2021 DFL-Supercup: Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern München

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Aug 16, 2021.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I have grown to despise this match. This is just a glorified friendly for a meaningless trophy, and the only real reward is €3M. I have noticed that whenever we win the Supercup it has a strange effect on the team where they take the rest of the season for granted and finish empty-handed. On the other hand I don't like to lose, especially against Bayern, who might have been galvanized by Gerd Müller's passing.

Let's hope none of our players get injured.

2. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    I think winning can send a big message.

On team news shouldn't Meunier and Brandt be back by now? Apparently Hazard has an ankle injury and is out of the match.

For me this is a very important match, because Bayern still have one of the best 11 in the world and they also have strengths that play against our weakness.

I want to see how we can cope with the best. To gauge where we need to strengthen and prepare for the CL.

I think we can win the league this year even if we have a significantly weaker first 11 than Bayern, because they have no squad. However, I don't think in a one off game we can really go with the best teams in the world unlike last season.

astrophyz repped this.
  3. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    I'm not impressed by Bayern's squad honestly. In terms of skills they are similar to us. In terms of drive, mentality and experience is where they are better. I'm hoping with Rose we can catch up on the mentality side.

BVBFNM repped this.
  4. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Their squad is not impressive, but their first team sure is. Here is a very basic comparison.

Neuer>Kobel
    Davies>Guerreiro
    Hummels>Suele
    Akanji> Uppemencano
    Pavard> Meunier
    Kimmich >Dahoud
    Goretzka>Brandt/Bellingham
    Muller>Reyna
    Reus>Gnabry
    Coman>Malen/Hazard
    Lewandowski >Haaland.

It will be good to see tomorrow just how far we are from the top.

astrophyz repped this.
  5. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Brandt and Meunier will return to the team this week.

It's not a friendly, it should be seen as a glorified test game. It was usually the last game before the season really starts to see where you are at.
    Looking at past games, guys like Sancho definitely had fun beating Munich and we should treat is as a possibility to gain some confidence. So a few of the spots might go to young players (Knauff) or those who didn't really impress so far (Malen).

eaglespark and astrophyz repped this.
  6. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    Mostly agreed.. but I would say: Central defense is key! And we're better there.

- Also Kimich vs Dahoud.. they're very different, but Dahoud is definitely the better creator

- Coman vs Malen.. we haven't seen Malen yet.

- Also if you rearrange, you can say Reus > Muller, and then last year it was Sancho > Gnabry. But agreed that Gnabry would be better than Reyna today.

- Finally.. Lewandowski = Haland, at least. Plus Haland has age on his side.

eaglespark repped this.
  7. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yeh we had Sancho last year and I agree.
    Sadly Haaland being younger doesn't really matter for us, because he is leaving.
    I would also say when Piszczek was rested he was close to Pavard.

Fair point about Malen.

Last year we were as good as any team out there, but has a poor manager.

If you want to look at why Favre was so bad look at Portugal. Their manager managed to win the Euros with the a very weak Portuguese team, playing negative defensive, reserved football.
    However, he was completely clueless how to get the best of a quality team with the likes of Guerreiro, Neves, Sanchez, Bruno, Ronaldo, Joa Felix, Jota, Bernardo Silva, Moutinho, because he just doesn't know how to deal with such talent.

As of now I still think we lack a LP and Sancho replacement.

astrophyz repped this.
  8. astrophyz

astrophyz Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Boston, USA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    so then Haaland + 70mil > Lewa :p

9. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Kobel
    Passlack Witsel Akanji Schulz
    Dahoud
    Reyna Bellingham
    Reus
    Moukoko Haaland

I was looking forward to see Moukoko+Haaland together. 2 express trains but mainly through the center while we don't have the agile/fast players to light it up on the wings or wingbacks/fullbacks that are strong in offense.

Lineup looks interesting but it doesn't feel like the best setup against Bayern. We might have the numbers against their (superior) midfield but they own the wings.

10. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I missed the first 10 minutes but I like what I've seen the last few minutes. Reus should have converted that opportunity.

11. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    pretty good header and finish by Lewandowski

12. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    0-1 This is very frustrating... Already growing to hate Nagelsmann.
    We should be able to come back with the current effort but I am worried we won't be able to sustain it all game.

hava repped this.
  13. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Their shirt is so ugly...

14. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes, but Reyna let his man go. Poor play for him.

It's been an intense high pressing game, but sloppy. We have especially been sloppy with Reus, Passlack and Dahoud gifting Bayern chances.

Reus should have scored his chance.

Moukoko has been good and can cope at even this very high level already.

Mistakes are mistakes but Passlack as expected is way out of his league.

Bellingham and Reyna are out of their depth and actually the second biggest problem not coming back to control the ball. I know it is tough ask on them physically to come inside to get on the ball when we have it, but then run outwide when we lose it, but they are failing to do so.

15. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Yeah, has Nagelsmann always been such a clown on the sidelines? I don't remember him acting like this.

Reus and Haaland had good chances but otherwise we lack some composure and precision, partially due to the youth. Too many individual mistakes (Bellingham and Passlack with phases when they struggled), but I like the fire in the team, they won't just roll over.
    Unfortunately, not much class on the bench. I think Knauff is the type to help in defense against those fast players.

eaglespark repped this.
  16. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Chances were pretty equal if not slightly to our advantage but their players were able to finish once where ours didn't...

17. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Yes maybe bring on Knauff and Delaney. Then switch to a 4-2-3-1 to help deal with Bayerns wide men.

18. eaglespark

eaglespark Member+

Apr 9, 2015
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    It's 2-0 now, once again destroyed down our right.

19. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Well, it looks like we'll miss out on those €3M.

20. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    just dont have enough up front to keep up im afraid. A wing who could creat havoc would be nice.

21. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Offside goal Haaland. That pass to him was great though.

astrophyz repped this.
  22. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    pretty offputting that Gladbach can play them so close and we cant even get on the score sheet against them.

Every time I think we are close to them in my mind, it seems we are farther a part than I realize. We are injured in the defense I know, but man we havnt made great strides there in our depth either.

23. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    my wife and I intend to take a trip there next year, why the heck are they wearing such heavy coats already in August? Is it that cold already?

24. HockeytownHeel

HockeytownHeel Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    Jul 23, 2018
    Rues with a beauty of a goal. 1-2.

25. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Reus scores a nice goal. Bayern got a bit complacent while still waiting for their chances.