2021 Jersey

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by slycat, Mar 2, 2021.

1. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Could be the replica. No flag or MLS tags on it.

2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's actually nice. Very clean and simple.

Sad to see the luv ya blue relegated to the trash-bin though.

Edit: Also could do without that lame "Hold it Down" thing. Lived here all my life and I've never heard anyone say it.

Also did no one in the marketing department consider the stupidity of adopting that when there is a widespread belief that the ownership is cheap?

7seven7, Westside Cosmo and *rey* repped this.
  3. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I've been hoping for a look like this since we leaned on black. I like that it is simple. with MLS not allowing the design to wrap on the back, it is nice that this look will not change from front to back. I also like that is doesn't just fade down the front like the polygon look from a few years ago. If this ends up being the final look, I am a fan.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst though is when John Walker tries to explain it - I’ve been here 30 years and can’t explain it because I’ve never heard it so when a guy here for only 2 years fabricates the origin or context of use it seems extraordinarily shallow. I’m not exactly “linked in” to the urban culture scene here but Hold it Down was manufactured. Not sure who briefed him and sold him that it was a legit phrase.

nbrooks503 repped this.
  5. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  6. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    The jersey is fine. The black collar looks good to me. Definitely plain but after the thin horizontal lines from 2-3 years ago and the tiger stripes-ish pattern on the last home shirt a plain design is okay.

CeltTexan repped this.
  7. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just a continuation of the plan. In June 2019 a few of us met with the then new Pres and CRO because we were really concerned with the lack of investment in the club resulting in poor performance on the pitch and resultant loss of butts in seats (at the time we didn't realize that it wasn't yet a club)

During that meeting the CRO asked me what I thought of the slogan "My City My Team" - I said the problem wasn't lack of slogans but lack of quality players to compete in an expanding league.

This new jersey along with the My City My Club promotion is just the CRO further expanding her vision.

*rey*, CeltTexan and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New jersey is ok, it does need a cut of our Space City Blue on the black to give our jersey an image that stands alone. As this shirt looks now it is too Dutch National Team circa 1974 if not.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11 CeltTexan, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    I like simple. I as well like when our Houston colors are honored in full. If not our latest jerseys look just like an old Dutch shirt.
    Here is the Dutch National Team in 2000
    [​IMG]

Here is what Adidas is serving up for us in 2021:
    [​IMG]
    From that article on the release of the new jersey:

"The club’s Houston-inspired motto “Hold It Down” is printed on the inside of the neckline, while the back neck of the jersey features an orange, black and silver version of the Texas flag inside a hexagonal pane.

The new jersey also includes a black collar and sleeves with Championship Silver piping, plus a hexagonal-weave material that plays off of the team’s new crest. Two silver stars are stitched above the crest to honor their 2006 and 2007 MLS Cup victories."

Our previous jerseys had silver stars above the original crest, so that is nothing really to declare. What is missing is the Texas flag as is flown respectfully in red, white and blue as seen in front of our own stadium and identical in colors like we had as well on our black alternate jerseys these past many years.
    [​IMG]
    Then there is the complete lack of Space City Blue. Which is an ideal compliment to the black sleeves and neck. When we utilize all three of our founding colors, our team has a distinct image that now other orange based soccer club from another league can replicate. Some have orange and white like Blackpool in the EFL or Shaktar Donesk of Ukraine and Aguilas of El Salvador with orange and black stripes. We are orange and black with a cut of the sky blue and that sets our soccer club apart. Why did the concept of accenting our Raven Black with the Space City Blue go away FO?

This brand image:
    [​IMG]

10. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #12 juvechelsea, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    it's very basic, it's ok. the one thing i'd add is we definitely seem to have pivoted from white towards black. setting aside my heat discussion on that choice, while in theory it might be more attractive, i don't know if bad team with bland unis is much of a recipe. even if people liked the look how many unis does a bad team with no marquee names sell. all the effort going into branding and logo and look, why? either they are deluded or it boils down to owning the place and i can change what i want. "ok, cal mcnair, you seem to be doing just great."

if i wanted to be more punchy i'd say the logo change, color shift, formation shift, just generally feels like we are running away from the old ways, which with the results we are getting doesn't feel brilliant or justified. it's kind of like the USMNT fans moaning about wanting slicker soccer and then we can't even sweep canada anymore. style over substance.

that being said, i wouldn't mind it if we had a good team and the old logo. i think we can all name kinnear era cool looks that weren't quite the standard issue orange and white. my beef is more like control freaking everything in this new direction and it actually kind of just keeps getting worse. the shirt is fine, least of it, but it kind of fits in with unearned arrogance as a whole to me. if you're going to change everything how about the GM, coach, players, and make this decent while you're at it.

my sense is this is like the astros or rockets and we'll be back full circle at some point. just like if you asked astros fans they wanted the 80s/90s back, or the rockets the same -- and that has a lot to do with winning and not just appearances -- in a few years when the logo momentum is spent and black is boring, it's going to be, "what can i do to get you back interested." and the response will be win games and bring back some of the old stuff.

last point, i don't think bland unis are really selling the look. if you really wanted to "brand" anew you needed not just the logo but the equivalent of the rainbow jersey. iconic. this one is forgettable. not bad, just nothing anyone is going to go nuts about or copy. the old team had the swoosh. where are the stripes/ sash/ other drama? how is this getting people excited? if you buy something this bland it's just because of which team it is.

for example.....that chevron jersey a couple years ago. that plus a new logo, that's bold. this is like you talked bold, kind of did it on an ok logo, then fizzled out on the unis and the roster. bland uni, journeyman roster. got 2 good players in sold for peanuts. just dissipated. sell, please.

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i think the chevron/swoosh thing gets at my style point which would be, colors aside, what is the "hook" or "look?" the peru sash, so to speak.

12. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I love it. Just wish the "championship silver" on the sleeves and collar was "space city blue".

CeltTexan and quiznatodd_bidness repped this.
  13. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Yea I’m probably gonna buy it in a week or two

14. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    1371658819495981060 is not a valid tweet id

The good thing about the season getting closer is that the new logo is starting to look more and more “normal”. Like soon it’ll be the logo and not so much the “new logo”.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig.

7seven7 repped this.
  16. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    Yea but also the pig isn’t going anywhere so might as well get used to it.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like our crappy ownership and FO and 6 of 7 seasons of lousy play and low finishes in the table? Should we get used to that too?

And they'll be some other fake Houston catchphrase and semi-rebrand in another few years to distract from 3 more seasons of cheap ownership spending. We've only had probably what now . . . 7 new jerseys since 2016? ​

18. quiznatodd_bidness

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Apr 14, 2020
    yea probably, I don’t have a crystal ball. I’m curious why you think that 7 different jerseys since 2016 is some sort of big deal when literally every MLS team gets at least one new jersey a year.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a life long Houston sports junkie so I have witnessed the rebrand and color switch for our Houston teams before. One thing for sure, once a rebrand happens, who knows what our crest will be in five seasons amigo mio!
    Just look at our city's Rockets, Les Alexander purchases the team immediately after the team wins back to back NBA championships. He decides a rebrand is in order. Thus the team switches from the iconic mustard and ketchup color scheme to the red, white and blue pin stripe pajama look. Sure enough, ever since messing with the brand and identity that saw the team win trophies for our city, the Rockets have rebranded twice after the first rebrand. Going to the Chinese National Team look when Yao Ming was on our roster. The red and white look. That lasted till just a few years ago when the Rockets decided to rebrand again and go for the current look of the red and black. So in 25 years that is three (3) rebrands and color changes. That is a rebrand every eight (8) NBA seasons. And our city has not won a championship since the first rebrand, never been back to the NBA Finals since the first rebrand on top of that, much less winning a title!
    Lastly, the Rockets think that since Harden is in town, owning restaurants and buying into the Dynamo, that a throwback look can be utilized with the Columbia Blue and Red a al our old NFL Oilers. Which is a terrific look save for the fact that Harden turned into a no show at training camp and is now playing in Brooklyn! Can't make that marketing stunt up!!! HA!
    So it is with our FO, what's next on our crest, our colors, for our club down the road. Again who knows what our players will be decked out in a few seasons.

Westside Cosmo repped this.