News: 2021 Roster Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Nov 12, 2020.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Notable MLS player values after Transfermarkt update:

Djordje Mihailovic ($3.85M)

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  2. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    xtomx repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He sees "a lot of potential in Elliot" Collier.
    So do I.
    I see a potential insurance salesman or sporting goods store assistant manager, but not much in the way of a world class or even MLS class striker.

goldclover, bunge and moleman repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Every team has one or two or three outstanding players."

Really, Georg, who are out "outstanding" player(s)?

Beric? Very good
    Medran? Potential to be very good.
    Frankowski? Shown flashes of being above average.

None are outstanding.

moleman repped this.
  5. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Shore up the defense and we give those players a better chance to shine. It may not work but it’s the path forward as far as I see it.

rooked, GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am assuming this article accurately expresses the flow of the press conference.

He moves to Sapong and they let him go due to his age and salary.

Pivots to our new Offor.
    "He is a young striker. He is a tall striker. Nevertheless, he has a certain speed....He is a very interesting option."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

At least he stopped short of being completely racist about it.

I want Offor to succeed.

I want him to tear up the league for two or three years and Euro scouts come knocking. However, he is in Europe and has been for 3 years or more. If he had that much potential, he would have been snapped up already.

goldclover and splunge63 repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I tend to agree that the defense needs a serious upgrade
    Start with Bornstein (too old)
    And
    Calvo (too expensive and error prone)

rooked and Martininho repped this.
  8. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    What baffles me is that Bronico is told he is too old (I don't buy this, feels like a cheap excuse to avoid telling him they think he sucks), as well as Sapong (31 isn't young, but it isn't old either). Then you have Bornstein being the backup LB (or fringe starter) making over $250k at age 36.

For what it's worth, I am not against keeping Bornstein at all, but I certainly would keep Sapong over an aging Bornstein at that number. They probably could have renegotiated that price lower too but instead picked up the option early.

I'm going to be optimistic on Offor. I think Heitz and Pelzer know how to spot talent. Not perfect but this isn't Nelson with his signing of Del Grecco (well I hope) among many other duds.

My concerns are with their ability to manage a MLS salary cap. I was concerned with their overload on internationals while kicking domestic players to the curb, but if we do get 7 players their green card soon then it is no issue. Nonetheless, Djordje was told they will actively shop him since they cannot fit him in the budget. Why can you not fit him in the budget? Surely offloading Aliseda instead if necessary would be the right move instead. Or maybe don't pay Calvo and Bornstein all that money?

There are two other guys on their wish list that I was told about in addition to Offor. A winger and a right back, both internationals. One from Europe, the other from South America. Will we add more or is that it? Heitz mentions adding 2 to 3 players, so hopefully he is lying because we need a few more. Are we done with centerback? Is Teran suppose to be the solution or is Pineda expected to make a big leap this off-season to cover for Calvo's deficiencies? Are we not targeting stud DP anymore then? I don't think the young Brazilian we were targeting will happen, plus they would have moved Beric elsewhere. I think with how Beric got out of his cold spell, they will not pursue it any longer.

Also, where is our leadership going to come from with all these young guys here? Bornstein is solid but he's not keeping the locker room together alone. Calvo will be ignored when shit hits the fan, because of all the mental lapses he has. Gimenez and Medran are too passive. Beric is too emotional. Sapong isn't going to keep it together either, but we need a few guys as well as a undisputed starter in that locker room.

So I remain worried about this team going forward. I don't think it's an impossible task by any means, but there are some important things that need to be addressed.

goldclover, LIZZIE, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Bronico is too old at age 25, that means he is simply not good enough.
    And that's okay, not everybody makes it as a professional athlete.

I don't think Bronico flat out sucks, but I do not think he is going to ever be good enough to be a regular contributor to the Fire or any MLS team, likely. If they are having an expansion draft, he might be good fodder for that.

Collier, by the way is five months older than Bronico and more than a bit suckier.

goldclover, TyrusRose and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  10. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    I think Bronico is an okay role player. He started a good chunk of games last season and was fine. Team wasn't great but it was fighting for a playoff spot without an expanded playoff field and averaged more PPG than this years team. What he isn't is a RB. As CM he's an okay backup for when injuries hit and then Gaston goes on international duty. 20th man type of player. Cheap contract too. He was pretty terrible against SKC but it was also his first time playing CM is what, a year? At the end of the day, losing him isn't drastic by any means and he is easily replaceable, but you already had your 20th ish man on your roster, what's the point in shuffling that? Same reason I'm fine with bringing back Collier. As the last man on your roster, he's one of the better guys. As a guy in your 18 man roster, he absolutely is not good enough.

goldclover repped this.
  11. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    As a side note, teams better than the Fire right now are looking to acquire both Sapong and Bronico, so to me that says something. Letting go of players who have some value in this league.

goldclover repped this.
  12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    We’re just going to get another Bronico so moving him is almost wasted energy. Now, if they have a homegrown player that’s already at his level then sure, make room.

That said, if SEVEN players get Green Cards, there may be a long list of cheap foreign players to backfill as well.

Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  13. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    I'm not sure if we'll get another Bronico. I think we will go with one of those young home growns in that position and frankly, I'll take a guy with a fair number of appearances over someone who has yet to even play in USL (Madison is USL1 right?). I'd make the same case for Azira except he's older and more expensive than Bronico, but same role.

7 green cards is a big game changer, for not just this season but beyond. We'd essentially be opening up all internationals slots every off-season if we can do this yearly.

goldclover and splunge63 repped this.
  14. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If Heitz wasn't exaggerating, this is essentially a cheat code and I'm all for finally using dumb MLS rules to our advantage.

15. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Yep and a big WTF to Nelson and Hauptman for not doing this in the past. 3 years later and Basti never got his green card nor do I think Nikolic every did. A lot of these guys came in March and are getting green cards around the end of the year? Sheesh

goldclover, Jiggly_333 and skinut repped this.
  16. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not overly pleased with losing Sapong and I would completely push to keep CJ over Collier. Bronico is a decent backup depth piece. Nothing special but not horrid. I actually love Sekulic at RB though more for his forward play then defense. As much as I have always liked Calvo...I think it is time to move him either to LB or bench as a good defensive sub. He might even be able to backup cdm. I am..guardedly hopeful about this new guy...I am not overly sure I would not keep Mihailovic over Aliseda to be honest and keep one more dp spot open then.

TyrusRose and bunge repped this.
  17. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    goldclover, bunge and rooked repped this.
  18. rooked

rooked Member+

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #68 rooked, Nov 23, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    I like this move! Although I know nothing of this player, never even seen him. Still, a young defender from a soccer country with international capsways

19. As much as I would like to see Calvo replaced with a stud defend first center back, we forget that Kappelhof is still around and is close to the level of player we could bring in. With the new RB (who will be gone often with callups) I believe we have to stand pat in the back and focus on that #10/enganche/trequartista we really need.

20. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    feels like the Fire are playing the long-term game more than any moment under the previous regime and that is a very good thing

21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh come now, we had about four 3-year "plans" (or were they "processes"?) in a row.
    If that is not long term, what is?

Oh, wait.

lethargytartare repped this.
  22. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Finding a “#10” can take years. I may be alone in this opinion, but if I’m building a team I assume I’m never going to find one and if you do, you move hell or high water to sign them. But you absolutely have to be prepared to not have one. With ~30 teams in MLS, we’d be lucky to see 10 truly quality attacking #10s.

Shipping off quality players to make cap space for a #10 is going to make you more successful than holding cap space open in hopes of finding one.

23. Jake Roberts

Jake Roberts Member

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 7, 2018
    They had one in Gaitan and let him go.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Agreed. That said, he would probably be considered a second tier #10. We also had Schweinsteiger who could have been a great MLS #10.

goldclover repped this.
  25. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But what about the South American #10 tree? Can't we just go to Argentina and pluck one? There are probably a delicious pot full of 18 year old #10's sitting on the bench waiting to get time at the top level of the Argentine Primera División that would come here to get exposure.

splunge63 and bunge repped this.