2021-22 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by ThePonchat, Oct 26, 2021.

1. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #876 cpthomas, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    ThePonchat, good work on the list and keeping it updated. I have yet to see anything firmly showing that Eric Johnson will be gone from the Western Illinois women; and he still is on their website and in their directory. Is it firm that he will be leaving that head coaching position? (In 2021, they had their best RPI rank since 2007.)

Fitballer repped this.
  2. 352formation

352formation Member

Reading FC
    Dec 4, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The job is posted. He will remain the Men’s coach.

SpeakeroftheHouse and Fitballer repped this.
  3. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    If you should be surprised with anything, it’s the fact that McAlpine stayed as long as he did considering how poorly USC paid him. UCLA paid Cromwell fairly well but with this new hire, it’s about half of what AC was making. You will be able to see that next year as it’s public knowledge. UCLA was never going to hire a established sitting head coach with that type of approach.

4. justasoccerfan

justasoccerfan New Member

Nov 8, 2021
    It is shocking to me that the open positions have not been filled yet. Poor job by the schools not to have a coach in place for this weekend. With the ECNL event in Florida and the dead period ending schools are really handcuffing the coaches and putting them behind the 8 ball off the start. Not being able to meet with players in the portal or go and recruit in Tampa is a bad look.

SpeakeroftheHouse repped this.
  5. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    I think this is possible for sure.

6. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    State school and coach has been there a long time. Change is still likely but could be a little longer until resolved.

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you @cpthomas!

The job was initially posted on Chronicle (which is the top higher ed job board, just not normally for coaches) on December 27. Since it is a state school, the posting could just be a formality and they plan on hiring Josee Primeau, who has been at WIU for quite some time and is currently the Associate Head Coach.

As most know, typically in the doubling of coach roles the HC chooses one team to focus on and allows assistant(s) to take care of the other team. I would imagine that has been the case at WIU since they went to the structure.

SpeakeroftheHouse, BigBear and Fitballer repped this.
  8. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. What do you think, we coach basketball or football? Come on, ECNL events and this dead period play a 0% factor in the timeline of getting coaches in place. Furthermore, I bet some ADs don't mind dragging it out if it means they can save a few months of salary on the budget.

9. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004

you seem to get "fired up" when you have bad takes. the things you get angry about in our discussions - are usually about your liberal views of the world which are extremely harmful to society.

10. soccerlover11

soccerlover11 New Member

Orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 4, 2022
    I agree with you @6peternorth9. Losing McAlpine is a tough loss for USC. Any update on who USC is considering?

luckystrikz and Fitballer repped this.
  11. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Eh--you're getting political here, dude--and need I remind you that one can (and will ) make the opposite point--that your conservative views are very harmful to society?

HeadSpun, ytrs and Fitballer repped this.
  12. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    New Mexico’s coach was the last person on campus. Not a great offer so we will see what happens.

luckystrikz and soccerlover11 repped this.
  13. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Heard that Jason hasn't gone to UGA and is trying to get the USC job....

14. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    UNM Lobos coach hasn't been mentioned yet in the circles for the big positions open who would do well. Heather was offered the Portland Job a few years ago, she declined. Heard they contacted her for the UW Huskies job, also didn't show interest. Heard she did visit the USC campus as well, but lets see if she also declines. UNM for a mid major job Is taking care of her handsomely especially considering the cost of living there is so low compared to California. It doesn't pay as well as USC I don't think, but then again Cali costs way too much. Then again, not many coaches want to go to live in Albuquerque, the car robbery capital of the south. We'll see how it shakes out. But Heather is a good coach, has led her team well there.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They should have been throwing whatever they had at Heather to get her to take that job. This hire will end up like Arizona and UCLA with a female coach who isn’t ready to be a head coach but gets the job because of gender. Give Heather the $ and you get a coach that will do great, or under pay and suffer the consequences.

luckystrikz and Footyballs repped this.
  16. luckystrikz

luckystrikz New Member

Orlando Pride
    United States
    Jan 5, 2022
    I heard Jason hasn’t left as well and with McAlpine bringing his other assistant along, it will be interesting to see if Jason can secure the USC job even though he doesn’t have head coaching experience. The door is open for him at UGA. I don’t think USC feels the need to hire a female head coach and this should present more options.

Curious to know if anyone other than the UNM Lobos coach or Jason has been in the mix recently?

soccerlover11 repped this.
  17. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    Dec 19, 2018
    I agree. The thing with those big name schools though isn't just the Salary, its the camp money. Jennifer Rockwood for example had a salary for decades of around $50,000 is all. But they would bring in $500,000k as a program from their summer camps, each one sold out at $250-$425 per kid with 300-400 kids a week So Jenn would make $50k salary, free car provided to drive via sponsorship, then $60-$80k additional for camp money. So for a once affordable Utah, she'd be making $110k-$130k per year year for 20 years, that's good money for Utah. Now her salary is higher and gets camp, and her assistants rake in camp money too. And the excess go's back into the program.

UCLA, USC, have to make similar for their camp money. So if the coach is making $150k per year, can make equal to that in camp money. UCLA cost for full camp last year was $570 per full camper. With 400 campers, one week of camp brings in $228,000. Times three weeks of camps, almost $700,000. Minus $150k in expenses to run the camp. Still $550k profit. Athletic department takes 25-30 percent so minus $150k, the remaining coaches walk away with $400k in camp profit at those prices. That means 3 coaches walk away with $133k each if equally split. I'm guessing head coach takes bigger cut though. :) Camps in big schools is where its at, supplemental income.

18. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    camps are also where “volunteer coaches” get paid.

Soccerguy1022 and Footyballs repped this.
  19. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    That is not the case. My understanding is that McAlpine advocated for him but the administration said no thanks.

luckystrikz repped this.
  20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Jen Klein seemed like an obvious choice for USC. Is she not interested?

21. soccerlover11

soccerlover11 New Member

Orlando pride
    United States
    Jan 4, 2022
    I agree. Did she interview or get offered the job?

luckystrikz repped this.
  22. luckystrikz

luckystrikz New Member

Orlando Pride
    United States
    Jan 5, 2022
    Thank you, that’s a bummer. Any chance you think they’d change their mind if no better candidate takes the job? With pay being an issue to attract talent and he’s willing to take the pay, what would be the downside to keeping him? It looks like Jen Klein‘s contract at Michigan was extended through the 2025 season.

23. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Highly unlikely given that they are only interested in hiring a female coach. The New Mexico coach is their best bet as she was willing to come visit knowing what the offer would be, unlike most others they reached out to.

luckystrikz repped this.
  24. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    Dec 19, 2018
    UNM head coach declined USC offer. Dunno if they will counter offer. They will be running thin on female qualified candidates if all three declined this week.

luckystrikz repped this.
  25. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Won't be surprised if Texas State hires Lance Key this week if not the Hardin Simmons is an option. Either way he will not be coach the Ragin Cajuns as I mentioned earlier.