2022-2023 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have moved EPL related posts to the appropriate forum.

IASocFan repped this.
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #402 code1390, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    https://streamja.com/OGBjO

CL qualifying. Ball comes off a teammate from a short distance and hits the players arm which is above the shoulder. But since it wasn't the first half of the major European final the VAR sends it down. It being a German var is a little funny too.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There was also a possible hand ball in the Monaco - PSV match today (I don't know how to work streamable so cannot help). It was really borderline watching the reply as the player turned his back and the ball hit the arm which was pretty close to the body. VAR sent it down, the CR took about 20 seconds to look at it and waved the penalty call off.

Davide Massa (ITA) did a wonderful job of managing the players. He motioned everyone away from him, telling them to settle down so he could hear from the VAR team. For me this is the way it should happen all the time and congrats to the CR for doing a good job of match management. He called a good game in general (I don't know how highly he is ranked in Italy). Marco Guida was VAR.

4. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don’t think that should be sent down at all. The arm was in a natural position for what the defender was doing and the arm that was ultimately hit was not taking space away from attacker. The ball going where it went from the deflection off the teammate was totally unexpected. If the new language about evaluating natural position as being for what the player is doing actually means it, that should not be a HB.

ejschwartz repped this.
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I assume you are referring to the match I posted about. I was just thinking that it was an ITA officiating team and it was an ITA VAR in the women's Euro final where the disputed hand ball took place. Perhaps VAR was overly cautious given the outcry and that's why it was sent down.

I say this with a great deal of humor!!:D A great case can be made for not doing anything but I still think the game management around the incident was good.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Rangers player got cautioned for SPA when the ball bounced off his teammate and hit his arm when it was moving away from goal!

7. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Not a fan of these sports bra

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, what? For that? Yikes.

I wish your post could get a lot more eyes. The idea that that incident gets sent down as clearly wrong several days after the EURO 2022 one didn't, where both occurred under the same governing authority and ostensibly played under the exact same referee/VAR instructions is laughable. There's no other way to describe it if we are sticking to the party line that VAR is supposed to increase objectivity and eliminate clear errors.

I've made my point on the EURO one; it's a handball and a penalty. This one, it really all comes down to what @socal lurker honed in on. If the arm is in a position that is justifiable by the body movement for that particular situation. When you stop and think about it, there really is no reason for that right arm to be up; a player could naturally lunge like that without having his arm up. That said, he also doesn't really seem to be putting it in a place that risks handling and, if anything, has taken it away from space where it would be more likely to strike the ball. Of course, I guess that's not a consideration anymore.

Long way of saying I can see how, under the current Laws, an official would say that's a penalty. And if we are still pretending we are in a world where all handballs can be objectively decided via VAR, then I can see why this gets sent down.

Of course...
    1) The harshness of the decision shows how the Laws still aren't perfect.
    2) The idea that every handball can be adjudicated to a "clearly right" position should be a fallacy
    3) It's laughable when juxtaposed against Germany-England, as stated
    4) And holy smokes he really got a yellow card for that?!?!

datschge repped this.
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm really getting confused (no surprise:D). We are talking here about two separate games. I thought @socal lurker is commenting on the Monaco - PSV match that was watching (as noted, I don't have a clip to post on the no HB call). The description matches what took place in that game. The Rangers match was another game.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    "A sensor will be placed in the centre of match ball"

I'm interested in the engineering behind this and how they ensure it stays in the center of the ball(s) after repeated kicking.

Thegreatwar and blissett repped this.
  12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    frankieboylampard repped this.
  13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they need it to remain in the exact center of the ball. It's being used as an accelerometer to help identify kick points.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is UEFA adopting the technology that FIFA will use in Qatar early and sort of stealing their thunder? If it was done cooperatively, sort of weird that FIFA isn't mentioned at all here.

The only alternative is that two different groups/entities are trialing semi-automated offside at the same time, which sounds delightful.

Oh, and that fourth official assignment is... odd? Local(ish) referee, I suppose. But not the sort of name you usually see there.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait. UEFA statement says this was trialed in all of last year's UCL matches. Did I completely miss that or is that news?

I'm only recalling FIFA talking about trials and then the use at the Arab Cup. Did UEFA also announce trials in 2021-2022 or did they just drop that news for the first time here? And I completely understand they were "live trials," so that's not my question. I just literally never recall UEFA saying anything about semi-automated offside until today. If they went a whole season secretly trialing it without it leaking, that would be something. So I'm sure I just missed it.

Thegreatwar repped this.
  16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the ESPN article

So UEFA has done it's own fair share of testing and must be confident in it. But yes, I agree it's interesting that they are beating FIFA to the punch.

Thegreatwar and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, no English VAR on what is a glorified friendly. PGMOL has quite a bit of work to do. I wonder if we will be seeing the VARs that Taylor and Oliver will work with in Qatar show up during the CL this fall.

Thegreatwar and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's also worth acknowledging the Oliver appointment as a major accomplishment. Thought, looking at it, it seems like it could/should only be him Makkelie or Orsato.

You want it to be a referee going to Qatar. Can't be German or Spanish. Wouldn't be someone that's had it already. And very unlikely it would be someone who had one of the three cup finals in May. I think that just leaves Oliver, Makkelie and Orsato. Orsato has had a UCL final, Makkelie is presumably being touted for something big this year, plus English teams being out has to be a factor. So Oliver is pretty straightforward as the appointment.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    SouthRef and blissett repped this.
  20. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    One wonders whether data comparing what was called against what would have been called is forthcoming.

One has a pretty good idea of the answer to that.

21. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Maybe two or three also!

PH

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  22. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    If the flag goes up almost immediately, I don't see it being much of a bother. Its the ball being in the back of the net, and waiting an extended period of time for the decision is the problem. The tradeoff of attempting to get at mm level perfection in exchange of having to wait a long time on goal / no goal decisions simply isn't worth it to many.

There aren't many public gripes over mm decisions with GLT, as that is nearly instantaneous.

blissett repped this.
  23. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I think the best part about this is hopefully the ball being put back into play immediately while the team that just got called offside struggles to run back while screaming at the refs.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With credit to @Mikael_Referee , Cakir has announced his retirement after the UCL qualifying match in Bulgaria this past Tuesday.

I guess something we should have seen coming. On the one hand, the timing is a bit odd given he fought to be reinstated in the Turkish league last spring. But without the WC selection (which had to be a prime motivation for reinstatement), I imagine the domestic hassles just weren't worth it and he had nothing left to achieve (nor much charity from the top) within Europe. I would have liked to see him go out on a big matchday 5 or 6 game in the group stage of UCL, but such is life and, after all, it's his choice.

With Kuipers, for me, the best .European referee of the last decade when you look at the entire body of work. Absolute shame how he's been treated the past 3 years.

25. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    With Kuipers, Cakir, and Brych gone, it feels like an era of elite European refereeing has come to an end.