2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Mexico vs El Salvador; July 18, 2021

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by Philip J. Fry, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it’s time the Tata watch starts. We’ve been bad for a few games now.

LGRod repped this.
  2. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Nope. They only got better when Edson made that stupid gift and gave them life. Mexico was dominating and had to kill this game because the crowd gave them life. I think they expected El Salvador to fold like Guatemala and I can't blame them since I did too. Though the crowd gave them the boost.

It's a bad taste but it also funny how I read people on twitter about how El Salvador deserved the tie over 30 minutes and a save and hitting the woodwork. El Salvador was playing their best and still Talavera didn't have to make a save while Gonzalez had to make 2 great saves off shot by Pineda and Pulido for heaven's sake.

Also this shows how dumb commentary about Mexico hurts the team. Today had the "CONCACAF is so inferior" side that surprised Mexico when they turned it up and the worse which is the "Funes Mori vs Chicharito" debate, when it should be "Chicharito vs Pulido". There lies the problem.

3. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    #128 LAFEFUT, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    But that is all it does, marketing. Look at Javier Hernández in 2013 while at Manchester. Le dieron todo un hexagonal y por poco Mexico queda fuera del mundial si no fuera por el esfuerzo de otros y la ayuda de los EEUU. In all that hexagonal, Mexico only scored 7 goals with Hernández. Without him vs NZ, 9. I think the distances are not what they were 20 years ago but football in Mexico is badly managed.

i think RJ9 was doing very well but then you have Guti in the other end of the spectrum

arturod repped this.
  4. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Also, Guardado, Herrera, Araujo, and maybe even Jimenez probably might not be playing in the top tier leagues in Europe when 2026 rolls around. Depressing indeed.

Robertinho21 repped this.
  5. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yup it was Hernandez fault that Mexico did so poorly in that hex. You forgot Gio and the European divas infladas to complete the Martinoli argument....

6. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    rotflmfao good riddance, those barbarians had it coming

beat junky and SGuerrilla repped this.
  7. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    I am sure it was everyone else’s fault except Hernández

8. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Everybody is forgetting that our youth is in Japan. Mexico has a problem in that they misjudged the tournament and decided to give it as a 2nd place prize for the ones that didn't went to the Olympics and we are weak when we need to make subs. Thus why if Pineda and Funes Mori have a bad game, we're screwed.

Colima24 repped this.
  9. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yep it was Hernandez fault that we had the Aztecazo or that Liga MX player couldn't stop Jamaica in Azteca. Like how Mexico did so much better in that Gold Cup without the Euros where Panama beat us twice. Pero lo que diga Martinolli....

la fresa, DGreat, arturod and 2 others repped this.
  10. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    #135 LAFEFUT, Jul 19, 2021
    La cantidad de goles sencillos fallados después de 50 servicios, el gol que falló vs Costa Rica, no poder meter gol después de dos años en la Liga MLS etcétera . Los demás son culpables menos el Chicharo.

11. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Cuales 50 servicios? Si Mexico no creaba nada en esa epoca. Los ultimos 2 partidos Mexico estaba super apretado por todo lo que no hizo con lo basura del Chepo. Pero como TV Azteca no se daba cuenta en eso porque capaz que sentaba a Jesus Corona, la culpa es de las divas y por eso gente despues queria ir al Mundial con pura gente de Liga MX y nos hubieran acabado en vez de tener el mejor mundial desde 1998.

Todos los partidos se los ganaba al Chepo pero la culpa es de Chicarito y el marketing. :rolleyes:

SGuerrilla repped this.
  12. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Chaka wasn't super great but he was alright at first. But he got injured and took a nose dive but his substitute is Kevin Alvarez and I bet everything that Martino didn't want to sub him in because he might not be able to cope which is understandable but then don't use the Gold Cup as a consolation prize for players if they aren't "ready".

13. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    El Salvador no tuvo ninguno tiro a portería hasta el minuto 63 o algo así que fue el error de Alvarez. De ahí en fuera tomaron confianza (aunque primero fue la atajada al tiro de Funes Mori) y llegaron mucho, pero sin tantos tiros a puerta. Gallardo especialmente fue una avenida. Dos Santos tampoco aportó el orden defensivo en medio campo que se suponía debió haber impuesto.

beat junky, Ron Mexico and LGRod repped this.
  14. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Gallardo ha estado mal este 2021 pero en este partido totalmente lo unico que queria hacer es irse al ataque y fue un caos. Me acuerda cuando Osorio casi dijo que le habia dicho a Paul Aguilar que "nuestros laterales lo primero que tienen que hacer es defender" y por eso lo limpio despues del 7-0. Hoy pense mucho en esa frase.

Lo mas que me saco del tiro fue que Talavera no habia tenido que hacer ninguna atajada en la Copa Oro y yo queria que se fuera asi hasta los 4tos. Igual esa y el palo y ya mas nada pero asi es esto.

15. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chaka heading out to West Hollywood.
    [​IMG]

beat junky and SGuerrilla repped this.
  16. SGuerrilla

SGuerrilla Member+

Sep 8, 2014
    en la cueva
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You didn't scroll down enough...

1295964074077913091 is not a valid tweet id

:geek:

17. El Chanclas

El Chanclas Member+

Nov 21, 2008
    Never in my years did I imagine Mexican fans would be outnumbered by Salvies in Dallas of all places. Also was something to see all the Hondureños in Houston against Panama. Not so surprising in Houston, but it shows you that demographic changes stop for no man.

As far as the game, Mexico got the win. It’s all that matters. Same kind of result for US and the Fox guys are raving about it. Stupid yellow Mexican press needs to quit expecting perfection because they used to crush teams like this back in the day. No one will care that they only beat El Salvador by one goal if they win the tournament, except for the press. They make it their job to gin up controversy to get clicks and views.

Serg33 and SGuerrilla repped this.
  18. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    This is a big thing in my mind regarding the doom on the last few pages about Mexico not producing. Just because this is the team playing doesn’t mean it’s technically the best players produced. A lot of this is partially the Olympics (lainez is an absolute game changer), coaches or players decision (chicharito and vela), or injuries (chucky). To equate last nights game with a level of production seems really reactionary. If Mexico goes on to win the the tournament (not inconceivable) and do well in the Olympics, will it be because of marketing? Will be still suck at producing players?

The one thing which I wonder is why coaches, when given the four years, tend to hit a wall after two initially promising years. Chepo, Osorio and now Tata seem to have similar patterns of this

Serg33, SGuerrilla, DGreat and 2 others repped this.
  19. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I was happy to see the pro guanaco crowd last night. A hostile environment is a welcome change and only makes the tournament better. It would be a lot better if the tournament shifted to a home, away, neutral group stage.

Mexico responded well to start the match, and probably should have had a 2-0 lead at half. The combo of the crowd and Mexico’s tired legs gave ES life. It didnt help that Mexico’s midfield eroded like it did vs Holland in 2014. El Salvador had Mexico beaten in every way except in the way it mattered most.
    Mexico has a week off before playing Honduras, Panama, or Qatar.

LGRod, El Verde, DGreat and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    SGuerrilla repped this.
  21. SkiptoMyLou

SkiptoMyLou Member+

Mar 20, 2011

Vela is way better than Orbelin, but who knows if he would have accepted a call up to the Mickey Mouse Cup.

22. LAFEFUT

LAFEFUT Member+

Mexico
    Mar 13, 2018
    Vela wants nothing to do with the Mexican National team. Vela is probably my favorite Mexican player but he won’t make those type goals in a better league. Not even in Liga MX.

ShockMaster repped this.
  23. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  24. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

25. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #150 Ron Mexico, Jul 19, 2021
    Where's @Serg33 to tell folks to cool the fvck down.? Lol

If I go by the last few years, I don't think performances in the Gold Cup are at all indicator of WCQ performances.

A prime example being Jamaica made it to the final back to back only to be dead last in their group and failed to qualify to the Hex round. Decent performances by Haiti and Martinique as well only to fail as well. Not even mentioning how the winners of the 2017 edition where the 2nd worse team in the 2018 hex

LGRod, beat junky, GrandeSoccer and 2 others repped this.