2022-23 CONCACAF Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jun 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Interesting VAR reversal of SFP red card in Haiti-US women’s game. High kick doesn’t hit head, but hits shoulder and stomach with studs. While I can certainly see an argument can be made for yellow, I really have trouble with the idea is was a clear error to give red. (Unless, perhaps, R said she gave red because of contact to the head, and that was clearly incorrect?)

dadman and kolabear repped this.
  2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel like saying the ref had a ton of courage giving a SFP red on a challenge like that in a women's game. It's one of those where most go yellow, but it's never a CO error to give a red.

RefIADad repped this.
  4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing that clear and obvious error got corrected.

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's most likely correct that the referee had the wrong point of contact, and in CONCACAF that just might be enough to recommend a review.

Worth noting that this is a PRO VAR. I don't think there's a chance this gets sent down in an MLS match.

kolabear and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously an unscientific sample of one, but I watched the play live and immediately thought SFP red in live action. Given it usually takes a lot for me to think something is a red in live action watching on TV, I have a really, really hard time thinking that is anything other than a send off.

dadman, Lloyd Heilbrunn, ShayG and 2 others repped this.
  7. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Christina Unkel as the Laws expert opined while the VAR review was underway that the red would stand. At half time, she reiterated her view that it was not a clear error. She noted that the bent leg was a consideration that supported yellow, but other considerations supported the original call of red card.

dadman and kolabear repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be totally fair to Unkel, I thought her analysis of that play is exactly what I want to see and hear from a rules/refereeing expert. She gave her opinion (she disagreed with both the caution and that VAR called for an OFR), but also gave very clear reasoning why the officiating team might have decided to overturn the call. She is generally very sharp and presents the full picture on plays like this, which I really appreciate.

Dayton Ref, dadman and Soccer Dad & Ref repped this.
  9. Howard Maxi

Howard Maxi Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Well done CONCACAF in correcting actual SFPs to downgrade them to YCs....

Also, based on the freeze frame, I'm not sure if the onside for the first USA goal was correct...

kolabear repped this.
  10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's happening thanks to VAR is issuing cards based on the exact point of contact, which of course is unrealistic on-the-field in real time.Simply making routine use of Slo-Mo changes & distorts the way the game is refereed.
    I've noticed here calls discussed in terms of whether the contact was "glancing" vs solid and straight-on, which simply invites what I call the Crash-Test Dummy Fallacy. Opposing players aren't Crash-Test Dummies but they're treated as if they are, as if they simply go into a crash to test to see how bad the damage is. If they react to a dangerous challenge by flinching or avoiding getting crunched and thereby allow the contact to be "glancing", well they just saved their opponent a red card.

The system has failure built into it so deeply it seems impossible to fix

ADD: even though I'm a US fan, I felt bad about the red card for Haiti as they were starting to get into the game and play well. But the on-field call by the referee (I don't know her name but I think she's from Canada) is, to my mind, how the game should be called.

11. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it fair to say that since the referee gave the VAR signal and then signaled offside that had the play been onside, we would have seen an OFR for the possible penalty for the US on Pugh? If the challenge wasn't deemed a clear and obvious error, am I correct in saying that we just would have had a "check complete" and not even worried about the offside?

12. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, you don't get to offside without first deciding to review for penalty.

13. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    i wasn’t criticizing her at all, just reporting. I agree with her.

14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just realized that I shouldn’t have started my comment like I did. Didn’t mean to imply you were critical, but it certainly makes it seem like I did. Apologies for that.

dadman and socal lurker repped this.
  15. SouthRef

SouthRef Member+

Arsenal
    Jun 10, 2006
    USA
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes I know that she wasn't hit in the head but yikes

Attached Files:

kolabear and dadman repped this.
  16. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's not even the initial point of contact based on the video.

kolabear repped this.
  17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    MEX:JAM
    Good use of var on the pk.
    It was at least on the line if not in the PA.
    Horrendous effort on the shot.

18. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Idk how much you can compare these two incidents, but if you skip to 4:35 on this clip, there is a similar sort of situation (there is a 'better' one from Ireland vs. Switzerland with Del Cerro, but I can't find a clip of it).

UEFA's verdict: a clear (not even dark) yellow card, red card a clear mistake.

Basically, I sense that this exactly the view of the powers-that-be. The whole point is that a load of tackles/challenges which were common back then now don't even happen anymore because of red cards which were given, even when there was no serious injury.

It is such an obvious thing to me. The whole point of DOGSO red cards is not the one-in-hundred time when Valverde rugby tackles Morata, it is the ninety-nine times out of hundred when he doesn't pull him down, because he knows that he is going to be sent off. If the punishment for such a foul was only yellow, then such offences would occur much more often.

The same about tackles/challenges. I watched every game from WCs 1986 and 1990 recently. Games were perhaps not as rough as one might expect, but lunging for the ball was quite normal. Actually, even up to WC 2002 in some cases. But, because of the zero tolerance about this from mid-noughties on, this 'play' was virtually eliminated from top football. And now it comes back...

It seems that everyone is ready to ignore this (IMO) quite obvious point, preferring to keep 11 vs. 11 at any cost. The 'tragedy' that this transfers over into women's football, where the game requires much more careful 'crafting' in terms of trying to 'guide' the way that players play the game, is really sad.

Thegreatwar, kolabear, SouthRef and 2 others repped this.
  19. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Chapeau.

Modern refereeing in one incident: https://streamff.com/v/7b2e73

Thegreatwar, kolabear, SouthRef and 2 others repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Live speed clip. This play shows how you can pretty much talk yourself into anything with a slow-motion replay.

kolabear repped this.
  21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tree falling in a forest and all that, probably worth acknowledging Fischer (and Wattam) worked the Final here. A Canadian officiating the U20 Final is a major achievement and would seem to bode well for him going forward, even if it wasn't the most marquee matchup.

dadman repped this.
  22. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    She finally made her debut in the Japanese second division today, in the match between Omiya Ardija and Tokyo Verdy.

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you so much for posting this. I remember when you or someone else posted this here at BigSoccer before. This and a couple other plays around the same time convinced me it's shambles. The game, refereeing, VAR — it's just shambles now.

And we just had another red card rescinded by VAR, this time at the Women's Euros on a tackle by Italy's Sara Gama on France's Grace Geyoro

24. Howard Maxi

Howard Maxi Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Maybe a weird question, but can somebody identify the two VARs from the U20 Championship match Jamaica vs Antigua & Barbuda? Lead VAR should be Koroleva.

Attached Files:

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Koroleva and Mariscal.

frankieboylampard and Howard Maxi repped this.