2022-23 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it was the simple, low hanging fruit.

Blando13 repped this.
  2. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Speaking of low hanging fruit: There are two weeks remaining before we play our first game. Thje idea that SKC is confident going into the 2023 season with only 3 CBs, two of them with significant injury histories, is passing from speculation into simple fact territory. Even if we did what five other MLS clubs did earlier this week, sign a starting caliber CB, he will have missed the entirety of our preseason, and we know that matters, a lot, in PV world.
    Given our history with visa procurement, the perception of necessary rest coming off a European style schedule and who we are, even if Upamencano was signed today, he wouldn't be in camp until we're a couple games into the season, and it would be a another month before he was properly bedded in. I mean, Radoja arrives at the start of preseason at a club with no actual 6 and he still not ready. Leibold was signed a month ago, arrived fit from hamburg, and is now seen fit for 30 minutes.
    Even if a new signing is announced soon, we're riding with what we have right now through the first third of the season.
    If there's a CB injury (history tells us there will be), and we're moving Radoja back to a CB spot, and we're again operating without an actual 6 so throwing our stacked and loaded midfield into an unbalanced and a bit thin position and this tanks our season the way injuries tanked us in 2022, I'd suggest it would a wholly foreseeable issue we'd be dealing with.
    At that point, for the first time, I'll be firmly in the Vermes out camp.
    But maybe Rindov is the find of the century?

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Every time someone mentions Radoja at CB, I die a little inside.

mschofield repped this.
  4. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just have to score more goals than we give up ... pretty simple really.

mschofield repped this.
  5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Sperry posted this on Twitter today as his best guess on the opening day starting lineup. Also provides good insight to team depth. Kinda not available yet. Espinoza somehow not even in the two deep midfield? He lists Ndembe as third choice LB.

Team strength - midfield. Team weakness - obvious (CB, duh). Solution, double pivot "bucket" four man midfield. Odds of that happening < 0%.

upload_2023-2-9_11-33-36.png

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is it possible that Logan N is seen as midfield depth as well?
    Also, that's a lot of slow on the backline, in front of a still learning keeper

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Midfield, no. Wing, maybe. Honestly I could see him 2nd on the depth chart when Leibold is up to speed and Sweat being the 4th CB.

Blando13 and mschofield repped this.
  9. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was more puzzled by Espinoza than Ndenbe. To me, he's the first choice backup at either of the 8 positions SKC typically field.

My guess is Pulskamp will get a lot of 1v1 shot stopping practice this season.

mschofield repped this.
  10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure we lose much defensively if Sweat moves to take over for an injured/resting Fontas. I mean, yeah, Sweat focuses more on the attack, but so does Fontas, and Sweat is at least fast enough to recover when folks zip by him. Set pieces might be an issue.

11. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way Duke plays before Espinoza early in the season. Ideally he grows into that role, but I don't see it. Kinda takes Duke's spot on the 2 deep when he's healthy and limited in minutes. I think it's a good thing if Hernandez makes Espinoza "surplus" ... I thought he was heading there last year anyways, but likely just needs more time, but eventually, that needs to happen.

mschofield repped this.
  12. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still hoping to see Shelton sneak in at RCB just to test those waters. Only reason a 3 year deal for him makes sense.

mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We should point out that Roger is just about collecting social security. Let him rest! Actually, I can't imagine him starting a single game this year, unless we have an injury crisis. He can come on in the last 20 minutes and do some Roger thing in closing out a game, maybe, but it's asking a lot to play the 8 for even 60, as he did last year.
    So, if Radoja or Walter are injured, but Kinda is healthy, will we be slipping Kinda into the 10 and Thommy to the 8, with either Radoja or Walter (whoever is not injured) at the 6? I love thommy at the 10, but he's played more left and right midfield than 10.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're kidding yourself if you can't imagine Espinoza starting a single game this year.

15. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I need this so bad for the memes if nothing else.

Blando13 repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We know he can’t go 90, so it’s odd to start him with the intent to burn a sub not for tactical or injury reasons, but because he can’t go longer than 45 any more. When we have experienced options options, healthy thommy, Walter, kinda and Radoja and three young options who Need playing time, starting him is a bit odd. Still you’re probably right

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I set the over/under of 90 minute games for Espinoza this year at 10.5 do you take the over or under? Because I'm 100% taking the over there.

kcscsupporter repped this.
  18. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under

mschofield repped this.
  19. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I wonder if Roger could convert to CB and if that would extend his ability to go the full time.

20. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Under. I would point out that last season when he was (checks math) younger than he is now, he played the full 90 4 times, five if you include US Open games (120 v Sac). After his last full 90, v Montreal on July 10 (admittedly, he was great), he only got more than 70 minutes twice.
    While roger remains one of my favorite KC players in my, what is it now, 26 years of following MLS (STH '96), what he does well requres more energy than his aging body can deliver.
    If it's the over, I'd add that we should expect to finish below 10th.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    FYI, looks kind of but not not like Ferro is not a CB answer for SKC. Might never really have been. He's reportedly leaving Vitesse before Feb. 15, being sold on a permanent basis to Hadjuk Split. the Croatian window is open until feb. 15, probably because Croats love love and think that transfers make great Valentines Day gifts.
    FWIW, transfermarkt rates the chances of this happening at 0 percent, which is not very high. Arguing against the idea is the fact that Ferro at this moment earns just about $900,000 a year on his contract with Benfica, and only two players in the Croatian top league make that sort of cash. If he is moving, he is moving a free, and it would be shocking if his salary was more than $350,000 as the highest paid center back in the league makes just a smidge more than that.

22. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Seeing that San Jose just signed Jonathan Mensah from Columbus. I know he wouldn't make a youthful reload for us but god damn why didn't we snag him?

I've been absolutely sure that a CB signing of some sort is still coming. I don't think I'm less sure about that these days... But I am concerned what quality of player we will get and if he'll arrive in time to help how we need.

I'm mostly just mad that @lukeD is looking right and that Vermes likes Fontas and Ford as his starters.

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #373 mschofield, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    And, apparently, Voloder as a backup for both.
    I agree. TBT made a point on this that really resonates with me: If we'd taken care of center backs, by bringing a starting quality one in, we could be looking at a really fun season. without one, as Blando pointed out, we will just have to score more than our opponents...

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) San Jose is kind of desperate after they lost one of their starters, Nathan, for the season to an ACL tear.
    2) The reports are they're covering all of his salary, his base last year was $1m.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States