2021 CCL Round of 16 - Leg 1: Saprissa vs. Union, April 7, 2021

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Union42, Apr 6, 2021.

?

Predict The Outcome: Saprissa v. Union

1. Win

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Loss

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Tie

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 msilverstein47, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    cwelch999 repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that is possible, referee saw what took place and gave a card...there can be no post-match reversal of that decision. Only if he didn't see the infraction can the powers administer post-match justice.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your GK doesn't get out there and start helping with getting some player separation...it REALLY could have been ugly.

4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CONCACAF refereeing. Those are the only two words that explain it.

Any other confederation in the world, that's a send-off and a multiple-match ban.

5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #31 WVUPharm2007, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Well, not literally. The disciplinary committee can give a post game one (or more) game suspension, which is colloquially called "giving them a red".

So, no, the ref won't literally be handing out a card, but CONCACAF can dicipline the player for the next match. Which they should.

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can be given to that mode of thinking since the “that’s so Union” mentality had been drilled into my mind for years—starting with the stadium design downgrade before anything was built, and continuing with how the roster was built along with all the on-field performance failures.

However, the difference I see in the Union of recent times is the quality I see in the midfield. It’s a real difference maker with genuine results. They move and possess the ball better and with greater conviction than any previous iteration of this club, and it certainly makes for a better product to watch. It’s very helpful to also have someone like Kasper, when in form, who possesses a lot of finishing technique and quality which works well with such a midfield. Simply put, they can do some things with greater consistency than previous eras of this franchise.