News: 2021 In-Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Apr 16, 2021.

1. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've seen of Mayaka with the Switchbacks, he's not MLS-ready yet, but also not too far away. Needs to be a bit stronger on the ball and quicker in making decisions.

2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    #277 unkiemark, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021

I too thought Vines played well v Canada. He was key defensively several times.

Acosta didn't have his best match, but after the first 20 minutes or so, none of the US midfielders did. Still, Acosta was directly involved in the US goal.

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, having seen Mayaka play several times, he isn’t ready. I think he’s better served getting minutes with the Switchbacks. The talent is clearly there. Mayaka will be with the Rapids next season. But right now, I find his play very naive. Case in point, he’s racked up 6 yellows in 425 minutes (9 games / 4 starts). Mayaka is a ball chaser. He wants nothing more than to make a play on the ball and disrupt the opponent’s attack. That’s great but…… he’s either pulled out wide or pushed too high. He can’t chase. As a result, the opponent is often playing the ball right into the space he’s vacated and that’s left his defenders under huge pressure. Then Mayaka is left running towards his own goal which has led to a few rash tackles, a jersey pull, etc. thus earning a yellow. 11 fouls committed have earned him 6 cards. I am afraid, right now, that will get exploited so much more at the MLS level. He’s learning to be a #6 and less of an #8. I see a lot of Diego Chara in him. Mayaka has a lot of bite to his game but he’s very clean with the ball. He can hit a 50 yard diagonal but can calmly play the ball out of pressure. I’m just of the opinion that he needs the Switchbacks more than the Rapids need him. He’s getting a better education playing than watching from the Rapids bench. I kind of sense he’s the guy that learns more from playing than observing.

SccrDon, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    In this piece, Pollard speculates that RBNY left back John Tolkin could be a long term option for the Rapids at left back with Vines leaving. Looks like Tolkin is getting serious playing time now, so he could be challenging to pry loose. And with Trusty looking solid at LB there may not be as much urgency to find another LB.

Mickey Ambrose (Atlanta) could be an option, however.

On the other hand, at the #9 (which IMO, is an area of need immediately) Jésus Ferreira (FCD) isn't getting time and has seen his time on the pitch drop over the the last couple of seasons. If he would fit with Fraser's style perhaps he could be the next player from Dallas to get more a jump start in Commerce City.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For comparison the Rapids are currently 6-3-3 (W-D-L). The 2016 Rapids were 7-3-2 at this point. In 2016 game 13 was a road win (in Seattle!) and game 14 was a home draw. The 2016 team wouldn't pick up its third loss until game 21, that 5-1 beatdown we took in NYC.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    #283 TheWarmBurger, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    I know Yarbrough had that one super questionable Zac MacMath-esque walkabout last night, and he also had a bad giveaway that led to him having to make an insane reaction save.

But he also has been an absolutely solid presence between the pipes this season.

You take out those two miscues last night (which he made up for throughout the game I think) and it's easy to see how he's tied with Joe Willis of Nashville SC as the league leader in shutouts, getting his 6th shutout in 13 games last night.

Yarbrough's got a 75% save rate right now, with a 1.0 Goals Against Average with 39 saves (or 3 saves per game)

Doing some digging, 29 GKs have started 6 or more games this season. Out of those 29, only 4 have a better save percentage than Yarbrough:

Brad Stuver (ATX) - 13 starts, 1.08 GAA, 80.6% saves, with 58 saves (4.5 per game)
    Andre Blake (PHI) - 12 starts, 0.92 GAA, 79.6% saves, with 43 saves (3.6 per game)
    Tyler Miller (MIN) - 9 starts, 0.67 GAA, 81.8% saves, with 27 saves (3 per game)
    Pedro Gallese (ORL) - 8 starts, 0.63 GAA, 82.1% save, with 23 saves (2.9 per game)

Joe Willis, the co-leader in shutouts is also sitting at a 1.0 GAA with Yarbrough, but has a lower save percentage (70%), and is only forced to make 2.4 saves per game. Which means, he's not facing as many threats as Yarbrough is, and when the threat comes, he's more likely to let it in.

I think the fact that he's got a good save percentage and on a high amount of saves per game shows overall that he's working well with the back line to limit the high-percentage opportunities from opposing teams. He's constantly barking out orders, re-organizing the back four/five, and always trying to keep the defenders awake and aware.

It's nice to hear a vocal leadership role back there, and I think it's helped improve our defense - along with Fraser's gameplanning and role distribution.

In terms of Goals Allowed this season, the ranking is as follows:
    1. Seattle, 9 GA through 14 games (which is INSANE)
      - by the way, we are one of those 9 goals :)

2. Columbus 12 GA through 14 games

3. Philadelphia with 13 GA through 14 games

4. Orlando AND Colorado 13 GA through 13 games

Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Through 13 games, the Rapids are now sitting at 1.85 PPG with a +8 GD. Both of those are 4th in the league for their category.

In total points, we're 5th in the Supporter's Shield race - but we also have games in hand over the teams in front of us.

We're also 5th in total goals scored in the league.

Which is crazy to think about after our 0-0 season opener to Dallas, followed by the 3-1 defeat to Austin the next weekend. Putting us at 0-1-1 (0.5PPG with a -2GD)...

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also had a cross go right through his hands and fall into the middle of the box in the second half. Luckily we were playing Dallas and they didn't have a player near it so Wilson(?) was able to just hoof it clear.

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic is reporting that the Rapids are working on a new contract with Fraser after a team asked for permission to talk to him about their head coaching position.

TFC can f*** all the way off with the idea of hiring him away from Colorado

12. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s nice to have a coach that’s wanted. It’s nice to have a little recognition. It’s nice others are paying attention. It’s nice to be good and relevant. It’s nice to puff out our chest knowing we have a good one. It’s also nice to tell someone to f*** off and go sit your ass down. That’s the best and proudest moment.

Up Fraser’s pay and lock him down for a little longer, he deserves it. We have a coach and he’s sticking around because he’s successful and not because of other BS.

Rod1916, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    How do we know it's TFC and not Atlanta? ;)

On a serious note, #eftfc and #keepyourhandsoffourmanager

JasonMa repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1418314917464068096 is not a valid tweet id

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else watching ATX vs Seattle on ESPN? I just watched the halftime segment and they were showing clips of all the midweek games. Unless I flat out missed it, the only game the didn’t show….. the Rapids match. Talk about total disrespect. Keep on ignoring the Rapids…..

JasonMa repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Gonna go out on a limb and predict that Acosta will be with the Nats for this match….given that he’s in their match announcement infographic

The World Cup Qualifier is on October 7th, which of course, is right on the end of the season when points are at a premium.

We play away at Seattle on October 3rd and away at Minnesota on October 9th.

So, I think it’s pretty safe to say we miss Acosta for the 9th, and potentially on the 3rd as well. Hard to say if Vines will get the callup, depending on the European based players.

COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Given the congestion with qualifiers (often 3 in short succession) there is likely to be a lot of squad rotation and the need for depth, it's likely that lots of players are needed and Acosta will get his fair share of time on the pitch for the Nats. At this point I would bet regardless of where Vines is playing come September he will also be needed by the Nats.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re probably right. Probably safe to assume
    Acosta will be with the Nats. But I think the real reason Acosta and McKennie were featured on that infographic is because they are both Texans and the match is in ATX.

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  19. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Ok. I know we harp on it a lot. But man. Can you name any player on the Rapids with a nose for goal like Ruidiaz?

1418414902910148609 is not a valid tweet id

Just instant reaction to a deflection, from way downtown, snap shot. In the net.

Just one person on the team. I can’t think of anyone who would take that shot.

We get a #9 like that with the rest of our build? I think we’re a title contender. I don’t want to take anything away from Rubio and what he brings. But man. That’s a different level of striker.

Paranoid Coyote and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruidiaz is absolutely my most coveted player in MLS. I totally agree with you-- a player like that would probably have turned those SJ and SEA draws into wins.

TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be Nice to pay a coach enough that every team in the league doesn't think they can easily pull him away.

TheWarmBurger and m vann repped this.
  22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slight Opening Ceremonies spoiler here:
    [​IMG]

AlbertCamus, jrowe13 and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  25. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder