2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades New Member

Liverpool FC
    Scotland
    Oct 22, 2021
    ytrs - you're just wrong. I posted an assistant position - 100 male applicants, 3, yes 3 female applicants. None of them as qualified as the top 10 male applicants. HOWEVER, I was told to interview 1 of them. I in fact hired a female. Had nothing to do with some "good old boys network". I think (not scientific) the lack of applicants I think it's because females are smarter and more evolved than men and think "why do I want to do THIS for a living".....

ThePonchat repped this.
  2. Jackofalltrades

Liverpool FC
    Scotland
    Oct 22, 2021
    I think the lack of female applicants is because females are smarter....

Sorry for the typo errors in original post......

Soccermom21 repped this.
  3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Your one example does not make me wrong. For every true opening there are 15 openings that already have a candidate set before the job posts.

4. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    No it is not. But historically and currently there have been more male coaches. So if men hire their friends the statistics will continue as they have.

5. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Have you ever tried to fire an assistant? If my life is on the line, yes I am going to hire someone I can trust in positions that matter. Unfortunately, there are a lot of guys and gals out there that aren't willing to start out as a second assistant to gain that trust and be recognized and recommended to go elsewhere.

6. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    From my experience as a coach pleading for alumni, grad assistants, former players, even female club coaches to stay in the college coaching game offering any who want to be a college coach help finding a position and next to zero want to put up with all the bullshit head coaches put up with or assistants for very little pay. The saying that women are smarter than men, in this case its true. Most college coaches get paid a teachers salary, $40k-$80k a year and they give up their social life, work 70-80 hours a week, stressful job environment and very little gratitude. At positions I've stepped down from, I have tried my hardest to encourage my female assistants to step in as the next head coach for their first time leading a program themselves, even saying I'd help them, teach them the ropes and allow them to call me for advice if they needed it. I have tried this half a dozen times now to encourage my assistants to take bigger roles as head coaches, and so far, 0-6. They don't want it. They like being around the game, but don't want the pressure and parents and attitudes that head coaches deal with often times.

Some of my old Universities admins I have a good relationship with still, I have personally helped them to call female head coaching candidates to try and help them head hunt females from former pro players, former national team players, former and current D1 assistant coaches, and what do many say when offered, and I quote from a great female player I thought would be a superb coach and role model when I asked if she would take a D1 head job this year, "Hell no. At no time in my life will I ever coach college. Are you crazy. Terrible pay, terrible hours, and tons of stress and hassle. No thank you, that's a hard pass". This same thing plays out again and again. In my experience, not so much a good old guys scenario where the guys get all the promotions and the jobs, on the contrary, there are very few female candidates applying for these head coaching jobs the past few years, and 30 times the male applicants applying.

Many of the female head coaches are turning down offers to move on and be a head coach, I know of three this year offered head jobs and chose to stay put instead. My former assistant, great person, great assistant coach who was ready to be a D1 head coach, she was offered 2 D1 head coaching jobs in a period of two years, said no to both, and instead chose to go work in the private sector and make more money after putting five years into college coaching, she said nuh uh, I don't wanna do this forever. It's a tricky balance, but lots of factors in play for why the percentage of female head coaches is low. Lots resigning and moving on to more happy avenues in life with less stress, Lauren Hansen for example at SJSU, great coach, good person, stepped away.

There's more to life than just coaching. Lots of better careers out there for pay, for less stress, less crazies. Just my one cent.

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I’m there are definitely way more men wanting to coach than women and that for sure counts towards the crazy imbalance in job applications, it is just unfortunate that this results in some instances where a male might be vastly more qualified than the female applicant but the latter is given the position based on gender. Males also seem to be less sure of what they want to do after college and sometimes just land into coaching, where women (if I compare the mens and womens programs at my current school) are more academically driven and have careers in mind via their majors.

Footyballs repped this.
  8. Jackofalltrades

Liverpool FC
    Scotland
    Oct 22, 2021
    "For every true opening there are 15 that are set before the job is posted" Wow. I didn't know that. Where was that information published, I'd like to read up on it.

9. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    It is a generalization and you are fully aware of that. Just go look around and who hires who. Anyone who has been in the game for any length of time knows that most head coaches know who they want to hire. Job search openings are most often not really open.

10. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    You need more friends

11. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dr. Kristine Turner from Monmouth to Upenn. What is still open?

Soccermom21 repped this.
  12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    That was sure a mature response to a simple statement that many on these board know to be accurate.

13. Jackofalltrades

Liverpool FC
    Scotland
    Oct 22, 2021
    Just like people that have been "in the game for any length of time" know that there is a distinct and disproportionate number of males that apply for college coaching positions. Whether they are qualified, who knows......but it extends beyond my "one example"

14. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    By your one example I meant that you had a genuine search and hired a female. I am fully aware that many more men apply for positions.

15. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. No one wants that job. No one. Also she’s labeled as interim. There isn’t an AD in place to be in the hot seat. But you’re right the department…well is awful. She’s a warm body with that youthful exuberance. What’s she going to do, turn it down?

But yeah they have no shot at anything significant, but maybe they don’t concede 80 goals. But they probably will.

BigBear and Futholic repped this.
  16. Red Stars

Red Stars Member

PSG
    Serbia
    May 19, 2022
    Seton Hall has had candidates in and made offers and already turned down twice. Only offering year to year contract. Don’t know how a Big East program thinks they can get a half decent coach with that term of offer. Would expect they hire a younger, less experienced coach if they stick with that plan.

17. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    You have to figure Monmouth will give the job to KF if she wants it. Been there for 10 years. This may be reading too much into it, but they also didn't mention that they would be doing a national search for KT replacement in the release.

And, of course, Seton Hall is still open. Even if they were giving out 5 year contracts that still would be the worst job in the Big East. Short term contracts makes it even difficult to fill. They play in a baseball outfield no matter how they try to fix it up. The only way you get good there is recruit international.

18. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  19. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    honestly, surprised that High Point is still open. what's not to love about an on-campus fine dining steak house. That alone should bring in the candidates!

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Not being able to stack scholarships,
    plastic turf field,
    salary for HC or AC's not high enough,
    contract term not long enough,
    quality of life in Highpoint NC,
    quality of the one-bid Big South conference......just a few ideas.

These may or may not be reasons that Brandi left HP but if I was interested in this job, she is the first person I would reach out to.

GetStarted and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  21. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so the steakhouse doesn't make up for all of that? hmmm

Footyballs repped this.
  22. Sledhead

Sledhead Member

Atalanta
    United States
    Jul 14, 2019
    They obviously haven't tried the coffee rubbed filet.

2233soccer repped this.
  23. Futholic

Futholic New Member

Manchester United
    Belgium
    Mar 16, 2022
    I heard that the Akron Assistant position has been posted , which may mean that the HC job has been filled. Any ideas?

24. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Heard former Cincinnati assistant coach is taking the Akron job. Don’t know how credible that rumor is but I’ve heard it from a few people

Fitballer and Futholic repped this.
  25. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    which former assistant?