2022 Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ron36pc, Feb 27, 2022.

1. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2022 season is off to a quick start

Per the league's website, attendance at this week's opening rounds of games:

Sat:
    Philadelphia 17,487
    Columbus 18,939
    LAFC 22,010
    Dallas 12,233
    Austin 20,738
    DC 16,412
    Miami 15,973
    San Jose 16,146
    Portland 23,411

Sun:
    Orlando 21,283
    Atlanta 67,523
    LA Galaxy 25,174
    Houston 18,561
    Seattle 30,013

Average attendance for Wk 1: 23,279

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Rare sellout for the Galaxy this year. I think last year we had... 1? Also, did Portland fail to sell out, or was there extra capacity for MLS Cup only??

Sounders probably going to have games with <30k this season :-(

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From the supporters' end I think the Atlanta number is genuine. The venue wasn't full (a sell out being over 68k in that configuration), but it was quite packed. Still an issue with folks being late to their seats and there are always tons of people in the concourses at any moment, but late in the 2nd half I looked around and was guessing 65k. So compared to some of last year's numbers I'm confident with that mark.

Here's to hoping the league has a banner year in the stands as we come out of this mess.

bigredfutbol and RafaLarios repped this.
  4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming all venues had no attendance restrictions this weekend. Is this the first-time since the pandemic or did we have some late season weeks last year?

5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bridges above the supporters' section were packed the entire game, as was the little section of standing tables on the concourse behind my seats. It's so easy to watch the game from the concourses at the Benz. I noticed that the temporary seating was deployed in the upper endzone, but it didn't look like they sold any seats up there. The temporary seating along the sideline roof was still folded up. I wonder if the FO thought it might have been a game-day sellout and pulled out some extra seats just in case.

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Now that their fan base has dwindled, the sounders can start looking at building a 25k seat sss. It'll awkward sellout and they won't lose many fans.

7. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No team can afford losing fans. Not even a little. Also, why would you commit to a huge capital investment when you don't really need it?, It is not like the Sounders are playing with 10K in attendance.

sitruc, AZUL GALAXY and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The last full pre-pandemic season the Sounders averaged 40,247 in attendance. To suggest their fanbase is "dwindling" is ludicrous, at best. More likely is it's the same anti-factual doom and gloom trolling from the same source that always does that.

sitruc, JasonMa and VioletCrown repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It will pay for itself eventually. The grass field will bring national team games. Revenue from parking and concerts will stay with the team. And they will keep the atmosphere they currently enjoy. As their attendance falls into the low 20ks (inevitable) their NFL stadium will start to look more and more cavernous.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Guess what - the pandemic permanently changed our reality. They will never get back to pre-pandemic numbers. Never.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The Sounders are showing us what everyone who followed MLS since '96 already knew - the new car smell ALWAYS goes away. It takes longer in the new MLS, but it will still happen.

song219 repped this.
  12. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What?... what support do you have for such a comment?

Also Never is such a long time...

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Once attendance goes down (for any reason) it takes something drastic to build it back up... a rebrand or a new stadium at a minimum. So... they should get ready for that situation by starting to look for locations.

14. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...straight-season-to-lowest-average-since-1981/

Despite record TV deals, a bunch of teams clamoring to move up to the FBS level, and improving viewership for just about everyone, college football has lost attendance for 7 straight years and just hit its lowest average since 1981. Georgia saw a minor loss in attendance despite winning the national title.

While a few smaller schools, like SMU and Tulane, have intentionally downsized stadiums so they could fit them on campus, the trend everywhere else is still expansion and renovation. Nobody in their right mind is seriously considering smaller stadiums when there are so many other factors in play at the moment, especially Covid.

Seattle would be monumentally stupid to even spend a nanosecond looking at building a 25k stadium.

RafaLarios and harrylee773 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see we're back to completely unsupported and unrealistic predictions in this thread. MLS season must have started.

16. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle's numbers have gone up and down since their inception as an MLS side, but they steadily increased attendance for like seven years when they came into the league. The new car smell hasn't worn off. COVID just made it so they couldn't smell.

Season ticket holders dropped for everybody during COVID, and they'll be slow to come back (fear of crowds, loss of income, war in Ukraine making gas $4/gal., etc.). You may be the only person on the planet worried about Seattle's attendance averages. I suspect they may hover around whatever the capacity of the lower bowl is for a few years until they're able to restore the feeling of scarcity, though.

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You can get gas for just $4 somewhere???

18. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where is the sector behind the goal at Frisco Stadium?

19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About $3.30 in Columbus.

20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    $3.59 in Columbus.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Wow. Well over 5 here in l.a. I figure it gets to 10 as crisis continues.

22. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    If it gets to $10 per gallon, still the freeways will
    be packed

harrylee773 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except not so much:
    https://www.foxla.com/news/average-...-time-in-28-days-amid-russia-ukraine-conflict

As of last week it was running about $7.70 a gallon in the UK (yes, that's with converting the liter price in pounds to gallon price in dollars). Obviously before war actually broke out. But if they weren't at $10 a gallon yet its going to be a long time before we approach that, outside of price gouging.

sitruc, Minnman and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gas is $2.99-$3.05 for most locations in Lubbock. Costco is $3.03 here and I get 2% cash back from them and another 1.5% cash back on the card I use to pay for it.

Dallas is slightly cheaper than Lubbock and Houston appears to be even cheaper than that. Where I grew up in the DC suburbs is about $3.35-$3.45 right now.

The price of anything in LA isn't representative of the real world that 90% of the country deals with.

People will absolutely keep going to games with current gas prices. Parking, concessions, convenience, etc. may keep them away, but gas prices for the vast majority of the country are barely even in the equation right now.

sitruc, TrueCrew, Minnman and 1 other person repped this.
  25. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Washington state is lifting their indoor mask mandate (as are Oregon and California). Were there any restrictions on seating in Seattle? Maybe the more cautious about covid will be more inclined to attend later in the season.