2021 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Daniel from Montréal, Nov 18, 2020.

1. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This year’s parley kits have been released. Maybe it’s just me, but the logo/sponsor seem a little low on these. Otherwise, I don’t mind that the league does this once a year, even though I really wouldn’t care or notice if they stopped.

And week 6 kit matchups posted. Fire are wearing their secondaries at home, didn’t see any others upon cursory glance but I may have missed one or two.

Nacional Tijuana and aetraxx7 repped this.
  2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm loving FCD's scheduled all-black GK kit. Wishing my Sounders had Colorado's Dash Green to go with the blue (or even an equally light blue). Just getting sick of rave (and the current sponsor). I need another one of those MLS specials (I have the Sounders camo).

aetraxx7 repped this.
  3. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it matters much with every team wearing the same exact kits (they don’t even bother showing the logos on them) but this week’s kit matchups are posted here.

Nacional Tijuana and aetraxx7 repped this.
  4. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching LA/SJ today and it looked kind of forced. Not bad kits, but still.

5. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's a stupid execution of a good idea. Just make the regular shirts from recycled plastic. No need for the whole league to wear two designs

USA94, AlbertCamus and aetraxx7 repped this.
  6. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. As far as the enviro stuff, I don't know. I'm kind of apolitical there. I do like these "MLS Specials" that have been created for various themes recently. In season 2019, I bought a Sounders camo shirt and I love it. But I don't think I ever saw them wear camo, much less against another camo team (like if they also had orange camo, which no one did).

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe those were warm-up tops, not game tops.

8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a classic Adidas “let us do something at the bare minimum of effort and cost” decision. It’s the same reason why so many change kits are white.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. There is no reason why the regular kits can't just be Parlay plastic. Honestly, this year's blue kit looks like a great alt look for Miami.
    I have a ManU Parlay kit and it feels no different than any other kit. Why not just make them all (or at least the high profile teams) out of reclaimed and recycled plastic?

Bluesfan repped this.
  10. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Week 8 kit matchups are here!

RBNY is wearing their change kit at home against Nashville for some reason, and that game is giving off serious DC United v. Columbus from a few years ago vibes as a result. NYCFC is also wearing their change kit at home this week (against NE), coincidentally. Otherwise not many surprises or exceptionally good matchups this week - Salt Lake / Vancouver, Portland / SKC, and LAFC / Houston appear to be the only primary v. primary matchups this week, unless I missed one (not sure if Miami's white kit is their first choice?).

11. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The new Chicago logo is now official...

I like it. Better than any of the previous Fire logos.

AlbertCamus, aetraxx7 and CMeszt repped this.
  12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta is actually wearing their third today- the league page is incorrect. I think their third looks way more like an Atlanta United jersey than this year’s primary does, fwiw.

13. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The league snuck a week in on us it appears- the Tuesday/Wednesday games were considered week 9. I am pretty sure that midweek games used to be included with weekend games in constituting a 'week', but everything is arbitrary anyway so who cares. Anyway, here were those matchups.

LAFC appears to be the only team that wore their secondary at home- some good color v color/primary v primary matchups with Seattle v Salt Lake giving us the holy grail - both in primaries, both in colors, neither in monochrome.

14. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And week 10 is also posted to the MLS site.

SKC and Dallas are switching at home this week. Salt Lake and Houston are going primary v primary, red v orange. In my head this leads to a horrible viewing experience but a quick google search shows they've done it before and it didn't look too bad in action.

Match up of the week for me/holy grail game is DCU v NYFC- both in primaries, both in colors, neither in monochrome.

15. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird they excluded the Fire v Union game.

16. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, that's cold-blooded. Embarrassingly, I have tickets to the game and didn't even notice the omission :|

AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire v Union went primary v secondary, in a good looking matchup. The different shades of blue were easy to tell apart and Philly’s yellow shorts along with Chicago’s red socks further distinguished the two sides.

[​IMG]

carnifex2005 repped this.
  18. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game also looked great on TV.

harrylee773 repped this.
  19. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really wish the MLS store would sell the Sounders bright yellowish ("volt") GK jersey. Those are sharp.

20. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve noticed a few things regarding shorts this year, and how they can make or break a team’s look. Dallas has worn both blue and white shorts with their primary, and both have looked fine. Cincy has worn orange shorts with their primary a few times, and my goodness it is worlds better than their normal monochrome navy look. Likewise, Portland (white) and Colorado (gray/light lue?) look a lot better when they break up the monochrome primary look with contrasting shorts.

San Jose seems to have abandoned the yellow shorts with their secondary kit, and gone with blue instead, and I’ve got to say it’s a downgrade. I don’t even know that I liked the look before, but there was something appealing about how far from the ‘quakes normal look it was that made it great for a secondary kit. I just noticed it tonight but I’m not sure if they’ve worn the yellow shorts at all this year.

I haven’t seen Miami wear the pink shorts they played their first game last year in at all. I thought those would look especially good with their black shirts, but it looks like they dropped them altogether. Here’s hoping they at least go with a pink jersey next year and lean into that color a little more.

VioletCrown repped this.
  21. BlackandRedForever

DC united
    Scotland
    Jul 4, 2021
    DCU looks very sharp in their primary kit of black shirt, red shorts and black socks. We are the Black and Red finally again on the field. It has helped us distinguish ourselves from all the clubs gravitating towards black kits.

VioletCrown repped this.
  22. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Credit where it's due, y'all look a million times better with the red shorts than in all-black. Also, much as it pains me to praise NE, too- they've looked really good the past two seasons as well since adding red shorts into the mix.

23. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I picked up a Fire GK jersey in that color at their locker room sale last weekend. I'd assume the Sounders have something similar.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  24. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Accidentally came across the second half of the San Jose - Austin match last night and I really hated Austin's all white (as with any team ever in all white. Except the Kiwis.). And it wasn't just because Austin really folded like a wet mule. I found myself wondering if they have green shorts and if they'd have been an issue against what San Jose was wearing. But I just rewatched the highlights and I don't see that there would've been a problem. Just did a little googling, and it seems like a number of folks creating their own concepts were thinking the same thing.