2021 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Robert Borden, Sep 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Nassau County, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's good to type it is as text. The top two in each League A group and the winners of each League B group qualify, which is 12 teams. The second place teams from League B play the winners from League C in Qualifying Round 1. Those four winners play the third (last) place teams from League A in Qualifying Round 2, and those team qualify. Both rounds will be in two legs, with Qualifying Round 1 in March 2020 and Qualifying Round 2 in June 2020.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good a time as any to update this:

The group stage of the 2019-20 CNL has qualified the following teams to this next Gold Cup.

Mexico
    Honduras
    USA
    Costa Rica
    Panama
    Martinique
    Canada
    Curaçao
    Grenada
    El Salvador
    Jamaica
    Suriname

And the playoff draw for the final four berths:

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.19.01 PM.png

IASocFan repped this.
  4. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Johns Creek, Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Pretty much the best possible outcome for Guatemala coming out of League C (although I do recall them somehow losing to Cuba the last time they were in the Gold Cup in 2015). I don’t really want Cuba since they invariably make sure to get routed at least one game every Gold Cup, so I hope Guatemala takes them out and comes back from 6 years of Gold Cup purgatory.

Guyana gave Trinidad fits at the last Gold Cup, so they might be in trouble, too.

Haiti and Bermuda are the only two locks IMO.

edcalvi and IASocFan repped this.
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So with the COVID-19 provoking the suspension of games/empty stadium measures the world over, at some point Concacaf will have to make a decision on these Round-1 playoffs as well. Given that Concacaf isn't going to organize any major competition in the summer (beyond the Nations League finals), no reason they couldn't just play both rounds in June...

6. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Atlético Madrid
    May 1, 2005
    Nevada
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was really bummed out Guatemala v Montserrat wasn't scheduled earlier before covid19 got bad.