2021 CCL Round of 16 - Leg 1: Saprissa vs. Union, April 7, 2021

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Union42, Apr 6, 2021.

?

Predict The Outcome: Saprissa v. Union

1. Win

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Loss

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Tie

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2021 CCL Round of 16 - Leg 1
    Saprissa vs. Philadelphia Union

DATE / TIME:

Wednesday, April 7, 2021
    6:00 PM ET

Estadio Ricardo Saprissa
    San Jose, Costa Rica

MLS Match Preview

Sorry I don't have the fancy thread template with stadium pics and weather forecasts, but this should at least get us started. Best case scenario is the Union keep a clean sheet and bag an away goal, but this will be tough one with the home crowd, injuries, and the fact that we are just coming out of our pre-season...and then there's those fabulous CONCACAF referees!

2. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm starting the season full on Nexus. Loss 4-3.

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS clubs historically have struggled mightily when playing in Central America. Overall, MLS may be a superior league to that of the Costa Rican first division, but Saprissa is a big fish and they always have guys with a good level of skill, and they play with great confidence at home. Given that the Union haven’t played a competitive match in many months, will have a tough time filling the hole left by Brenden, the fact that this is this club’s first ever Champions League appearance, and the reality that I’m not too keen on them repeating their achievements from last season, I don’t see how they get a result in this one. My hope is on Blake keeping things just close enough for a chance in the second leg.

Union42 and cwelch999 repped this.
  4. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Is this at that f'ed up stadium with the asstroturf that plays like they glued some welcome mats directly to concrete?

5. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know what COVID restriction situation in Costa Rica is for fans going to stadiums? Saprissa will certainly bcome to play either way whether their fans are there or not, but at least they won't have the energy of the crowd behind them.

6. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Wikipedia, they ripped out the astroturf and replaced it with grass in 2015.

sentrido repped this.
  7. cwelch999

cwelch999 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, thanks for getting this up! In the back of my mind, I thought "it's not until April, I've got plenty of time" but time works funny during the pandemic.

Union42 repped this.
  8. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I hear you on that! No worries, you've posted more than your fair share of these over the years!

cwelch999 repped this.
  9. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it will be 68 degrees and raining at 6PM in Costa Rica tonight. Tony Fontana brace incoming.

10. christie3

christie3 Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Rising Sun, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking the lack of strikers will have a bigger impact on this game than Fontana replacing Aaronson.

Blake will make some great saves keeping the Union in the game. Fontana scores a cheeky goal to tie things up 1-1, in a game where they should be down by 3.
    I may just be optimistic because this is their first ever Champions League match and I'm pumped.

Yo-Joe repped this.
  11. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many of our players actually have experience playing in environments like this. Blake and Bedoya have a lot of CONCACAF experience with their NT's, and I imagine Jamiro and Mbaizo's experiences representing their NT's in Africa is similar to CONCACAF. El Brujo, Ilsinho, etc. all have club experience in South America, so at least they'll all have a good idea of what to expect and be a sounding board for the younger guys.

12. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That's 7 more goals than I'm expecting.

13. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m hoping I can watch this. Feeling positive. Draw.

Actually I have my doubts about how the Union will do down there.

14. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union in the CONCACAF Champions League?

[​IMG]

OwlSaver, cwelch999 and drewuke repped this.
  15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll tell you what. For some reason I love these kits with Bimbo on them instead of Artisano. I'd wear the Bimbo version. It's like cartoonishness overload and works somehow.

Union42 and aztec21bas repped this.
  17. Yo-Joe

Yo-Joe Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Montco/Philadelphia, USA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Looking surprisingly good at the half! Liking Flach, and that was a beautiful cross from Mbaizo.

cwelch999 and Union42 repped this.
  18. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ending is what I pictured in my head when imagining the Union in a CONCACAF game. That ref walking around in circles trying to card all the players was comical. I assume dual studs up sliding tackle guy will get a red when they review it. On the other hand, it's CONCACAF, so who knows.

19. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Had it DVRd so just finished watching. Real salty. The end was like an old bench clearing in hockey where it would only end up with only one guy in the box for roughing or something.

cwelch999 repped this.
  20. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big win for you guys on the road! As an official who follows this stuff, I can tell you I have a better chance of refereeing a MLS match this season (I'm mid-40s and work high school, club, and a little small-college soccer) than Blanco has of receiving any type of post-fact suspension for that assault.

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first competitive game....very promising considering all of the injuries. Helluva result on the road.

Flach was solid. Montiero looked like the Jamiro of 2019. Mbaizo looked much improved as well. Kacper looked lively/dangerous.

That said...Saprissa didn't look good. Sluggish, methodical. MLS teams won't play like that.

Oh, and as the kids like to say: The Union's new change kit is FIRE!

22. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gladly eat my words! Honestly, I did not know the kind of form Saprissa had been in and also disregarded the factor an empty stadium can play. Even with those acknowledgements, it was still an accomplishment most MLS teams have not historically made in Costa Rica and a fantastic effort from these guys. Looking forward to seeing the kind of mood these teams will be in next week given how it ended—a clear red card challenge. Great way for Curtin to get his 100th win. That away goal is huge.

Love these new blue kits. Far better than the sonorous, unremarkable all-white kit.

cwelch999 repped this.
  23. WVUPharm2007

WVUPharm2007 Member+

Jul 24, 2011
    Montgomery Township, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm full on team Bimbo new kit.

Artisano New kit is trash.

sentrido repped this.
  24. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    As Stu Holden alluded in the broadcast last night I think many will continue to view this team as the Union* since the win was against a team in poor form and playing in an empty stadium during the pandemic. They will say the Union* are only winning because of some special circumstances and are really not that good. Hell, took me some time last year not to think like that.

The thing is, the Union* are playing in the same circumstances as everyone else and doing it better than most. I'm not thinking they win the thing but man, that was a mighty fine hit last night if you are a Union junkie. Good to see the goal from Kasper and maybe he will be more loose the rest of the year now.

25. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing for me. So much about a striker's success is confidence, and I have to think an away goal in CCL to open the season is nothing but a good thing for Kasper.

Cherry Hill SOB repped this.