2022-23 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Collegewhispers, May 18, 2022.

1. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think we are close enough to the fall season to let the speculation begin. Who we got on the hot seat? So far I would think:

Oklahoma- surely must be on fire based on all the allegations and transfers
    Akron- I thought the trigger would have been pulled by now though
    Colorado state- investigations into the head coach put some heat on the seat

Centermid5 and 2233soccer repped this.
  2. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I would think Miami has to be hot. Also staying in the ACC i would think Boston College seat has to be getting a little warm

3. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You honestly believe that BC is getting warm even though Jason Lowe has only been there for 3 complete seasons with one of those being a weird covid year?

4. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    Previous three years under AF:
    13-15-2 in the ACC.
    35-21-3 overall

First 3 years under new coach:
    3-24-1 in the ACC
    18-28-4 overall

5. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I don’t think he will get fired after this year but i do believe that seats getting warmer. If he has another season in the ACC like his previous 3 then i would think it would be really hot going into 2023. I would imagine 2023 would be the final year of his contract.

6. Red Stars

Red Stars Member

PSG
    Serbia
    May 19, 2022
    Miami has to be the hottest due to timing and going into year 5 and would think Barnes needs to show something this year. Overall record of 16-41-6. ACC record of 6-30-2 and some ghastly blowouts. Not an improvement since the MF Monroe disaster. Anagnost at least showed what that program could be capable of (with perhaps questionable methods). Barnes may be regretting leaving the mid major profile as she did well at GW.

As for Boston College, Lowe is going into year 4. Lowe took over a legit program that routinely made deep NCAA runs and was 14-5-1 the year prior to arrival. Speaker has the records correct, since Lowe took over BC has gone 18-28-4 and just 3-24-1 in the ACC. Doesn't help that he is on a year-to-year contract and that the prior coach openly is trying to sabotage the program with a frivolous gender discrimination lawsuit against the school. Would think he has to show some sign of progress this year. One thing that may help him is the AD that hired him left for UCLA, and now the AD that took over is in the process of leaving to go to Penn State. Current interim AD Capparo has been at BC in another capacity since Lowe arrived but if they hire someone from the outside that person could (or could not) give him some time. Lowe just let go of one of his assistant coaches so he is probably under pressure to show he needs to make some changes. Could be let go this fall if they underperform again as it is a one-year contract. Which in itself is crazy, a good number of coaches passed on that job when they heard of the 1-year duration and don't know of any Power 5 school where that kind of contract is offered.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    One year contract at the power five level never a sign of good faith and if assistants are being canned to change the program maybe there is significant pressure. Miller did it at Pitt prior to his dismissal to save his own skin for a season but the results never improved.

8. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Yeah but he wasn't handed a massive rebuilding job of a bad program like Waldrum or Santoro were. He took over a solid mid-tier ACC team. I grant you covid complicates everything, so the seat is maybe not hot right now; but surely he'll have to show a lot better results the next couple of seasons.

9. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Youngstown state could be another on the hot seat this fall. This is not an easy job by any means but they have fired coaches in the past for not being a success so I would have to think with their record over past seasons they might be feeling some heat.

10. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I think I would add:
    AZ State
    Hawaii
    Nevada
    College of Charleston
    Rhode Island
    K-State
    MTSU

11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You would think Kansas State are really going to need to start showing some major progress at this point. Maybe the admins don’t care.

College of Charleston- what are the competitive challenges they gave that limit their progress? Seems like recruiting to that area would be highly desirable.

12. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    CofC has been below avg all but 1 year in the CAA recently I think and the coach has been there 12 years . Why would someone put that school up? Unless you know there's a new AD, some new emphasis on WS, or you know the contract status? Was there some "tell" like firing the Asst Coaches?

Those are big factors other than just on-field performance. I mean somewhere around 50% of schools in every conference have losing records right? So you can't just put teams on this list that have a few years below .500. That's a start of course, but it's very hard to tell how much women's soccer matters at some schools.
    Are we going to put Pitt on this list? I don't think so.

13. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    Hot list:

- Illinois possibly
    - Miami should be
    - Portland State should be
    - IUPUI should be
    - UTEP possibly
    - North Dakota State should be
    - College of Charleston should be
    - Maine possibly
    - Hawaii should be
    - Akron should be

14. IHearThings

IHearThings Member

Fulham
    United States
    Nov 8, 2021
    Oklahoma coach getting lit up on Twitter

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Seems like the soccer police have a personal vendetta against him. 6 more months and he will most likely be out of there.

16. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Any info on why Maine might be hot or just record? UTEP- there have been rumblings of issues between staff and coaches there since the end of the fall but nothing as bad as a lot of things mentioned regarding coaches of other programs on this forum. North Dakota State? I would think just being able to run a soccer program in that state would be a success I would imagine it is one of the hardest recruiting jobs in the country. IUPUI is in a soccer hot bed so I could see them wanting success if they are well supported. I don’t know how good the funding is compared to other programs in the Horizon though.

17. Red Stars

Red Stars Member

PSG
    Serbia
    May 19, 2022
    Could be easy to assume why a program like Maine could be on the hot seat, if given no context. Maine has not made their conference postseason since 2016 so one could assume the coach isn't doing a good enough job.

Fact is, Maine is performing exactly to expectations. Hartford did a feasibility study last year to justify their move from D1 to D3. The study is pretty shoddy in terms of how it is presented to fulfill a want of the Hartford president and what its currently happening there has given a lot of other programs pause to rethink that move if it was given consideration, given how badly things have gone down at Hartford. But one thing the study did give was budget numbers of everyone in the conference Maine competes in, the America East, as well as like conferences of the NEC and the MAAC. Can be found at https://www.hartford.edu/about/camp...les/Hartford-Feasibility-Study_CarrSports.pdf on page 26. Maine is the 3rd lowest funded program in the conference, so they are basically competing at a standard to be expected. 6 teams out of 10 made the postseason, Maine is funded at 8th. Poor support and funding, plus no other D1 programs want to travel there due to geography and no local club environment to recruit from. Vermont or UNH should win this conference every year (Vermont finally did last year). Stony Brook and Hartford leaving the America East will help Maine, but Bryant comes in and is also better funded than Maine.

Have to give this all context when people put stuff up here. Page 41 on this study shows the MAAC. Fairfield and Quinnipiac should run away with this conference, especially with Monmouth leaving. If neither of them finish in the top 2 then those programs are underperforming. Canisius, Niagara, Iona, and Rider have half the support of Fairfield and Quinnipiac, St. Peter's only 1/3 of the top funded. Such a crazy difference in support and funding. Page 45 shows the NEC and Fairleigh Dickinson, Central CT State, and St. Francis should take care of others in that league (CCSU consistently does).

For people that throw out names for this Hot Seat please give it context when you can. Not surprising that schools that care and fund their programs well typically win, and those that don't, don't. The coach may not necessarily be the reason why. Wish we could see more numbers like was provided by this study for these 3 conferences as then it would be easier to understand what truly could be expected.

18. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Red Stars great post and everything you put is very helpful and informative. Definitely telling why Maine are in the position they are basically as they should be. What you will see on here though is some posters won’t see figures and background information as good reasoning. By this I mean some people justify the head coaching hires made by schools like USC, UCLA, and Arizona with fairytales so be prepared for your stone cold facts to be dismissed by some!

19. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like 37 players could have a reason for personal vendetta - I know there is turn over when a new coach comes on board but 37 players? And many of those players are ones he recruited and brought in? Is that normal?

Soccermom21 and Centermid5 repped this.
  20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not at all normal and I would imagine a change will most likely take place after the fall season. But the soccer police twitter account seems extremely personally motivated towards the Oklahoma coach. This discussion board has a lot of fairly harsh conversations about coaches but it is a site that administrations won’t read. It can get somewhat vicious for sure. When these coaches are being attacked on twitter for the world (or at least the coach, admins etc when tagged) to see and you are actively trying to get them to lose their job and perhaps career my personal opinion is you put your name to it. Maybe the soccer police twitter isn’t a credible account and don’t actually know anything that is happening at Oklahoma, but if they are actively trying to get someone fired (which by a lot of the information on here he probably should be) then put your name forward and be an adult.

Centermid5 repped this.
  21. Centermid5

Centermid5 Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Feb 1, 2018
    What if soccer police is a current player who is riding it out hoping things get better, trying to survive, and this is the only way people listen? What if soccer police is a former player trying to save the mental health and lives of new girls coming in? What if soccer police is the OU women's soccer team?

22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Life lesson; if you are actively going after the livelihood of someone put your name to it. There has been enough said of this coach that clearly something is wrong at Oklahoma and I’m sure this coach is headed to the door. Going directly after a coach on twitter but not putting their name behind the accusations doesn’t lend much credibility and seems more like an axe to grind.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not get the difference between not putting your name on a Tweet and not putting your name on a post here.

24. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    There is a reason there is anonymous reporting and whistleblower protection. Fear of reprisal is a very big thing and a very real thing.

I get the frustrations on both sides of the argument though. It is a strange time in coaching and athletics.

On one side, you have the coaching profession filled mostly with people who want to do good and care about the welfare of their players. They Coach in a time when mental health and well-being is applied to everyone, but the Coach. Unfortunately, those good ones are screwed over by the idiots who are actually abusive and/or don’t realize that coaching is about adjustmenting to the time. If you want to coach like the 90’s, find a time machine.

On the other side, you have mostly wonderful young student-athletes who want to do well and do care. Especially post-pandemic, some of them are dealing with real mental health issues or have genuine gripes about the way they are being coached. Unfortunately, though, there are the garbage people on this side as well. The kid who can’t be bothered that day or has snow plow parents who never allowed their child to deal with any adversity in their lives and tries to solve all their problems. The second these kids are pushed, they and their parents cry mental health devaluing those with genuine issues. If they don’t play as much as they want, they can scream they were mistreated and many administrator take the easy route and accept the story without an ounce of thought.

It can be difficult to sort through all of this. It is a real quagmire and the answers don’t live in our current climate of absolutes.

Fitballer, mpr2477 and SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Simple- we are discussing all things on an online forum, that realistically admins and recruits don’t read and definitely are not ‘tagged.’

going after a coach on a social media platform you can ‘tag’ an AD, a local news media, current athletes, the state governor. You can attract a lot more attention than this forum. Being critical of a coach on this forum won’t have any bearing on their job in my opinion, but if you are on a platform that allows you to engage admins who can hire and fire a coach my opinion is that you should put your name to it at that point.