports on KDLF

18. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not uncommon for a young player in his first year playing for the first team. But also maybe a reason he's not getting a ton of call ups to the USMNT quite yet.

19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch.... that’s more of a death nail than an ACL injury.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I really hope that Jonathan Gomez stakes a claim to this award. Already getting good reviews for his play in La Liga 2.

el floppo and deejay repped this.
  21. el floppo

el floppo Member

NY RB
    United States
    Dec 7, 2021
    NYC LES Evil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching SEA vs Leon in CCL last night, I'll throw out Obed Vargas. 16yo! and starting in a CCL match vs high level Mex opposition... and holding his own.

I've only watched one game, so am running blind- but I don't think he'll be ready this year to compete vs some of those other guys... but who knows?

22. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    More of a hang nail

23. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been a while since we've had activity in this thread. Who are the current front runners this year?

24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paxten, Alvarado, Paredes for me. I’d probably say Paxten. He feels like he’s made the splash his brother made two years ago.

25. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richards or Slonina for me