2022/2023 Season Prep thread

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by The Zeta Variant, Mar 3, 2022.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Amorim said today that we don't have 1 more euro to spend, that he wanted to keep as much of the base as possible. Only if a crucial player got sold would move for other players.

At the same time, David Moyes from West Ham confirmed that they offered to buy Matheus Nunes but the player rejected. That's West Ham and Wolves, he's clearly waiting for a bigger club to bid.

SCP_16 and natenate101 repped this.
  2. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They also only offered €30 million plus €5 million in objectives which is a disgraceful offer and should be immediately rejected.

3. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Matheus Nunes to Wolver-sham-pton for €45 million plus €5 million in objectives. Some shambolic business by Varandas bending over and taking it up his ass in usual Varanadas fashion. Getting rid of easily our most influential player, this team is winning nothing in the foreseeable future.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Crap I hate to see him leave, especially to Wolves...

But now we must sign 2 players IMO

I would not be surprised if we go after Ricardo Horta. Save this post.

His clause is 60M, he cost us like 300k... its easily one of our best ever deals. Don't see how it's "shambolic" as long as we replace him adequately... Although, the timing sucks. Amorim just said he didnt wanna lose Matheus

5. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree, it's a stupid move. Sportinguistas have every right to be furious.

We didn't sell Goncalo Ramos yet. I hope we don't.

Wolves fans are calling for a statue of Jorge Mendes outside of Molyneux.

SCP_16 repped this.
  6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Selling your best player and arguably the most influential player on your team days before one of the biggest games of the season with little time to get an adequate replacement is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever seen this club do.

7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

It's shambolic because it's a desperate move. His buyout was €60 million. He's easily the most important player on this team and we sold them for 15 million less than his clause. Days before the one of the biggest games of the season. If I'm Amorim I'm bouncing out of this circus.

fdasilva repped this.
  8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I'll agree on that - the money is a lot but everything else especially the timing is absolutely awful and shambolic.

We absolutely HAVE TO sign 2 players, and not prospects but players that get into the Starting XI. A midfielder needs to come in and a striker is a must.

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Mendes has the big 3 by the balls. We've all blown the TV money from our crazy deals and now depend on Mendes to make us money.

10. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Good sale. Sucks to lose him but we are not a club that can say no to that kind of money. Just hope we can bring in someone to replace him, and add a striker.

Varandas is doing a great job undoing the damage of previous presidents.

11. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    mendes involvement is the only thing I’m worried about. I could see one of his players, like Horta, coming in for a massively inflated fee to “balance” everything out.

12. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I have no doubt our #1 target right now is Horta and we are going to drop 20M on him...

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

And he'll be a part of The Big 3 Collosal Failures this club has signed from Braga. Esgaio, Paulinho and Horta. All for record fees. Disgusting.

The Zeta Variant repped this.
  14. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was really hoping he’d stay one more year. Gotta reinforce wisely but gonna be very hard to fill this hole at this point in the summer. Bummer.

15. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    I have no issue with the fee it seems reasonable…. But the timing is omg one of the worst I have ever seen …. Why not wait a week FFS

16. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I’m willing to bet it’ll be a package deal - Musrati and Horta. It’ll end up a similar deal to the one Porto did with moutinho to screw us out of money. Musrati coming in at 20mil and Horta for 5 so Salvador doesn’t have to pay Malaga.

Andre Almeida and Navarro would be much better and much cheaper, but mendes does what he wants at the end of the day.

17. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know anything about the Horta brother. Is he any good?

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    not for what they’re asking. Doesn’t matter anyways. Dudes wants to go simp for Benfica.

19. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #219 prodigal_mind, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Cope, 45m is nothing for a player of Nunes current ability and potential.

To put things into perspective, Atletico madrid is about to get that much money for Matheus Cunha. Coulda probaly got 50-60 million if sold next summer

20. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I don’t understand how comparing Sporting with a bigger club in a much bigger league puts things in perspective?

Nobody likes to admit it, but no club in Portugal is refusing 50 million. Good sale, timing sucks.

nelly29 repped this.
  21. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is that every other club will know Sporting has a chunk of cash to work with and thus overcharge for any player the club pursues. If the club was really that open to selling Nunes, even this late in the window, probably should’ve made a few purchases or had deals ready to go in case. Tough spot with the season already started.

22. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I’m not even mad about the money and I certainly don’t begrudge Nunes the move, it’s just disappointing to lose him when the season has already begun as it clearly weakens us.

I’ll wait to see who the replacements are before I make my mind up on this one

23. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    He didn’t even sell for the release clause, sold right before the toughest league fixture of the season , sold right after Amorim said he wasn’t prepared to lose Matheus nunes, sold right after they used the Tabata sale to justify freeing up funds for nunes.

24. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Selling for the release clause is pretty uncommon.

the thing is, I feel like Varandas/Hugo Viana/Amorim have earned our trust at this point. People were upset when Acuna left, replaced him with Nuno Mendes who was much better and we got 45 mil out of it. People were upset about Joao Mario not being signed, replaced him with a kid who no one heard of and cost us 900k, who people laughed at when Varandas said he would cover the Amorim fee, then goes on to be sold for 50mil. Hard to be mad at that kind of return imo. Same thing will happen with Ugarte, who is already better than Palhinha imo.

For me it’s a breath of fresh air to sell players when the demand is high and replace them with young players with a tonne of potential. Do we really want to go back to the days of not selling when the player is hot, then letting the go for dirt cheap a couple years later when they’re upset? And signing dozens of players every transfer market that aren’t good enough to even suit up for the b team?

25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Good points IMO. Also before Joao Mario (as much of a rat he is) we had Wendel and he was sold for 20M and people panicked too. With that money we brought in Pote and JM for a title winning season.

Its just the timing here that sucks and also based on Amorim's words Matheus was the one player he Did NOT want to lose at all. If i were him I'd be demanding reinforcements just like Conceicao is at Porto after losing 2 midfielders.

OndaVerde, natenate101 and nelly29 repped this.