2021 The Netherlands thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by desinho, Jan 22, 2021.

1. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, making the same move as her current headcoach. Hoping for higher level in training is one of the reasons I've seen mentioned as currently she can notice a big difference between club and NT training ...

2. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #27 desinho, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Looks like PSV already have their successor to Joëlle Smits:

Quicker, stronger, takes all corner kicks as well and has quite good delivery on them

PSV opening up a five point gap with Ajax, with FC Twente at #2, but they'll split the league in half after 14 games and cut the current point total in half. Top 4 playing each other and bottom 4 playing each other for x more games.

They also (controversially given the rivalry) signed van Lunteren for next season, currently rehabbing at Ajax

3. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  4. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #30 desinho, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021

In other news, first silverware of the season goes to ... Ajax Amsterdam. Best performance of the season so far and in this game deserved winners of the league cup (Twente goalie could've done better on last two goals though, third especially).

Third goal, three errors in one sequence: first of all should've collected the ball. Didn't and instead cleared it very poorly. Thirdly seemed to think the shot would go wide and did nothing but watch it go in o_O. Highlights https://pure-energie-eredivisievrouwen.nl/finale-eredivisie-cup-ajax-fc-twente-3-2/
    She'll be replacing Lize Kop in the Dutch squad for the upcoming friendlies who somehow managed to pick up an injury of some kind in this game.

L'orange repped this.
  5. Interview with Wiegmans. Use google translate if interested:
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...willen-wat-aan-speelwijze-toevoegen~aad32b0c/
    Wiegman puzzelt richting Tokio: ‘We willen wat aan speelwijze toevoegen’

VideoDe contouren van het Oranje dat we op de Olympische Spelen gaan zien, worden steeds beter zichtbaar. ‘Nieuwe’ namen grijpen hun kans tussen de gearriveerde Leeuwinnen, die morgen in en tegen Spanje een oefenwedstrijd spelen.

Tim Reedijk 8 apr. 2021 Laatste update: 20:57

Wiegman puzzles towards Tokyo: "We want to add something to the way of play" The contours of the Orange that we will see at the Olympic Games are becoming increasingly visible. "New" names seize their chance among the arrived Lionesses, who will play a practice match in and against Spain tomorrow. Tim Reedijk Apr 8 2021 Last update: 20:57

6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It sounds like the KNVB would like to hire another female Dutch coach to take over the national team but, based on what I read, there just aren't many viable candidates. One favorite is the current coach of the U19 women's team--I forget her name--but according to a article I read (in rough translation) She doesn't have a lot of coaching experience. But as the article pointed out, neither did Wiegman when she took over the squad.

There's a difference, though: Wiegman took over a young team that wasn't sure of its individual and group potential. Both the coach and players/team grew and blossomed together. The new coach won't have that luxury. S/he will be taking over a talented and veteran group that may not be so easy to manage. The players will want to be assured that the new coach knows what s/he's doing--and given the Dutch NT's success over the last three/four years, there will be high expectations, which Wiegman didn't have to face when she took the job. In short, Taking over the defending Euros champion and WC runnerup isn't going to be easy. It's an important hire.

kolabear and blissett repped this.
  7. Well, they could opt for her to be aided by Foppe de Haan, like he did with starting Wiegman.

8. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #35 desinho, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Not sure if serious but the presentors name dropped the soon to be ex-Arsenal coach. His management is apparently based in the Netherlands...
    Edit: sports news just now quickly put and end to those speculations. Rumoured they have narrowed it down to one candidate and he's not it.

9. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    KVNB should hire Louis van Gaal and make his assistant some raising but yet unexperienced women coach. One who will naturally take over him in 5-6 years (ie. for WWC 2027)

desinho repped this.
  10. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes would love to see and I think he would love to do it. More likely if he were a few years younger or just a 6 month run towards a EC/WC

Lechus7 repped this.
  11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Montemurro? Ha, that would be interesting. He does like and play something close to the Dutch style, and he's got three Dutch starters on his Arsenal squad, and the players love the guy, so in some ways it would be inspired. But the KNVB seems to want to hire a Dutch woman--even though there are very few desirable female candidates. This dilemma may be why it's taken so long to name a successor. Montemurro's wife did not join him in London when he took the Arsenal job, and that's apparently been an issue for him. Someone also mentioned that his mother, who's also in Australia, has been ill, so I suspect he's headed back home. I do think the KNVB would be unwise to think that they next coach can be as lightly experienced as Wiegman was and get away with it. That kind of good fortune doesn't happen very often--even with a talented squad.

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Yikes: What happened today? I wasn't surprised that Spain had more possession than the Dutch--but 69 percent to 31 percent? Good grief? 20 shots to 1? 7 SOG for Spain compared to 0--0!--for The Netherlands? Seven corners to 1 for the Dutch? Wiegman's women were completely bossed, by all accounts. I didn't see the game--just checked the stats--and can't imagine I will watch it as it sounds like the Dutch simply chased the ball around the pitch for 90 minutes. When's the last time the Dutch were humbled like this? I know Spain is good--a major comer, they've given the American NT as much or more trouble than anybody--but didn't expect this kind of beat-down.

I saw that Spain played a 3-5-2 against the Dutch tried-and-true 4-3-3. So with 5 midfielders, Spain perhaps had a tactical advantage in the center of the pitch. The Dutch may have been out-manned. I assume Roord and Martens came back and helped in the midfield a lot, especially as The Netherlands had so little of the ball--but if you're doing that as a wide forward you're playing differently than the way the the Dutch like to play. I can't say--but I'm eager to hear what others think was the big problem today. I mean, everybody knows that Spain are ball-control geniuses--only the Japanese are comparable--but we all expect more from Wiegman's squad than this disaster. The only positive I can take from it is that it will give The Netherlands more exposure to what they can expect from Japan should they have to play the home team in the upcoming Olympics. I don't think it will help much as the players are already quite familiar with how Japan (and Spain) play. They weren't surprised today, I assume--just beaten.

sbahnhof repped this.
  13. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    The Dutch simply couldn’t progress the ball under Spanish pressure. It didn’t help that the ref was calling fouls that weren’t fouls and making no calls on clear fouls.

A lot of Spain’s shots were low xG ones in my opinion. The ref waved off a clear penalty on Miedema in the 78th minute, van de Sanden somehow missed a big chance to score an equalizer on some quality buildup from the Dutch, and Patri may have been just offside on her goal. Absolute domination from Spain, but they maybe would have lost with a better ref and van de Sanden finishing her chance (potentially highest xG chance I’m guessing from either side).

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Tks. I've started to watch and see D. Janssen playing right fullback. I've never seen her play on the right for the Dutch--always either left CB or left outside back--and from the jump she does not look comfortable on the right. Not sure how big an issue it was in the match--maybe nothing--but it's never a good thing to switch a player to a side h/she hasn't played in ages--even if Janssen is two-footed (or close to it). Wiegman did it because Wilms is hurt and out of these friendlies, which is too bad as she needs all the pre-Olympic matches she can get. A (translated) Dutch match report also mentioned that the Spanish goal-scorer was offside. We can't be surprised that Van de Sanden missed a good chance. Scoring has been one of her big issues: she been good for a long time at servicing Miedema and others in the box, but as a forward you also have to put the ball in the net and she struggles to do that. I read that it's been a tough 6+ months for her--not just losing her starting job with the NT but also losing her father.

Ethan Frank repped this.
  15. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #42 desinho, Apr 10, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    Yes he was apparently one of two names that have been floating around but a journalist made some enquiries left and right and dismissed Montemurro as the one they are in talks with.
    Originally the profile for the new coach was 'Sarina+' but that seemingly has had a detrimental effect on the interest [emoji1]. It definitely does not have to be a women in any case...

Regarding the Miedema penalty claim, seems to me Paredes got a block on the ball. No claim at all from Miedema herself ... (incident didn't make the local highlight clip at all for what it's worth)

sbahnhof repped this.
  16. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I thought Miedema looked clearly frustrated with the contact right after that. It doesn’t look like Paredes got a touch on the ball to me, but regardless, she definitely made contact with her follow through, which was reckless. Honestly, it’s not worth much; I’ve seen so many poor highlight videos that leave out important plays.

sbahnhof repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I wonder if The Netherlands played Spain again in, say, 2 weeks if Wiegman would stick with a 4-3-3 and the same lineup. On its face it doesn't seem well-suited for a technical Spain side playing 5 in the midfield. Then again, maybe the Dutch just simply weren't ready to play. I'd certainly think hard about packing the midfield if I were playing Spain again--and maybe too against Japan. However, I can't remember Wiegman ever playing anything but the 4-3-3 except for the radical defensive formation she tried in the WC final.

18. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes she looked frustrated but if she had really been fouled she would've certainly let the ref know in a lot stronger terms like she usually does and at the bare minimum raise an arm to claim a foul. Looked more frustrated at the waisted opportunity ... or simply disillusioned by that stage of the match and didn't bother anymore :x3: [literally no one else on the team claimed a foul either o_O. vd Donk must've been subbed off by then :laugh:]

No mention of it at all in post-match commentary during the live broadcast and later that night in the football show but then again, it was only a friendly. Unless it's against Germany nobody [in the public] is going to get hung up on this result, all prepatory work for the Olympics. Van Veenendaal surely is a big game performer, stepped up for this one as well though looked a bit awkward for the Spain goal

Looking at the incident again the shot is either blocked or scuffed, but looks like you might be right indeed. The Dutch commentator did mention it but I generally don't value his commentary and they watch on tiny monitors so certainly wouldnt have been the first time he got something wrong completely ...

19. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    #46 Ethan Frank, Apr 11, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    "Simply disillusioned by that stage of the match and didn't bother anymore"
    Yeah, I agree with this, and that probably applied to everyone.

Spain's a big fan favorite and like the media darling; at least that's the impression I get. They dominated the match playing football "the right way"; let's make little mention of Patri being questionably offside on her goal and no mention of Paredes riding her luck massively. This was just a friendly, but I'm going to be disappointed if we see officiating performances like that at the Olympics and Euros.

Edit: Then again, some of the pundits are just quite critical of the Dutch play and probably find it more useful to not talk about plays that suggest the Dutch were on the end of poor officiating. I definitely get being critical, but I also found the ref's performance to be quite frustrating throughout the whole match. So be it though.

desinho repped this.
  20. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    To be fair, they really only had a couple of minutes at their disposal for a post-match analysis (usually there is a football talkshow at 2030h. that draw's a lot more viewers and are hardly interested in women's football so they had until 2100h.). Studio analyst this time was Mandy vd Berg, the one in the football show was another ex-international from longer ago and co-host and commentator for the women's league broadcast. Normally the football show covers the men's league and she is a regular there as well on the friday. They are generally not ciritical in the way some others are in comparing it to men's football.

They also made another (lame) attempt to discuss the successor to Sarina on the Sunday show and it was mentioned the one I had posted some time ago, the current U19 coach (Jessica Torny), was put off by the 'Sarina+' profile they wanted. After some time (I read in this article) she was willing to go through with it if the current assistant was kept in place but as we know he is following Wiegman to England now (after all he had the ambition to become the headcoach himself so quite understandable if you then don't want to be the assistant yet again to guide the newbie).

As for the refereeing, I can barely remember a match when it hasn't bothered me. If they could do with VAR anywhere it is in women's football ...

Lechus7 and Ethan Frank repped this.
  21. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #48 desinho, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Dutch Cup semifinals this weekend:

First semi highlights here (including another glorious goalie error; if you want to see what a brainfreeze looks like then look no further :confused:. Also two missed handball fouls in this game, one of them as blatant as it get's): https://pure-energie-eredivisievrouwen.nl/halve-finale-toto-knvb-beker-fc-twente-ado-den-haag-2-3/
    Second semi underway now, 1-0 to PSV after another (somehwhat of a) goalie error ... (commentator speculated the sun might have been bothering her but her shadow is in front of her in the direction the ball came from o_O:D).
    Ajax have the upperhand but not creating anything dangerous so far ...
    Joëlle Smits back in action for a couple of games already but it really looks like she has lost a step. She tested positive for Covid19 earlier in the year and you might wonder if it is affecting her ...

sbahnhof repped this.
  22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Dutch draw Brazil, Zambia and China in their Olympics group. That's about as good as The Netherlands could have hoped for. Brazil, which languished for a few years with mediocre play, was much improved in the World Cup and will be a tough opponent. China is athletic and could also be difficult if the Dutch are not at their best, but I hope the superior technical skills and tactics of The Netherlands will prove too much for the Asian squad. I know nothing about Zambia.

23. desinho

desinho Member

Liverpool FC
    Spain
    Aug 7, 2007
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quite a good draw indeed, although you never know with China in an Olympic year ...
    World Cup qualifiers draw not bad either, one of the two toughest top three's along with Belgium's group.

In the meanwhile round 2 of the final stages of the Eredivisie where the top half of the 'regular' season will duke it out for the title:

Thought I had missed out once again on the Ajax stream but they've decided to go with Youtube this time rather than their own website:

In group B, for the bottom half finishers, Heerenveen v Excelsior was cancelled due to some positive covid19 test results so the only game tonight there was VV Alkmaar v PEC Zwolle. Some talented young players on both sides, but unfortunately the stream is so poor it's not even worth linking to (not to mention the first half has been set to private). Game ended in a 3-3 draw:

But here is a nice 'day in the life of' video of one of the Alkmaar players:

This Alkmaar talent (scored twice today) apparently signed a contract with Heerenveen for next season during the winterbreak". Can't wait to see, she's really been something this season :cool:

L'orange and sbahnhof repped this.