2022-23 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Collegewhispers, May 18, 2022.

1. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Not shocked on this one. I am thinking there was some writing on the wall on this one as Coach Rainey was looking at other jobs last off season.

2. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Socr4evaH repped this.
  3. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good for them. Not something you see in much today in college athletics. I'm assuming they looked in to the matter to cover their own butts, and from the letter posted on social media he had support of plenty of former student athletes from Iowa State and BG.

We live in a world where kids complain anytime they do not get their own way and know what buzz words to use. It is unfortunate, because when there is a real issue it makes it harder to see if you are an AD that deals with this from every sport.

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

There is no way they would have done this if there were anything to really backup the abuse claims so I would assume this is a few whiny athletes trying to ruin a career. There will be more this year, coming soon to a campus near you.

Fitballer repped this.
  5. IHearThings

IHearThings Member

Fulham
    United States
    Nov 8, 2021
    Nevada open:

6. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    She coached there before that as their interim and then assistant before that doing even worse. I wonder if they figured that into her final record overall record before they gave her a promotion to head coach after not doing well as their interim or head recruiting coach. But oh well. Would be so comical if they for the third or fourth head coach hire in a row promote their assistant coaches as head coach. That formula seems to be working really well for them.

Moving on, one of the admin leave coaches say they are fine and are coming back to coach next year. I'm expecting two more head coaching layoffs in next two weeks to be announced, on top of several more. But two I've heard are getting walking papers soon.

7. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    come on footyballs give us the gossip (or the tea as the kids say) the forum has been so boring lately.

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Yes, always funny when folks come on here and say, "I know something you don't"
    Well guess what? - Some more D1 women's soccer coaches are getting let go this week! That's a shocker I know. I'm just not telling you which one's exactly...

I also predict that the transfer portal is about to light up and signing day is Wednesday so along with the start of the tournament, it's going to be quite a week!

9. justdoit

justdoit Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is the worst time of year. Some very good people are being let go. Kids and parents go in and complain and admins fold. These coaches have families to support and being let go over upset parents and players doesn’t sound fair. Schools should have coaches fill out confidential questionnaires about the AD’s and give to the President of each school and see how they like it. Seniors going out crush the coach and kids complain about playing time and make stuff up using buzz words (toxic environment and mental health).
    I wish the coaches the best of luck and I hope they are land on their feet and the new coaches that come in see through the TOXIC players that sandbagged the coaches.

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I understand the empathy but...

it's a tough business. It can be very rewarding and fun but tough sometimes. If you want job security and less stress, try a different profession. Work for twitter or something... (too soon?)

Totally my opinion, but blaming "toxic" players seems lazy to me. Alot of coaches know exactly what they are getting into and the risks they are taking. With the job generally and with the players they recruit, or over-recruit.

It's also kinda crazy to be in a profession that is basically a coin toss. Every day of the season, only around half the teams win in any league or conference. Well actually only about 40% now with all the ties. Imagine the turnover if your Doctor or banker or mechanic was only 40% successful.

First Time Finish repped this.
  11. Justafan17

Justafan17 New Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Feb 11, 2021
    Coaching changes are difficult not only for the coaches and their families, but can also be devastating for current players and recruits who will sign on Wednesday. The recruiting process is tough enough for players (particularly during a global pandemic where there were fewer opportunities to be seen and fewer spots available due to the COVID year allowances) but to find the right fit and have the coach with whom you’ve bonded sacked right before or just after you arrive on campus. It’s tough.

12. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    The term "bonding" between player and coach is a farce. Especially during the recruiting process.

13. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Agree. Maybe "farce" is a bit much though.
    Books written about this. Players seek praise and adulation. So do the parents via their athletic child. It is like a drug but there are plenty of coaches dealing it out. These players have bounced around from HS and club coaches, maybe a NT camp or private trainer or strength coach.

It does stink when the coach you like goes away but the player feels bad often because they liked the player so much. So, you go earn that praise and acceptance from the new coach. For mature athletes who have good habits, it's not a problem.

There is a reason that coach is moving on. At this stage in the year, those reasons are mostly negative so the player is likely to get a new energized coach with lots to prove. There are always risks but that can be a good thing.

Example - folks who thought the D2 guy going to Michigan State wasn't ready for the Big10 are eating some crow. (I was kinda one of them!). First NCAA bid since 2009 and first time with a seed and hosting on their campus. Admittedly it can be hard to find that special program out there but there are plenty out there.

14. Youth Soccer7

Youth Soccer7 Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Sep 13, 2022
    There are many coaches who are good guys to take a drink with but not very good at coaching at the college level. You would probably tend to see more consistency at the club coaching level even where parents have more leverage.

These folks decided to become college coaches knowing the pluses and minuses. It's like wanting to be a police officer but scared of people - it's just not the job for those few.

15. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Moving on, one of the admin leave coaches say they are fine and are coming back to coach next year. I'm expecting two more head coaching layoffs in next two weeks to be announced, on top of several more. But two I've heard are getting walking papers soon.[/QUOTE]

My guess is Craig Roberts is being allowed back and Kylie Lowu gets canned.

Footyballs repped this.
  16. ilikecollegesoccer

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jul 1, 2022
    Crazy day on the portal. Going to be a hectic week here with ECNL, Signing Day, National Tournament, and kids jumping on the portal.

17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    UMBC (10/17)
    Delaware (10/24)
    Jacksonville State (10/24)
    Richmond (10/27)
    Toledo (10/28)
    Coastal Carolina (10/28)
    Troy (10/31)
    Abilene Christian (10/31)
    UTEP (11/1)
    St. Bonaventure (11/1)
    Dartmouth (11/6)
    Nevada (11/7)
    Chicago State (7/1 - interim)
    UIW (8/1 - interim)
    South Carolina State (9/24 - interim)

FILLED:
    TBD

Questions:
    Northern Arizona (10/7 - admin leave)
    Southern Illinois (10/18 - admin leave)

18. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    ULM admin leave/ let go or no? Heard rumors weeks ago coach wasn't there. Have not heard confirmation since from anyone. Anyone got the gossip

19. RVAKICKER

RVAKICKER New Member

Man United
    United States
    Oct 3, 2019
    I hear he potentially maybe making a return to Longwood as the assistant?

20. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    No it's not. The humidity is way down.

21. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Longwood has only one fulltime assistant. Is there any indication the longtime assistant is leaving?

22. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    What program is going to be the first to celebrate signing day and then axe their coach and how many days will it be, surely it won’t be today, will it?

23. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Belmont is open

24. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Add Louisiana Monroe to the open list, Sean Fraser was fired yesterday.

25. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OPEN:
    UMBC (10/17)
    Delaware (10/24)
    Jacksonville State (10/24)
    Richmond (10/27)
    Toledo (10/28)
    Coastal Carolina (10/28)
    Troy (10/31)
    Abilene Christian (10/31)
    UTEP (11/1)
    St. Bonaventure (11/1)
    Dartmouth (11/6)
    Nevada (11/7)
    Belmont (11/11)
    Chicago State (7/1 - interim)
    UIW (8/1 - interim)
    South Carolina State (9/24 - interim)

FILLED:
    TBD

Questions:
    Northern Arizona (10/7 - admin leave)
    Southern Illinois (10/18 - admin leave)

Just to reiterate, this is only updated with official word or announcements (such as news/media). There happens to be a lot of nonsense spewed and just don’t have time to deal with that.

WACySOCCERWORLD and Fitballer repped this.