Rumor: 2022-23 Offseason MLS Season Transfer News and Rumours

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by jaykoz3, Oct 23, 2022.

1. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Now you just acting like you know better than those who do this for a living.

I know some of you guys will keep on insisting "big market" but it comes down to who pays more. Ronaldo had no problem going to Saudi Arabia for money, he will have no problem going to any MLS team that pays him more money.

2. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He has no problem going to Saudi Arabia for money but you make it seem he would have a problem going to Kansas for money.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm saying your claim that he would got to a small-market for money is proven by KC being in the running for a player they didn't sign is senseless, since he literally didn't go to a small market.

Beerking, sitruc, HailtotheKing and 3 others repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the thing:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-es...aldo-can-expect-in-saudi-arabia-with-al-nassr

Al-Nassr and the Ministry of Investment is going to pay him $75M / per year, in addition to the cars and luxury housing, and lower tax rate.....

https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...ting-kansas-city-kc-saudi-arabia-heinaman-mls

The key aspect of the "closeness" of the signing is the combined wages/commercial package. It was a Beckham style proposal. IOW it was based on the league sponsors paying him a large portion of the money along with the potential Ronaldo could make with endorsement deals in the States.

IMO, I doubt SKC's ownership would have paid Ronaldo more then Toronto is paying Insigne per season. I seriously doubt that they were going to pay him $75M per....

The Saudi deal was on the table for two months..........it's guaranteed.....

This just doesn't pass the smell test. I get it, the multiple reporters have confirmed the story. Great, have we heard from Ronaldo's camp and their side of things? Also, wasn't Messi close to signing? Wasn't that reported back in July??? We literally heard about this AFTER Ronaldo had signed with the Saudi team. You mean to tell me that the people who get paid to report on this stuff didn't hear bupkis about MLS teams negotiating with Ronaldo's people BEFORE he signed with Al Nassr???

When you are buying a car and dealer A gives you a deal, and you've sat on it for 2 months. During that time, you've visited multiple other dealers, multiple times trying to negotiate a better deal. In the end you were very close to signing the deal from Dealer C, but it just wasn't meeting the deal that Dealer A presented 2 months prior so you go with Dealer A. IOW, unless Dealer C beat Dealer A's deal you weren't buying from them.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  5. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    How Sporting KC tried to sign striker Cristiano Ronaldo | The Kansas City Star

Think there is enough here that we can say they were making a serious run at him. Just because we didn't hear anything doesn't mean that a deal wasn't being discussed. I mean, we barely heard anything about the Bale deal until it was almost done. Bogert broke that news on June 25th and he was officially announced on the 27th. Dempsey negotiated and signed the Sounders deal and no one would have known anything except for that someone saw him on a Seattle bound plane in LA (if my memory hasn't completely failed me).

As for close only counting in horseshoes and hand grenades? The article actually addresses something I was wondering. If this push could lead to a different player down the line. Ronaldo may have been a long shot but they got their name out there with the player agency that represents him. If they left a good enough of an impression that could lead them to recommend Kansas City to one of their clients when they otherwise wouldn't have. Someone like, let's say, Angel Di Maria. His contract is up this year and would be someone that you wouldn't think would go to a place like Kansas City (they also represent Marco Asensio but a 27 year old Spanish international is a bridge to far for any MLS team right now).

6. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If I have to explain to you that a player like Ronaldo will go anywhere he gets the best offer and you still don't understand that then I can't really help you. He went to Saudi Arabia of all places for money.

7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You still doubting the reports coming out? Ronaldo can come out and explain it and you still won't believe it. I kind of understand why. Many of you guys are under this impression that only LA and Miami are the best places to retire in MLS for these aging stars. It all comes down to money. You show these players the money and they'll play 2 or 3 years anywhere in any league; China, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, MLS etc.

Luis Suarez was wanted by LA Galaxy (before Vanney took over) and offered him an unknown salary to us. Gremio and Cruz Azul were also in the mix. Reports came out that out of the 3 teams Cruz Azul had the best money offer. He ended up in Brazil because they matched the best offer and offered a longer contract. Players like this are looking for a RETIREMENT check. They won't say "I'll only go to LA or Miami for less money just because it's LA or Miami". There are a few exceptions to the rule but the majority are looking for their last best pay day. And I can't really blame them. Anyone in their position would do the same.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #158 jaykoz3, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    It's a nice article. It was a Beckham Style Deal. Interesting how the Apple TV Deal was mentioned. Also interesting that the piece doesn;'t mention SKC actually talking to Ronaldo himself. Now that could be out of respect for the player, they may have had a call or calls with him.

Also, possibly reading too much into a line from the piece, it sounds like he made his decision while in Qatar. Likely had some face to face meetings with Al Nassr brass.

We'll never really know how close SKC were to actually getting this deal over the line. Going forward it'll be interesting to see how this pursuit impacts their pursuit of other players. How the Apple TV deal is used in these pursuits will be something to watch as well.

As for the signing of Dempsey, that was a different time. The coverage of the league was much less than it is today. Admittedly it's not all that much better these days either. Which in all honesty could be why information isn't leaking out as much as it did in past years. The league has grown so quickly, that the amount of coverage hasn't increased proportionally. Also, a lot of the former sources may no longer work in the league, same with those who reported on the game. There's simply too much ground to cover for the handful of people who report on MLS. Most of whom cover other sports/news as their main gig.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I’m other words you have nothing to back up the claim you made. Got it.

(And if you think playing, and more on point living, in Saudi Arabia is going to be anything like KC well, I can’t really help you)

Beerking and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s interesting that nothing I’ve read (and, admittedly, I’ve not read that many articles about it) postulates the obvious theory that one reason why Ronaldo’s agents spent so much time talking with KC is that they wanted to use a lucrative offer from MLS to maximize the deal they were being offered in Saudi Arabia.

Beerking, TheJoeGreene, sitruc and 5 others repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What is considered a legitimate offer for the purposes of staying in good standing with the league with discovery? Do they just have to say they made a good faith offer to the alleged rapist now that the cases are closed?

12. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Today was the day of center back news. Bogert reporting that both the LA teams are jumping on signing free agent center backs. Chris Mavinga going to the Gals with Aaron Long going to LAFC. Also, reports are that NYCFC and Alexander Callens couldn't come to terms so he is entertaining options in MLS and Liga MX. Outside of the free agent market, Fabrizio Romano saying that Austin have completed the signing of Finish international Leo Vaisanen from Elfsborg in Sweden. He is also saying that Alan Franco's move from Atlanta is complete with him moving to Sao Paolo in Brazil.

And just for fun, there are a few non-CB related moves that caught my eye. Latif Blessing was traded from LAFC to New England (he requested a trade). Twellman is saying that Olivier Giroud has turned down Milan's latest offer and is talking to a few MLS teams, while another rumor is that some MLS teams are making a run at South Korean international Cho Gue-sung.

13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy, Chesco United and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I'm not even posting all the official moves today. All those CB moves in my previous post happened plus a few others.

Rumor-wise: NYRB supposedly in for Dante Vanzeir (currently 4th in the Belgian League in scoring). RSL offering 4 million for Carlos Gomez (20 y/o Colombian with Milionarios). And Miami talking to Atlanta about a possible trade for Josef.

rslfanboy repped this.
  15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  18. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United are expected to finalize the signing of new DP midfielder Mateusz Klich on a free from Leeds United tomorrow. They'll be buying down Victor Palsson from DP status in the process.

19. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    More pundits echoing that Josef and Atlanta are close to releasing him from his contract. Likely to sign with Inter Miami if they can get him at leas-than DP wages. Meanwhile, Atlanta would be free to sign a new DP who can actually run for a full 90 mins.

Beerking repped this.
  22. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per the Dispatch, Columbus have signed homegrown defender Keegan Hughes, a four year starter at Stanford.

23. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Rumors about Luciano Acosta departing Cincy. Current destination is supposedly Partizan for 4.5 million euros. He is in the last year of his contract so if this offer is true then I could see them taking that. Around 2 million in profit for a player that is going to be able to leave on a free at the end of the year is a pretty good deal.

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently that MLS club is Minnesota United?

Which means he'll go to Celtic or Mainz.

25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States