2022-23 Roster Movement Thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by vividox, Oct 11, 2022.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I find it fascinating that 3.5 years ago, he not only would have been DP level in MLS, he never would have dreamed of an MLS move, while now it may be his best option. he played quite a bit for Benfica, before his career collapsed. I mean, Liverpool was considering $100 million? That's insane.
    Something got lost, and in a major way, but Ferro could be a hell of an exciting reclamation project

2. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A summary of top 3 CBs by year.

2016 Besler/Opara/Coelho
    2017 Besler/Opara/EPB
    2018 Besler/Opara/Fontas
    2019 Besler/Fontas/Barath
    2020 Fontas/Barath/Puncec
    2021 Fontas/Puncec/Isi
    2022 Fontas/Isi/Ford
    2023 Fontas/Ford/Voloder

Anyone see a pattern, post Bes/Opara? 1) almost all Euros. Ford the only exception. 2) Fontas has been our "best" CB for the full duration of the teams defensive downturn. 3) the third CB is here for 2 years. Starts as 3rd, then is 2nd, then is out (Barath, Puncec, Isi).

The fourth CB during the 2016/17 years was Ellis. Smith a few seasons after that. Not great players, but not terrible. Certainly better than going into 2023 with no 4th CB.

Every year gets worse. 2023 is worst.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can honestly take 2020 out of it given the craziness of that year as a whole, but Fontas wasn't in the top 3 in 2020, he played just 3 times.

Puncec was arguably the 1 that year. with Besler and Reid being 2 and 3 in some order though Smith and Fontas weren't far behind.

mschofield repped this.
  4. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did that mostly from memory and forgot the exact Fontas injury timing. I didn't remember Reid. I thought you meant Rad and had to google to remember when he played.

Anyway, all your points are valid and fair but I don't think they change the conclusion. Five seasons since the Besler/Opara pairing, which was one of the best in MLS. Since that time, PV hasn't been able to get this position group right and it just keeps getting worse. Mostly because of Fontas, but also the scouting has to be blamed when you have three potential starting CBs come in from Europe who only last for two seasons.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, wasn't arguing your point, I agree whole-heartedly that CB has been disappointment to disaster level since trading Opara. But you've been around long enough you know I like making sure things are correct. :)

In fact your comments made me think of this piece I did almost 2 years ago about KC's CB partnerships.

https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...gs-center-back-situation-sporting-kansas-city

6. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, good stuff from you as always. Different topic, bummer about the Blue Testament and all the other MLS blogs. You SKC contributors went above and beyond to keep us informed. Much appreciated.

kcfooty repped this.
  7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So it looks like SKC2 is preparing to play the classic 4-2-4 setup. Actually, I wonder if this means we should expect to see Davis or Ozzie on loan for the full season and the other spending as much time there as is allowed. I mean, they need at least 4 more mids, I'd think.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hoping we see a few more minutes for Cisneros with the senior team this year.

I also hope he strikes up a really meaningful friendship with the new, high-profile, high-dollar center back signing who will surely be coming any day now to take command of our back line!

IASocFan and mschofield repped this.
  11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am rooting for that friendship!
    As for playing more for the senior side, he looks to be at best, an 8th choice mid and maybe a 7th choice forward line player. I'm not sure that means much playing time, but I'd love to see more of him.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm hoping it's a really quick friendship.
    I had been thinking, at least we aren't heading into February with a roster that is clearly inadequate.
    well, why not. I am now looking forward, esp after one or two of our CBs is inevitably injured, to a lot of 7-6 games

14. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We're hardly the only team that's still building its first XI. And I'll still say that, while there are definite weaknesses in the squad, I think we only have one "hole" that needs patched at this time.

mschofield repped this.
  15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I agree. that's why I say we put 7 past some people. I think up top and in the midfield, we're kind of loaded.
    But our one "hole" is a pretty big deal, esp with an injury or two. I am still in the "In PV we trust" club. But he is testing us on this one.

16. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm wondering if this is a case where plan A, B, and C fell through and we're scrambling or we have something in the works but we can't get it done yet for some reason or another.

mschofield repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As we've been noting, Ferro is available and does fit the profile of the folks we tend to like. Maybe they're waiting to see if it happens within the next six hours in Europe, and if not he's on a free to SKC?

18. Blando13

Blando13 Member+

Dec 4, 2013
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why Curtez Kellman, Esai Easley and Cole McLagan aren't on the SportingKC2 website roster? I thought they were all signed/retained from last year? They're on the wiki page (not that that's always up to date). Just curious.

Reason I looked was because I think that with the recent signings, I think SportingKC 2 could be a bit more competitive this year, but hard to say, no clue if we even "want" it competitive (competitive doesn't equal developing players for 1st team).

19. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SKC does not have two staring quality CBs on the roster. They don't have one above MLS average CB on the roster. They only have three CBs total. The starting RB turns 37 this year and was never really good at defending. The No. 6 is new to the team. Two of three DPs are returning from season ending knee surgery.

"One" hole is only through indigo blue colored glasses.

20. lukeD

lukeD Member+

Jul 7, 2011
    Olathe
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add "starting keeper unknown" to list above.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The roster is obviously not set.
    In case others haven't looked:
    Sporting KC II Roster (as of Jan. 25, 2023)

Goalkeepers (1): Ethan Bandre
    Defenders (7): Mo Abualnadi, Aljaz Dzankic, Coby Jones, Mikey Lenis, Nassim Mekideche, Jahon Rad, Diedie Traore
    Midfielders (2): Ethan Bryant, Enzo Mauriz
    Forwards (5): Bakary Bagayoko, Josh Coan, Andrew Draper, Amadou Traore, Pau Vidal

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McLagan's option was declined, the club was in talks with Kellman and Easley.

https://www.sportingkc.com/news/sporting-kc-announces-roster-moves-ahead-of-2023-mls-season

Blando13 repped this.
  23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, he "outperformed" Fontas on the first team (for as poor as the 1st team was, SKCII's defense was worse).

IASocFan and mschofield repped this.
  25. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Haha, when I say "hole," I mean in the sense of a sucking chest wound. The team has additional weak points or positions of real concern, but there's only one spot on the roster I'm absolutely certain KC does not have the necessary personnel to make it through the season.

I'm certainly not your level of Eeyore, but I'm incredibly concerned. I don't think there's anyone who seriously follows the team that is happy with the state of our backline.