2021 Regular Season [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by EvanJ, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caden Clark in the 48th minute, but Sporting Kansas City scored in consecutive minutes for an away win. Gadi Kinda, who is on loan from Beitar Jerusalem in Israel and played 16 games for Israel's U-21 team, scored a penalty kick in the 59th minute. Daniel Salloi, who played 4 games for Hungary's U-21 team, scored the winner in the 60th minute.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2021/matches/rbnyvsskc-04-17-2021/ has statistics and highlights. MLS redesigned their website. We had 50.9 percent of the possession on that page but https://www.mlssoccer.com/competitions/mls-regular-season/2021/matches/rbnyvsskc-04-17-2021/stats gave us only 45.30 percent. I hate when statistics for a game on different sites don't match, and it only happens in soccer. We had more shots, 12 to 8, and each club had 3 shots on goal. Expected goals (XG) were 0.6 for us and 1.8 for SKC.

Our next game is Sunday April 25 at Los Angeles Galaxy at 5:30 P.M. on Fox Sports 1. We have only four of 34 games on national TV, and two are hosting NYCFC, who we play three times in nines games including twice in the last four of the nine games. We host NYCFC on August 21, go there on September 25, and host them on October 17. Decision Day is November 7.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the significant changes to our management & playing teams, last night looked a bit like more of the same.

I only hope that we can turn around our fortunes as easily as the RBA staff did last night to fix the upside-down and backwards Heineken on-pitch logo, which they did behind the scenes somewhere during 1T

On a bright note, we do seem to have something special in Caden Clark. Hard to imagine he's still only 17. Let's hope he doesn't burn out from our very early dependence on him.

3. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win today. At last! The better of the 2 teams.

And really nice to see the unbridled joy on the faces of everyone from Stuber on down. As if they won the Eastern Conference Semi or something.

Keep it up guys!

p.s. Caden Clark may be a phenom. We could be very lucky/smart to have acquired him.

Dyvel repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a fantastic performance and win a week ago, we went down the Pike to Philly and had an absolutely miserable night.
    • Lost 1-0
    • 1 shot on target
    • Poor positioning by our forwards
    • Yearwood was a moron and got a 2nd yellow
    • Long picked up a bad looking injury in the final minute

5. Redd Beach

Redd Beach New Member

toronto fc
    Brazil
    May 16, 2021
    TFC supporter here asking a serious question? what are Red Bulls supporters views
    on Chris Armas? so far into 2021 im not a fan actually losing patience with him !!
    was he popular with the Red Bulls support? did he have a winning season at any time
    with the red bulls....plz take him back for thelove of god..

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Hahaha. He was the heir apparent to Marsh so many hoped for a Mini-Marsh but he wasn't. He seems to be good with players as a number 2 but not as a 1 and his tactics are not up to snuff. His future will be more as a Robin Frazer type, maybe he can be a right the ship guy but definitely not a win the whole thing type of guy.

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Won our 3rd straight at home and bounced back from the lost to NE. Clark again with a goal. Is he leaving in the off-season?

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 NorthBank, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Yes another good match. (Just watched it) We really outplayed Orlando and really coulda shoulda put them away at 2-0, but instead let them back into it at 2-1 which made the last 15 mins a bit nervy.

Nice performances from Clark, Tolkin (another good academy product?), Casseres, Edwards. In fact the whole team played well. And I still love the RB style that we play.

Keep it up! After the 2-3 week interlull break.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an email from the club and the subject was: "Visit the Cathedral of North American Soccer"

Seriously? Even for marketing hype, that's a bit of a reach, no? I'd be embarrassed if I wrote that or was forced to write that.

RBA is a nice little stadium. But if there is a cathedral, surely it would attract more people on a regular basis. Other MLS stadia probably have a much better claim to such a title. And TBF can any of them say they're more of a cathedral than Azteca.

10. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Marketing doing some "motivation" lines again. It is definitely Stadium Azteca. In USA it, would have to be a split between the home Depot center as the Galaxy are like the winningest franchise in MLS history or the Seahawks stadium considering the Sounders can fill it on GameDay. Maybe Meadowlands due to big moments but that would also make the Rose bowl a possibility.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally was able to watch the Nashville match. Great game! We're on a bit of a roll. :D

I absolutely loved our high-energy, high-tempo, smothering, tenacious pressing.

I have no idea what the stats were but we seemed to win the vast majority of 50/50's.

Great to see Fabio bag a goal and a golazzo game-winner at that.

Caden Clark is pretty clearly our MVP of the season so far... what a great bit of business that was. If only we can hold on to him for a few years.

Tolkin the scrub had his best game so far, at least from what I can say.

All good. KEEP IT GOIN!

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/report-new-york-red-bulls-caden-clark-finalizing-transfer-rb-leipzig

Clark is leaving next year he's already been sold. It's a matter of him turning 18 and being old enough.

Because it's blocked in my zone I have to probably catch a torrent and then download it to watch our games right now with the Copa and the Euro going on I don't have as much soccer time to take away from family duties so I'll probably catch up with our games after those cups.

NorthBank repped this.
  13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I didn't know that. Damn, we could really go places with this kid. Oh well, it'll just have to be this season then! MLS Cup baby!! ;)

I guess that maybe Red Bull had this plan all along when they had us buy him for New York, i.e. as a farm team for the big boys at Leipzig.

14. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Pretty much. Notice he is skipping the Salzburg middle step, meaning they are very high on him.

15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched ORL 1-2 NYRB. What a match!

"Full blooded" as they say. We were positive, aggressive, won lots of 50/50's, stole the ball off their feet, had good linkup play for the goals, Yearwood's best game at Red Bull. Coronel was huge... include a PK save. Lots and lots to like.

And all against one of the best teams in the league this year, who's lost only 2 games so far... both to NYRB. :D

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB 1-1 PU

We really should’ve won, especially When their Harvard educated keeper didn’t use his smarts so well, got kicked off and gifted us the first goal.

But more disappointing than that, we lost several more key players to Injury. Our back line is now getting closer to being that of RB2.

And our overall DL list is really quite huge now. It’s great that we are still able to get results, but can’t really see how that can last with so many injuries.

19. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a tie that felt like a loss. I chalk this up to a young team still going through growing pains. As long as they learn from it and keep growing.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched yesterday's match vs Revs. Fairly entertaining. We held our own against the team with the best record in the league. And were only 5-10' away from victory, when they scored twice in 7 mins. Ugh, what a gut punch.

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @betyourmls
    7h
    #RBNY is giving free tickets to the rest of the 2021 season matches if you put a $50 deposit towards 2022 season ticket

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a crazy finish to the match @Montreal! Just watched it.

We didn’t deserve to win. But we didn’t deserve to drop 2 points like we did. We played with real purpose, pace and pressing.

Coronel saved 2Pk’s taken after 95’ but they had to be retaken because he hasn’t quite learned how to keep one foot on the line. Then he let in a third that was immensely savable.

Big groan from Struber.

23. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That was insane. Saw the highlights. I have been able to watch the games, just to highlights here and there. I don't even know how deep this team is or how talented it is.

24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NYRB is not terrible. In fact I enjoy watching them more than my main squeeze Arsenal. But that's a whole other story.

Both my teams are underachieving. Both have very young squads. Hmm.

We still generally play with the core Red Bull tenets of high intensity, high pressure, and often some crisp, incisive passing.

But we are definitely weak in some areas, especially up front I think.

This season it seems like we only ever lose by 1 goal. So in that sense, you might say we've also been a little unlucky. But then there's that old adage about making your own luck.

Also the wunderkind Clark seems to have come off the boil. Ever since his return from appendectomy surgery... hmm, that's not the kind of surgery you'd expect to have that affect, would you?

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 NorthBank, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Woohoo! 3 points against Crew.

And Ladies & Gentlemen, Wunderkind #2… John Tolkin. Played most of the game in MF. Started and finished the only goal. And so much more.

Plus another fantastic performance by Coronel who probably deserves MOTM.

Bring on NYCFC. :D